Coffee in Midday

A Cup of Sunset

She laid her head on the palm of her hands, her elbow rested on a table in front of her. She stared hard at the lines of numbers and questions and equations written below her name and class number. She massaged her temples and tried to recall what she was about to write, but in vain.
She could not handle it anymore.
She turned her attention to the window and slowly parted open the curtains with a pen she was holding. The sun was glaring with pride and the sky was on its best shade of blue, as if mocking the hopelessness inside the classroom that day.

She looked around her and and she could almost felt the grimness surrounding her.
She has been doing this test for almost two hours and the only noise inside the class is only pens pressed down and around against papers, the gusts of wind from the aircon above her, and the occasional cough of Mr. Choi. It was a shame to be trapped inside while the wheater is wonderful outside. A ray of sunlight bursted through the small gap of curtains and landed on her paper.
Yes, it was such a pity.

"Sir, we may go home once we're finished, right?" she turned at the sound of the voice. It was him.
"Yes, you may," answered Mr. Choi without looking up from his books, "just leave yout papers there and I will collect them afterwards."
He got up and started to pack as nineteen other pair of eyes watched him in agony. He walked to the door smugly and smirked at them.
The door has just closed when she raised her hand and said,
"Sir, I am done too!"
Eighteen pair of eyes then turned to the left-back corner of the class and stared in disbelief at her.
Mr. Choi looked up and said, "Oh. You may leave."
She quickly gathered her things and rushed out the classroom.

*****

"Oh, Nana-ya," he looked up and stopped his track.
"Hey, Jimin," she glanced down as she half ran down the stairs.
"You're going to the library?" he asked when she reached his level.
She hesitated for a second. She did not even think of going there that day, she just wanted to get out from the class. She answered, "I don't think so. The weather is so great, it's a waste to stay indoor."
He nodded several times and his cheeks wobbled a bit, "Then, where are you rushing to?"
She did not think of this either.
"Uh, going home, maybe. Where else could you go after school?"
He chuckled, "Wheresoever you want..."

"Then, where are you going?"
“I'm thinking of grabbing a coffee.." he started straight ahead.
“Huh? At this time of the day?" she thought she heard him wrong.
“Does one needs a reason to have a cup of coffee in midday?" he returned her question and smiled before adding, "I just feel like it."
"Mm."
It felt funny to walk by his side across the middle of still empty school field. She shielded her eyes from the sun and looked ahead. The usually crowded gate with students shouting and going home was still deserted, another rare sight for her. It felt funny, but nice.

“Do you want to come?”
“Where?”
“To coffee. There's a place I know and it's not that far, we'll just walk," he shrugged at her, "rather than going home.."
To tell the truth, she does not really fancy drinking coffee. She prefers green tea. Moreover when the weather was more appropriate to eat ice cream and sweet shaved ice, but not coffee.
"Sounds good."
He walked away from the school gate and she followed. Despite everything, she was just curious of the taste of drinking coffee in midday. Of walking under the shade of trees with this boy by her side. She was curious of him.

*****

She could not sleep that night. Whether it is the effect or a cup of iced cappuccino she drank that afternoon, or because of their conversation outside the small coffee shop at the end of the road, she never knows.

She did not know that they both listens to Lifehouse and Daughtry, and he even has a complete collection of their songs, beating her.
She did not know that the white earphone he wears is a prize from a dancing contest he won.
She did not know that his favorite coffee is a combination of coffee and milk with the ratio of 2:1, without sugar.
She did not know that he has a small mole on his left hand thumb, near his nail.
She did not know that his sense of humor is very bad, that he laughed so hard at her jokes, which was not that funny at all.

She did not know that he could keep her awake all night.

She closed her eyes and replayed the sound of his laugh in her head.
She smiled and opened her eyes, staring into her ceiling.
She now knows that coffee in the middle of the day tastes the sweetest.