It was just the way he was taught

The Fading Tone of Bells

 

Jongdae doesn't need to, but he does end up going all the way to Seodaemungu. The ghost is hard to find – almost like it didn't want to be found, like it had purposely taken itself away from human contact. But that can't be true. Ghosts need humans to exist.

But it's after a surprisingly dangerous, yet easy exorcism and the ghost utters two words that make Jongdae's spine crawl:

"Thank you."

He keeps rubbing at his ears after, feeling as if the words had seared into the skin of his lobes, leaving an uncomfortable residue in a manner he can't quite put his finger on to describe. He's taken exactly ten steps when he swerves, eyes wide in sudden concentration because for a while, he'd been distracted and is now overcompensating. Then, he relaxes, a look of annoyance crossing his face.

"You're the one who taught me how to conceal myself, Onew-seonsaengnim. I could spot you a mile away."

Chen doesn't even flinch when a voice whispers into his ear. "Odd, wasn't it? It's just like that ghost had known the truth of his existence and what he was becoming. All by himself."

"Odder still that you're the one who told me it wasn't possible. Or were you lying?" He turns around and eyes the man who had appeared behind him like a spectre. His brown and gold hair is a messy mop just above his shoulders, and the look in his dark eyes are  is that bit childish and just that bit gullible. But of course, Chen knows better. He knows that with just an odd tilt, the childish smile on this man's face will become something much more sinister.

"So, so. That is what I said. Sort of. By the way, how does it feel, my dear apprentice?"

"How does what feel, seonsaengnim? Doing my job as usual?"

"Yes...that. And being thanked for it for once."

The specification prevents Jongdae from answering carelessly like he usually does. That, and the look in his teacher's eyes. There's no laughter there for once. He's being serious.

"Weird. It gave me the shivers."

"The good kind?"

"No, the other one."

Onew searches Chen's face for a moment, and then he smiles. "Good."

"Really."

"Yes," Onew turns to depart. "Because, if you like it, then you're likely to get used to it. And if you get used to it, you will start yearning for it. And when that happens, you won't be useful to me anymore."

Chen is left to ponder that answer. And when he finally speaks, he says, "Sometimes, I hate you for saving me that one time. If I hadn't met you, maybe I wouldn't have known the truth. And maybe I would have been one of the heroes."

Nothing and no one answers him.