Two

Love's Puzzle Pieces

-the first day of school-

Ryeowook stared up at the school building.
It had got to be at least 2 times bigger than that of her primary school.

It wasn't hard to get lost in there.
It was a comfort that Eunhyuk was there next to her
and would always be there for her.

Eunhyuk wasn't so easily daunted, but she was nervous too.
Sungmin wasn't there to talk, to make noise, to repel any bad feelings hanging around.
Pasting on a smile despite her nervousness she took Ryeowook's hand.

"Come on. We can't stand around here forever," she said.

Ryeowook glanced around.

"Er .. do you, like, want to wait for Donghae and Ye-Yesung?" Ryeowook choked over Yesung's name. "I mean, they come to this school too, it might be better if we went about as a group .. er, because this school is so big .. " She looked beseechingly at Eunhyuk.

"But we didn't arrange to meet them .. anyway, they might have gone in already-" Eunhyuk began, but she saw Ryeowook's face she stopped. "Fine, we'll wait ten minutes. If we don't see them by then we'll go in. Okay?"

---

Yesung stared down at the pavement, kicking stones into the gutter as he waited for Donghae, who was late as usual.

He was thinking about what the new school year would be like. He had always seen the future as one with Ryeowook in it, but now that he was assured of another four years with her he didn't know what to think. What to feel. What to say.

"Dude!" Donghae slapped Yesung on the back, knocking the wind out of him. "Sorry I'm late, I ran out of hair gel and I had to look for a new tub."

Yesung glanced up at Donghae.

"You made me wait fifteen minutes just because you ran out of hair gel?"

Donghae laughed. "It’s all about the look. If you look good you’ll make a good first impression. It’s the first day of school after all."

"Whatever. Let's go."

---

Eunhyuk looked at her watch then at Ryeowook, who was looking up and down the street for the hundredth time.

"Wookie? Don't you want to go in already?"

Ryeowook sighed. Maybe Eunhyuk was right, Yesung and Donghae had gone in already.

"Okay." She took one last glance at the street, searching among all the unfamiliar faces for the one she loved best. "Let's go"

Donghae rounded the corner just in time to catch sight of Ryeowook and Eunhyuk stepping into the school gates.

"EUNHYUN!! RYEOWOOK!!"

Yesung pricked up his ears. Ryeowook turned around. Eunhyuk nearly crashed into a pillar. All three stared at Donghae.

Over Donghae’s spiky hair, Yesung caught sight of Ryeowook. Suddenly it seemed like he had seen her for the first time in ages. He couldn’t take his eyes off her.

Ryeowook saw Yesung staring at her, and their eyes met and held for a few breathless moments. A blush stained her cheeks and she lowered her face.

Eunhyuk, at Ryeowook’s side, tried to avert her eyes from Ryeowook and Yesung, fixing them instead on a blackbird chirping away happily on the nearest tree. Just looking at them made her want someone who would look at her like that too.

Donghae for once wasn’t talking. Since when did Eunhyuk become so pretty? He’d never noticed. Her hair .. he had a sudden urge to just twist the strands around in his fingers and see if they were really as soft and silky as they looked. He shook his head hard. It wasn’t like him to look at girls like that.

"Hey." He made an effort to steady his voice as he walked towards the girls. "It’s been a month. Haven’t seen you two for ages." Just looking at Eunhyuk made him stutter and forget everything, and before he knew it he’d gone: "Where’s Sungmin?"

Ryeowook gave him an odd look. "She went to RGS. You didn’t know?"

"Ah, I mean, I did know .. I forgot-" ^_^

"Hey." Ryeowook’s heart skipped a beat when she heard Yesung’s voice – it seemed like so long ago when they’d been happily sitting together in class talking and laughing, completely ignoring the teacher, lost in a world of their own.

She raised her eyes to his. Something made her say "I missed you." Hearing the words out of her own mouth shocked even herself. Eunhyuk raised an eyebrow. She’d never known Ryeowook to be that open. Albeit unwillingly, for she hadn’t thought about him all that much, Ryeowook added, "And Donghae, too."

Donghae laughed. "If you missed only Yesung, just say so. I won’t be offended" :D

Yesung’s mouth crooked up into a small smile. "I missed you too. And.. and Eunhyuk"

Before anyone could do or say anything else, the school bell started ringing. The spell broke.

"Come on, we’ll be late," Eunhyuk walked ahead. As Yesung fell into step beside Ryeowook, he smiled at her. Ryeowook smiled back.

She’d known things wouldn’t have been the same without him.

---

Another puzzle piece had just fallen into place. Part of a clear blue sky was visible on the puzzle.

=========================================================================

How is this chapter? Comment & Enjoy:)