When Life Gives You Giants

Giant Problems
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Chap 1. When life gives you giants

 

He stared at it: the highest stack of romance-comedy comic books on the table. Looking around and found a couple of giggling girls were reading one of it, he blinked. He debated with himself in his mind, whether to get the comic books and looked like an immature and unstable college girl, or just pushed the thought aside and set to buy a couple of mindblowing and hard covers anatomy books for the sake of his study and looked like a champion of the geeks.

 

In the end, he bought all of it.

 

The anatomy books and also the comics.

 

He was mumbling an incoherent ‘I can’t understand why my younger sister is in love with this crap’ while paying for the comics, hoping that the cashier won’t feel suspicious that he was actually the one who will read all of the said ‘crap’. Never he had in mind, that actually the cashier wouldn’t even bother about it.

 

He looked at his purse and sighed tiredly when he only found a couple of money sheets left inside of it, which was enough just to buy an instant ramen enough for three days straight. 'Ah~ my allowance for this week' he thought painfully. “Forget about eating! I’m just going to read untill the end of this week then.”

 

……………

 

It’s only the day after when Byun Baekhyun, a dentistry in University of Korea, felt that his stomach was growling like a monster in the campuss hallway. He’s definitely starving. That’s all thanks to the comics and the anatomy books that he bought yesterday. “Ow~ come on!” he rubbed his stomach with a pathetic plea.

 

“What’s with the roar?” a boy in his age, suddenly grabbed his right shoulder and walked along with him. It’s Yixing, his best friend from China, and a student in economic major. “Have you eaten yet?”

 

Baekhyun shook his beautiful head, his small bamby eyes disappeared behind his smile, “No. I’m on a diet”, he reasoned out.

 

Yixing scoffed, “What diet?", he scanned his best friend before him, who was as petite as him, but with more delicate figure. Baekhyun's face was small and so did everything on his face: cute bell shaped nose, thin bubble gum pink lips, framed with golden puffy hair. "You just happened to spend your weekly allowance on something weird as usual, didn’t you?” he really knew his bestfriend more than Baekhyun knew himself.

 

Baekhyun squinted his eyes on Yixing, refused to admit Yixing’s words, but then nodding in surrender.

 

Yixing sighed, “Come with me then. Your lunch’s on me.” he dragged Baekhyun along with him to the direction of the crowded cafetaria of their campuss.

 

“Next time, yours is on me then.” Baekhyun said while being dragged. He’s so happy to had a very understanding friend like Yixing.

 

……

 

They were sitting on the very end spot of the cafetaria which was so full packed of hungry students right now. Literally hungry or socially hungry if you take a look at a bunch of girls in modelling major (because they never eat to maintained their skull-like images). The cafetaria was one of the place where all the students from all majors in this multimajor university could ended up squeezed to be one. Most of them still ate and hang out with their friends from the same major, though.  

 

“Say! What weird things that you get this time?” Yixing asked while munching a roll of salmon cheese rolls, his lunch for today.

 

Baekhyun sipped his strawberry milk while rolling his eyes. “I don’t know if comics and anatomy books are weird for you.”

 

“You bought that thick and insanely expensive Gray Anatomy books?”

 

Stuffing her little mouth with a big roll of kimbab, Baekhyun mumbled lightly, “I need it.”

 

“Xerox was invented for times like this. A single illegal copy wouldn’t made Gray went poor and ended up in the dumpster.”

 

“That’s exactly what every people, of thousands people who read it, think!” Baekhyun shrugged stubbornly.

 

Yixing sighed in surrender, “And you already bought it too anyways, what’s the use for me to nagging at you right now?”.

 

“You got the point.” Baekhyun heaved a sigh.

 

Yixing took a chip before asking once again, “I tried to understand about the Gray’s books, but what’s with the comics?” Their lunch, which was consists of sushies, kimbabs, chips, bananas, strawberry and mocca milk, were scattered carelessly around the table that only occupied with the two of them.

 

“Just like it. Somehow, I think romance can help me to loosened up. Although, it would be if overly consumed.” Baekhyun answered calmly.

