Seven

Love's Puzzle Pieces

Days passed. Yesung still hadn’t talked to Ryeowook, because he could never seem to get her alone. Kyuhyun was practically super glued to her. Yesung’s anger and frustration built up day by day, watching Kyuhyun saying something into Ryeowook’s ear, listening to her tinkling laughter break out as she grasped the joke …

---

Ryeowook had been surprised at the way Kyuhyun talked to her so easy at first. He had acted as if he’d known her for years. She’d been kind of embarrassed at first, but slowly warmed to him. She was feeling lonely and abandoned since Yesung had stopped speaking to her, and she couldn’t expect Eunhyuk to be there for her all the time, as she had a boyfriend now. Sungmin was miles away in another school – she had her own stuff on too. Needing someone to be beside her, she had accepted Kyuhyun’s company easily. Much more easy than she would have had if Yesung had still been there for her. But there were differences. In her mind, firmly set in, was her love for Yesung. Kyuhyun was just a good friend.

Kyuhyun, however, did not think so. And Yesung knew it.

---

Kyuhyun had had a rocky love life behind him. In his hometown, he’d done well at school, was a national basketball player; he had striking good looks, well-toned body, brains; he seemed perfect. Except for one thing.

His relationships.

He’d had had at least six girlfriends in the past year. None of them had ever worked out. Each girl, one by one, had slowly drifted away from him, and all had one common parting line: “I thought you loved me.”

He didn’t know what love was and how it was like anymore. Disillusioned and hurt, he’d ended up a playboy. He was well-known in his hometown for having left a string of broken hearts behind him – until his father had been transferred to Korea.

Where he unconsciously started all over again.

With Ryeowook this time.

---

-two weeks later-

Ryeowook was getting increasingly uncomfortable with Kyuhyun. He was good company, a good friend – but it was beginning to show that he obviously didn’t think of her as just a friend.

---

Yesung gritted his teeth and shut his eyes to block out the sight in front of him. Things were advancing fast. He needed to talk to Ryeowook. Soon.

---

-Monday, English class-

Ryeowook was playing with her pen, staring absent-mindedly at the nib moving though the air, just a small pointed blur. At least that was all Yesung thought she was doing.

It was not as innocent as it looked. While she looked like the typical girl just not paying attention in class, she was taking this chance to look at Yesung more closely. She rarely got to see him nowadays, except during classes. Though they never spoke, there was a feeling of content between them, to just be able to sit next to each other, to know the other person was there.

Ryeowook breathed in deep the light citrus scent that always hung around Yesung. His shower gel, she supposed. She didn’t care what it was, really. It was the smell of Yesung, and that was all she cared about.

She dropped the pen, yawned slightly, and turned a page of her book. Propping her chin on her hands, she faced the whiteboard, staring blankly at it. The wind blew softly through the classroom window from Yesung’s direction, and she caught the citrus scent stronger this time. She smiled to herself.

Yesung saw her smiling. Though he didn’t know why she was happy, but as long as she was happy, he was happy too. He smiled.

---

That someone heaved a sigh of relief as a couple of puzzle pieces settled themselves into place. 
Though he didn’t understand why things were fitting together.
Wasn’t jealousy supposed to be bad?
He shook his head.
Maybe he wasn’t as good as he thought he was. 
This was only this third after all.

-----------

 

Ryeowook bit at her lip, looking over the sheet of paper her Social Studies teacher had just given out, trying to prevent her eyes from flicking to her left too often, where Yesung sat two seats away. The project they had just been assigned to do required five people in a self-formed group, and automatically, when the blank group listings came around, Eunhyuk penned both hers and Ryeowook’s name for a new group. She was about to pass the paper on when Donghae gave her a wounded look. She sighed, pulled the paper back towards herself, and inked Donghae’s and later Yesung’s name as Donghae frantically poked her and pointed at Yesung as well. She passed the paper to Ryeowook. Ryeowook passed it on to Kyuhyun … who wrote his name on. Ryeowook’s eyes widened.

"You’re joining our group?" He looked up at her, smiling (from Yesung’s point of view) slightly demonically.

"Why, am I unwelcome?" Ryeowook flushed.

"No, of course not… that’s not what I meant…" She avoided his eyes, chewing at her bottom lip.

"Then why not?" Kyuhyun finished his name with a flourish and passed the paper on. "There was one space available in your group anyway. Better for me to join than someone else you don’t know. And I can accompany you."

Ryeowook’s face was so red she could feel an odd burning feeling. She mumbled something polite in reply and turned away from him.

Yesung could hear every word loud and clear. It was no wonder, the way he was straining to hear their conversation. His eyes narrowed.

Three seats away, Kyuhyun was very aware of Yesung’s gaze burning two holes in his back. He stiffened, telling himself this was a fair fight – this was a free country and he had the right to like any girl he chose.

Yesung slouched back into his seat, his eyes dark and shuttered. This was war.

---

After the class, as Ryeowook hurried out of the room, Yesung caught sight of ... blood.

He ran after her and caught her arm, turning her around, and gasped. Her lip was bleeding heavily.

"What happened?" Yesung asked as he dug around in his bag for a tissue. When he had patted most of the blood off, Ryeowook stared at the bloody tissue in his hand.

"I don't know ... I was worried, then I think I was chewing on my lip too hard." She took the tissue from Yesung's hand and touched it again to her lip, wincing. "I'm okay. Thanks."

Yesung had wanted to ask her what she was worried about, but she'd gone. The only thing left behind was a faint scent of her, lingering on the warm morning air.

---

Someone fidgeted, playing with his fingers as a couple more puzzle pieces fitted themselves into place.
He thought it was rather abrupt .. but what did he know.

==========================================================

Another update! Enjoy and comment!!