The door has creaked open

The Fading Tone of Bells
 
"They said mean things to you again."
 
Chen can only laugh, but he regrets it immediately. His ribs are busted from being slammed into various pieces of furniture. "You're hurt." Yixing observes.
 
It takes all of Chen's energy to smile his usual smile. "And you are stating the obvious."
 
Chen tries to move then. It's a mistake. There is pain, unbearable pain. And the next time Chen's vision is clear, he's on the bed in Yixing's room.
 
The light has faded from the sky, and his chest is tightly bound with bandages. Yixing is sitting there; his eyes are as colorful as usual and yet, they seem duller.
 
"I thought I'd lost you, even though I know better." Yixing remarks. "You will live a long life. A cursed one, but a long one."
 
Chen has to chuckle even though it aches through the bandages. "Figures."
 
"A cursed life isn't a necessarily unhappy one," Yixing reminds him.
 
"Uh-huh." Maybe Chen would have a longer reply, but Jongdae is dizzy from exhaustion. He's used up far too much energy, running back to back jobs. And so he closes his eyes.
 
Yixing's hand is warm against his cheek. It warms him all the way to his bones, even when Yixing does a silly thing like ordering him to do something he's going to do anyway.
 
"Sleep." Jongdae does.