 

“Oh please! Your at the age where you should experience it yourself instead of blushing over some teenager’s love stories through comics.” Yixing almost chocked when he gave his retort.

 

“Like there’s someone that I can being romantic with, duh.” Scoffed Baekhyun.

 

Throwing an unbelievable glare, Yixing looked at his best friend before him seriously. “Don’t you get any candidate from the dentistry major?”

 

“My major is heaven for every single-straight- man.” Baekhyun spoke as the matter-of-factly, recalling that most of his friends are females. The ratio’s somewhere around 1:30, which was meant that in every 150 female students there were only about 5 male students in the dentist major. And those 5 was rather out of questions because they’re taken or just didn't swing that way. So not worth it… even just to think or consider about it.

 

“.” Yixing muttered in his breath. Still looking around, he suddenly pointed at a group of sport major, the football team to be exact. “What about them? Find someone that made your heart fluttered?” he asked out of the blue.

 

Glancing to his side, following Yixing’s finger, Baekhyun rolled his eyes. “You know jocks with no brains had never been my type. They only consisted of muscles and sweat!” He took a kimbab and throw it to his mouth.

 

Pouted, Yixing tried once again. “Then those brainiacs would be perfect for you!” He pointed his finger randomly to a group of nerd now. They were from science major or something like that.

 

Smacking Yixing’s head, Baekhyun retorted in dismay. “Don’t you know? Nerd never dates human. They date science books, making out with their laptops, befriended with worms, frogs or rats, and got over some great theories.”

 

“What’s the different with you?” Yixing let out a soft retort which didn’t fail to reach Baekhyun’s sharp ears. He earned another good smack on his head because of that.

 

“Just stop your stupid match making things.” He said, annoyed by Yixing’s whines about ‘smacking won’t be a good idea for the future king of marketing’s head’.

 

Fells like he didn’t want to give up, yet, Yixing was looking around the crowded cafetaria once again and found a very interesting guy right in the middle of the café. “Hey..” he waved at his best friend’s face carefully, trying to get his attention, “What about him?” he pointed out nonthelessly.

 

Rolling his eyes, almost surrender to the temptation of bitting Yixing’s head off, Baekhyun finally turned his head and followed Yixing’s finger. “What about who?” he asked lazilly.

 

“That rainbow guy. He’s cute. Just don’t mind his weird preference of color.” Yixing spoke like an idiot. Attempting to brainwashed himself and Baekhyun: that a guy, wearing a pink sweater, a creamy slack, a neon green adidas bag pack (probably a first rate imitation or maybe an original), and a pair of orange nike running shoes, was a normal thing that you found everyday (although he looked cute).

 

Baekhyun’s jaw fell… literally. “Do you expect me to date that… kid-like guy?” That’s the only sentence that can came out his lips at that time.

 

Actually, Baekhyun didn’t mind of his color at all. Because the moment he laid his eyes on him, he paid more attention to his small beautiful face, with a pair of big clear innocent eyes behind a black rectangular spectacles, a delicious strawberry milk color lips, a cute dimple on his chubby cheeks, milky white and flawless skin, and short dark brown hair that framed his face. What's also interesting about the guy was that he had the lankiest and longest extremities that Baekhyun ever saw.

 

The boy was really the epitome of perfection.

 

So inhumanly good looking.

 

In other word: sooo Baekhyun's type, tall with glasses.

 

Yixing’s blinked his eyes rapidly and innocently. “What? He looked… so famous. Maybe he’s a good guy after all” he reffered to a bunch of girls around him. Big chance they were his fans.

 

Or his freaking harem.

 

"Oh, come to think of it, I know him. He's Park Chanyeol- the famous guitar prodigy from music major."

 

“I’m so not dating a cassanova.” Baekhyun pouted. “Although he’s tall and cute or something” he mumbled carefully and looked hesitated in a bit before continued, “Never! Not in this life.” When he saw that Yixing was going to spoke back, he said immediately, “And that is the end of di

Please log in to read the full chapter