Chapter 1

That One Person

 In the dance room, Jieun was by herself, sitting on the hardwood floor. She slipped on her ballet slippers and tightened her bun so there wouldn't be any loose strands. This was the first time in over a year that Jieun was in this graceful atmosphere. Even though no one else but her and her new teacher would be in the dance room, it still made Jieun nervous. Earlier when she found out that her new ballet teacher would be none other than the famous dancer, Kang Suejin, she nearly threw up.

 

Before her teacher came, Jieun decided to do some exercises with the barre. Carefully, Jieun placed her foot on the barre and lifted one arm, trying not to wince at the slight pain from the absence of not doing this in a long time. She tried to keep her posture straight, but there was something different about Jieun that made her feel irregular. Taking her leg off the barre, Jieun looked at herself from every angle, since the walls of the practice room were all mirrors. She noticed the little weight she gained over the year and was worried that it might mess up her balance. Earlier that day, before she left for practice, Jieun's mother pestered her about how her older “half” sibling wanted to have lunch with her. She refused, not because she didn't want to eat and gain weight, but because it was with him. Although, Jieun was a ballerina she loved eating and for the past year she was finally able to eat everything she wanted after not being able to eat it before.

 

Jieun heard the door open, breaking her thoughts and she saw her tall elegant teacher. She was envious of her teacher's long legs and her jet black hair that was perfectly straight, there wasn't a single strand out of place. It made Jieun even more nervous that next to her teacher she looked like an ugly duckling.

 

“Baek Jieun, it's so nice to see you here again in a dance room,” her teacher greeted with her voice like a song bird. “How have you been?”

 

“I've been good. I'm ready to get back and be the best,” Jieun eagerly said.

 

“Well, I'm a little worried that since you've taken a little hiatus, you might lack your old abilities,” Miss. Kang said. “Have you weighed yourself lately?”

 

“No...” To be honest, Jieun never bothered to weigh herself since she stopped taking ballet. It was something that didn't exactly circle her mind.

 

“Well, we should probably see how much you weigh before we start then.” Miss. Kang took Jieun to the hall, where there was a scale. More nerves began to hit Jieun because she was afraid of what the scale would say, she didn't want to be overweight, but she didn't want to be underweight either. Since Jieun was only 5'3, most of her weight was muscle, but the last time she actually checked her weight she was 95 pounds. Reluctantly, Jieun stepped on the scale, feeling her heart pound. The scale read 100.2 pounds, the result made her heart drop.

 

“That's not so bad, but there might be a problem,” Miss. Kang told Jieun as if there was no worries at all. When the two go back to the dance room, Jieun was still thinking about her weight. She gained five pounds in the past year.

 

“Uh Miss. Kang, do you think I'll be able to dance like I used to?” Jieun was afraid of what kind of answer her teacher would give.

 

Still, Miss. Kang kept her smile, knowing that her student probably wouldn't be happy with the answer she was about to give her. “I don't know, we'll have to see. How about you try something simple? Why don't we try a demi plie`?”

 

“Simple enough,” Jieun muttered under breath. She reached for the barre and put her feet out, making her sure there were no space between her legs. With her back straightened, Jieun gently bent down, following her teacher's movements.

 

“Very good,” Miss. Kang complimented.

 

“Miss. Kang, can we try something a little more advanced?”

 

“If you truly feel like it, then of course. Why not try a pirouette turn?”

 

“Okay.” Jieun got into position, putting her left leg behind her right, she also put her right arm out behind her while her left arm in front of her. Quickly, she put her arms together and her left leg was lifted, her foot almost touching her inner thigh as she spun around. Once her foot reached the floor, it was almost like a loud stomp, making her cringe.

 

“Jieun, did you want to try again? You're stop was a little rough.”

 

“Yeah... I guess,” Jieun mumbled as she got into position again.

 

 

Loud music boomed through the practice room of Big Hit Entertainment as the seven Bangtan members danced to their song, “No More Dream.” Although the boys have done this dance more than a million times, there was something wrong. As the chorus for the song began, Jungkook bumped into Jimin as he tried to move to the front.

 

“Sorry,” Jimin quickly apologized trying to fix his mistake by going to where he was supposed to be. Bangtan's manager looked up from laptop, but ignored the tiny mistake, letting the boys continue. When it was Jimin's turn to go to the front, he bumped into V and Jungkook again.

 

“Stop!” Their manager turned off the stereo making the music stop and the boys confused.

 

“What's wrong?” Jin asked.

 

“Jimin, what's wrong with you? You know this dance, you've been doing this dance for the past five months,” their manager scolded.

 

“Are you sick?” J-Hope asked Jimin worridly.

 

“No, I'm not sick, I'm just tired,” Jimin mumbled.

 

“Then what's wrong with you?” Suga questioned. “Are you bored of the dance?”

 

“No.” Jimin rolled his eyes, of course he was sort of bored of the routine, he did it everyday of his life. “I think I'm going to go out for a walk.”

