Paperball

A Cup of Sunset

"Sorry, sorry!"

A crumpled piece of paper landed on her desk. Rubbing the right side of her head, she scanned the noisy classroom to find the culprit.
It was still early in the morning and my day started with a paperball thrown to my head..., she thought.
At the far right end of the class, her eyes met a set of dark brown eyes with a mischievous glint to it. It slowly disappeared as his lips broke into a grin.
"Sorry! I won't do it anymore," a voice spoke to her.

Ah, it was you.

"Sorry, I wanted to throw it out the window," he pointed at the window beside her, which was, apparently, closed. Hmph.
"Don't litter at school," she was about to throw it back at him, she was aiming for his head, but she hesitated. She pulled her hand back and opened it.
"Hey, give it back," she could hear him rose up from his chair and walked over to her.

What is this, a child's drawing?

"Ya, that is mine," he tried to snatch it back but it was too late.
"Who is this? Choi-saem?"
"Yeah. Why?" his chubby cheeks hung down from his face as he looked down at her.
She covered my mouth with her hand, hiding a smile underneath.
"Why? It looks like him, right?" he took the paper from her and examined closely.
"Uh, maybe," she shrugged.
"It is him, see, his bowtie, his eyebrows, his -"
"Okay, okay, I get it," she pushed away his hands which were shoving his childish drawing in front of her face.
"It does look like him, right," he nodded almost to yourself, admiring his handwork.
When he looked back at her, she was shooting him a dirty but amused look. He instantly smiled, and once again those charming eyes were nowhere to be seen. She could not hold her smile anymore and looked away from him.
And then, he laughed.
His laugh rings like a bell to her, and like a SARS virus it infected her on the first sound of it. It echoed in her ears, crept into her brain, and settled on her heart. She laughed along, and it was the best melody she has ever heard.

*****

"You're still not going home?"
She looked up to find him pulling a chair across her and threw himself upon it.
She has been sitting down by the window on her own eversince the class ended, she always does that everyday. She drowns herself in the pages of written fantasies, pressing her fingers on the prints in the hope to be inside one of those tales. Time seems to stop whenever she reads.
"Not yet. Why are you here?"
"I wanted to read these," he put down comic books on the table in front of them and took off his bagpack. Then he pulled out another chair and set it down.
She nodded slowly as she watched his every move. Seeing a creature like him in a library is a very rare sight for her.

"You smell like coffee."
“Huh?” He tilted his head to the side.
She looked up to the spinning fan on the ceiling, blinked, and tilted her head so that their heads' position were in a parallel lines.
"Like fresh brewed coffee."
He brought his head back to its original position and chuckled, " Oh, that, Choi-saem asked me to make him a cup of coffee."
"He asked you?"
"Yes. He called me on my way here,"
She gazed into a pair of dark drown eyes, now like melted chocolate in the late-afternoon sunlight.
“Oh," was all that she could say.
He flashed a little smile and plucked his white earphone into his ears. She returned it before going back to a book she was reading. She has only reached the middle of the third paragraph when she heard him flipping open another page and humming to himself, content in his own world. She glanced him from behind her propped open book.

 

Cause it’s you and me
And all other people with nothing to do
Nothing to prove
And it’s you and me
And all other people
And I don’t know why
I can’t keep my eyes off of you
There’s something about you now
That I can’t quite figure out
Everything she does is beautiful
And everything she does is, right

You and Me - Lifehouse

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: what do you think? :D