Silence

A Cup of Sunset

A gust of cold morning air blew through the narrow gap of the window by Nana's seat. She got up to close it, and sat back down in the vacant classroom. She rubbed both of her hands together and brought it to her cheek. She closed her eyes and sighed; she has never liked cold mornings. If it was not for someone who always arrive early, she would not have been there at that time. She remembered, along with their random and pointless talks the other day, that he does not to linger at his house, because it does not feel like a home. That day felt like such a long time ago.

It has been almost a week since they last have a meaningful conversation. She missed him, Nana finally admitted as she opened her eyes, she missed him up to the point where it annoyed her. He has made this very difficult for her, as he would always show up wherever she went, or maybe, it was the other way around. Then again, how could she control her eye movement, which always avert to the direction of his voice, or her ears, who always picked up his contagious laughter from across the room? She could easily find him at anytime and anywhere.

She had asked whether she had done something which offended him, to which he denied, and she did not want to push him. Yet still, she could not help but wonder what she has gotten herself into, what made her restless in his absence. The sudden sound of the sliding door caused Nana to jump.

"Oi."

"Oh, hey."

And there he was, ruffling his messy hair, his shirt untucked and a black jacket over his shoulder. A sudden attack. Her heartbeat quickened as she watched him walked to his seat, before she found her voice.

"Jimin-ah."

He was staring at his phone, his ears plugged with his white earphone, already deep into his music. Nana called again, "Jimin."
Silence.
"Jimin."
He started to nod his head and drum his forefingers on his desk.
Nana took a deep breath and walked over to him, then knocked on his desk. His head slowly lifted up to meet her eyes, he pulled his earphones out and asked, "What?"
She did not like the tone of his voice. "Uh. What are you listening so deeply to?"
"Something."
"There's a song called 'Something'?"
He nodded.
"Ah. I don't know that song."

Another gust of wind blow inside the room, sending chills as cold as the silence between them. It was not like the usual silence they shared - it did not feel right, it did not feel like them at all. "You.. have you been busy?" Nana asked.
"Huh? Uh, yeah."
Nana bit her lip and nodded.
"I played basketball with Taehyung and others."
"Oh? You've never told me that you play?"
"I played a bit couple years ago, but not so much now."
"Why?"
He shrugged.

"Then.. What are you doing later after school?"
It felt weird to ask him that question.
"Basketball again, I guess."
She nodded. The awkwardness between them was too much for her to bear. "O...kay," she was left with nothing to say.
Jimin glanced at her as she turned her back. His eyes were still fixed on her as Nana returned to her seat and automatically reached inside her bag to retrieve a book.

*****

"Okay everyone, clear your table, only a piece of paper and a pen on your table. We're going to have a quiz."
Another sudden attack. Nana made a face and joined her classmates as they roared with protest.
"Those who object are permitted to leave the class!" he ordered sternly, thereby silencing the class.
Nana glanced at Jimin, who let out an exasperated sigh.

The fifteen minutes which followed was agonizing. Before she knew it, the time was up and Mr Choi has started to gather his things. The class rushed forward to submit their worksheets as Mr Choi walked out of the class. Some were still struggling, even desperately tried to copy other's answers. Nana was one of them.

"Saem- saem, wait! Argh! What's the square root of 49? Anyone!"
"Seven!"
It was Jimin who spun around and shouted back. Amongst all the chaos in the classroom, he was the one who heard her. She quickly jotted it down only to be stuck at her last part of calculation. Twenty two divided by five... "Fractions are okay, don't need to convert it into decimal points." She looked up and Jimin was beside her, looking down on her paper. "Oh, uh, okay."
"Are you done?"
"Oh gosh, I don't care, Saem's gone-"
He grabbed her paper and ran outside, and she followed. She had just reached the doorway when she heard him shouted.
"CHOI SAEM!"
She saw him caught up with Mr Choi, panting, as her trusted her paper to their teacher's hand. "Saem, please, just this once," she could hear him pleaded. Her heart thundered like horses on a race, and she know it was not because of the fear of her quiz not being accepted. It was because of a pair of brown eyes walking towards her, with a slight smirk on his lips.
"Thanks, Jimin," was all that she could muster.
He barely nodded and walked past her, as Nana tried to hold her breath, fearing her heartbeat to be heard by the rest of the world.

*****

Halfway upon walking down the hallway which leads to the library, Nana hesitated and turned around to the opposite direction.

"Hey."
Jimin stopped as he was about to shoot, sweating and panting. "Hey," he replied.
Nana smiled and said, "Don't mind me, I'm just watching."
He dribbled a couple of times, and scored. Nana sat down next to Jimin's bag, rested her chin on her palm and watched.

She did not know much about basketball, but she knew thet he was good at it just by watching. She thought of the times she secretly watched him during PE, and how she could shamelessly watch him at that moment. He has a way with controlling the ball and he has swift movements. He always runs fast, she could recall the many times when she lost her breath as she tried to catch him. She saw him approaching and handed him his water bottle.
"Tired?" Nana asked as he sat down next to her. He chuckled.
"Tch, really."
"What?"
His eyes twinkled as he supressed a smile, "Aishh, really."
Nana blinked at him.
"I was supposed to be ignoring you."
She tilted her head to the side, "But, why?"
He gulped his water and shook his head. "I don't even know why."
"Well.. I'm sorry for whatever it is."
He shook his head again, "Nah, I'm the one who's sorry. You don't have to apologize."

"So.. how does it feel?" he asked.
Nana smiled and answered, "Boring."
He smiled to the basketball ring ahead. His messy hair was gently tossled by the wind.
"You?" Nana asked as she slipped strands of hair behind her ear.
"Yeah... It doesn't feel right, somehow."
"Hmm," she smiled and stared at her hands.

And then there was the silence. However, it was no ordinary silence, but their kind of silence. There is a certain beauty in the silence shared by those who do not feel the need of constantly bombarding each other with questions. They just know, and they have understood. More than his slight scenf of coffee, his laughter, half of his earphone shared with her, Nana had missed their silence most. Feeling his presence next to her, caused something to trickle down inside her like warm molten chocolate. She thought, she must have gotten herself into a pool of mischief. Then, she wished to forever swim in it.

Try as I may, I can never explain
What I hear when you don't say a thing
The smile on your face lets me know that you need me
There's a truth in your eyes saying you'll never leave me
The touch of your hands says you'll catch me wherever I fall
You say it best
When you say nothing at all
(When You Say Nothing At All - Ronan Keating)