 

“Did you want one of us to come with you?” Rap Mon asked.

 

“No.” Jimin walked out of the practice room with his things leaving the members confused.

 

After a minute of just staring at the open door left by Jimin, Jin snapped back to his regular-self. “Well I have to go and meet someone.”

 

“Someone? Who?” V asked curiously. “Is it a secret girlfriend we should know about?”

 

“No, it's my sister.” Jin grabbed his duffel bag that was leaning against the wall and put it on his shoulder. “Don't you guys remember me talking about Jieun?”

 

“Ooooohhhhhh.” The five members said in unison as if they just had an epiphany.

 

“The ballerina.” Jungkook remembered that one small detail about Jin's sister. “Isn't she your half-sister?”

 

“Yeah, but I like calling her my sister,” Jin replied.

 

“I thought she didn't like you,” Rap Mon said.

 

“She does like me... Or at least I think she does,” Jin mumbled the last part, it was almost barely audible. “She's just been really busy.”

 

“Yeah busy avoiding you,” Suga quietly said.

 

“So I guess I'll see you all back at the dorms.” Ignoring Suga's comment, Jin walked out of the dance room leaving the five remaining members alone.

 

 

Another loud stomp was heard, much to the dismay of Jieun and her teacher. Jieun felt completely lost and discouraged from all of the mistakes she's made so far and she knew that Miss. Kang could sense it.

 

“How about we stop for today?” Miss. Kang suggested. “I think you need to rest.”

 

“Okay,” Jieun sadly agreed. She grabbed her phone and noticed a text message from her mom.

 

From: Mom

Don't forget to have lunch with your brother! I expect the both of you to tell me how it went.

 

“Crap,” Jieun mumbled to herself.

 

“Um... Jieun?”

 

Jieun turned her attention back to her teacher. “Yes Miss. Kang?”

 

“I want you to know that maybe you should take smaller steps in your career,” Miss. Kang suggested.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“I mean get more exercise or maybe learn a different type of dance. Do something that helps you relax.”

 

“Okay.”

 

Jieun nearly stormed out of the dance studio not only because of her failure and weak performance, but because of Miss. Kang's advice. She wanted her to relax, which was the last thing Jieun wanted to do. All Jieun has been doing was relaxing for the past year and she wanted to come back to ballet, yet her teacher was telling her to relax.

 

 

Jin was nervous, since every time he wanted to spend time with Jieun, she would always say she was busy or she would just ignore the invite. They didn't exactly share the normal brother-sister relationship everyone did, no their relationship was something completely different. In fact, they didn't exactly have a relationship at all. Ever since their mother and Jin's father got back together after Jieun's father died, things between Jieun and Jin haven't been so great. Of course, when Jin and Jieun first met, they didn't exactly click either or more like Jieun just didn't want to get close to her half-brother.

 

Reluctantly, Jieun walked into the restaurant, trying her best to get over the fact that she would have to spend an hour or two with someone she didn't exactly like. When she walked in she saw Jin texting on his phone. He looked up and waved, motioning her to come over.

 

“Hi,” Jieun half-heartedly greeted Jin as she sat down. “So, what did you want to talk about?”

 

“What?” Jin said a little confused.

 

“Did someone die? That's assume why you wanted to talk to me.” Jieun's voice became serious, yet it seemed almost like a joking matter to her.

 

“What? No, no one died,” Jin said. “I just wanted to spend time with my sister that's all.”

 

“Oh... that's all.” To Jieun, that wasn't exactly a good reason to meet up, especially when it came to Jin.

 

Jin saw Jieun's duffel bag and assumed she just came back from ballet practice. “Did you just go to practice?” Jin asked.

 

“Yeah.”

 

“I remember mom said you were doing ballet again, how does it feel to come back?”

 

“Great.” Jieun hoped that by giving short answers, Jin would give up and decide to leave.

 

“So I was thinking maybe you would like to come see the other Bangtan members and maybe watch us preform,” Jin suggested.

 

“I'll probably be busy.”

 

“Oh well-”

 

“Seokjin, since I would hate to call you Jin because that's your stage name and I don't know why I would need to address you like that,” Jieun interrupted, she crossed her legs and sat up straight. “Look, I think we should just stop this little get together, because I'm pretty sure no matter what you do I'm never going to like you.”

 

“Jieun, don't you think that's going a little overboard?” It pained Jin to hear those words, but he tried his best to stay strong. “We are siblings after all and mom wanted the two of us to get along.”

 

“We're just half-siblings,” Jieun snapped. “And why do you always call her mom? Why do you respect her like she didn't cheat on your father with my dad and then she came crawling back to him. Your dad was dumb enough to take her back too.” Jin's expression remained calm, but deep down he was hurting from the words coming from Jieun's mouth. He didn't know what to say to her let alone how to actually feel. “It was a dumb idea to come to this stupid lunch.” Without another word being said, Jieun left. She just couldn't stand talking to someone who was supposed to hate her yet all they wanted to do was get closer to her.