"An evaluation?" - Chaerin

Hourglass: Behind Story

 

2002 - SM Entertainment

It was Chaerin’s first day training and she wasn’t sure where to go. Sure, she was briefly told where she would be practicing and so on, but she didn’t know where to go. She had been wandering aimlessly at the hallway.

“Are you new?” A boy asked.

“Ne?” she turned around to meet a cute boy around her age. Her cheeks reddened when he smiled at her.

“Are you lost?” he asked kindly. She nodded and he smiled.

“Hmm, the girls practice room is on the left corridor, this corridor is for boys.” He said.

“Ah, kamsahamnida…” she said.

“Don’t be too formal. I think you’re just about my age.” He said. “I’m 88 liners. Shim Changmin.” He friendly told her.

“Ah, you’re older than me. I’m Cho Chaerin.” She said bowing.

“Ah, call me oppa then. I have to go now, hwaiting!” he said and gave her a smile before running to his practice room. Chaerin giggled to herself before went to the practice room. A bunch of girls around her age were chatting on the floor while eating jajangmyeon.

She stood there didn’t know what to do. She cleared and everyone looked at her. She smiled but they resumed their eating.

“Um, annyeong haseyo Cho Chaerin imnida. Please take care of me!” she bowed three times. No one really cared so just stood there.

“Is she for real?” a girl said and threw Chaerin a dirty look.

“You! Come here.” A girl called her. She obeyed and went to her. She seemed older than her and has a pretty face.

“You must have a good voice.” She said.

“Aniyo…” She replied modestly.

“You’re a threat.” She said again. Chaerin wasn’t sure how to react.

“Unnie, you don’t have to worry.” The girl next to her said. She eyed Chaerin from her head to her toe with a mocking expression.

“You have a nice voice and a beautiful face. So, one more point for you.” She said and the older girl laughed.

“Finish your meal, 15 more minutes the trainer will come.” One of the girls announced. Chaerin’s hand went to her empty stomach. She was afraid of being late to her first training session that was why she didn’t eat…And now she has to dance with an empty stomach? Wait…dance? She sighed. She was never a big fan of dancing.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“You, do you want some advice?” A girl asked her. It was right after the dance practice and all Chaerin wanted was to drink water but she nodded instead.

“Ne,” she answered.

“Lose some weight first. You’re not going to survive with that look and body here.” She said evoking laughter from the other girls. Chaerin bit her lips in humiliation.

It had been a week for Chaerin at SM and she was on a diet. But it was totally hard with all the vigorous practices. Her weight had dropped 3kg in a week but she felt like fainting. It was so hard. They just finished their dance practice and having lunch. Everyone was having rice except for Chaerin who was eating salad.

“Do you want some meat?” Yumi asked. Yumi was the first friend she made and Chaerin was so grateful that she has Yumi.

“Hmm…” she considered for a second.

“Well?” Yumi asked holding the meat in the air.

“Okay,” Chaerin replied and they laughed. Yumi was about to feed Chaerin with the meat when someone ‘accidentally’ bumped into her making the meat fell.

“Sorry,” the trainee said before laughing.

“Aish, I really hate her.” Yumi said through her gritted teeth. “Here,” Yumi said and took another meat and placed it on top of Chaerin’s salad.

“Gomawo…” Chaerin said and Yumi smiled.

“Attention!” A representative shouted and everyone turned to look at him.

“This Saturday we will hold an evaluation. Do your best and good luck.” He said before leaving.

“An evaluation?” Chaerin asked.

“Yeah, they do that every two to three months.” Yumi said as she ate a spoonful of rice. Chaerin wondered why she didn’t look worried at all.

“Can you explain further about it?” she asked. Yumi held up her hand and drank a gulp of water.

“Every evaluation there will evaluate you. The higher the mark you get, the nearer you are to debut. There will separate us into three groups: dancing, singing and rapping. You have to stand out from the others, and really impress them.” She said.

“Why are you not worried?” Chaerin asked and Yumi laughed.

“I’m not being conceited but I’m one of the best dancers here.” Yumi said and Chaerin agreed. Yumi’s dancing skill is really great.

“Oh, you have to choose which group you want to join.” Yumi said.

“Hmm…” Chaerin can sing but she wasn’t that great compared to other trainees here. Her dancing skill still needed major improvement.

“Do you want to try rapping?” Yumi asked.

“Rap?” Yumi nodded.

“Not many of us can rap here, but if you can sing, rap and dance…I think you’ll impress them.” Yumi said.

“But I don’t know how to rap…”

“No one is going to teach you rapping. You have to learn it by yourself.” Yumi said and smiled, “hwaiting!” she encouraged her. Chaerin gave her a small smile. She needed to improve her dance skill before this Saturday.

“Can you help me with my dance skills?” Chaerin asked hopefully. She knew it was very hard to ask a trainee to help you. They didn’t want to make you better so you won’t surpass them. But Yumi smiled.

“Okay.” She said.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry for not updating and a short *$#@%% chapter. I had a major author’s block for this. I thought about making Chaerin met Sehee, but never mind… I'm really sorry StusMuffinExpress for this chapter! Btw, I didn't hate your character or anything..^_^