Chapter 4

When I Look At You

The rain pattered softly against the roof of my house as I sat on the piano bench, my eyes resting upon the noisy shoreline. The waves crashed angrily with each other as the sky cried, soft water pellets fell upon the large body of water, becoming one with each other. My hand rested on top of my piano keys as I sat sideways, touching but never playing, looking but never engaging. I wanted to be outside and sit directly in front of the clashing waves, allowing the sky to cry on me too, but I couldn’t.

My heart wouldn’t be able to take it if I saw another glimpse of him.

“Taeyoung, are you home?” A high pitched female voice echoed throughout the house as I brushed the stray tear away from my left eye, straightening myself up and quickly turning to face the piano. Footsteps echoed throughout the house as a figured entered the parlor, her stop in motion causing silence to develop throughout the house.

“Hi Songyi,” I spoke quietly as I kept my back to her, not even bothering to turn around to see who it was.

“Hi,” she replied back, allowing me to hear the smile in her voice. “Are you playing again?” I heard her footsteps approach the piano as I slid sideways on the bench, giving her some room to sit beside me.

“No,” I answered, my voice barely above a whisper as I took my hand off the keys, watching her place her own hands on the piano. She took a deep breath as her fingers glided up and down the keyboard; a melancholic melody filled the air as I closed my eyes, allowing myself to be engulfed into her music.

“Who was that guy yesterday?” Her playing slowed to a stop at the end of her song as her bright eyes turned to look at me, her hands still in holding the very last note. I opened my eyes again, not wanting to look at her directly as I shrugged, raising my finger to press a note.

“Just someone I know,” I mumbled as I pressed a second note, its single, lonely sound filling the air. I felt her glance at me, wanting to say something, but she remained silent. “So,” I cleared my throat, attempting to help her out, “I heard you found someone new.” Out of everyone I knew, Songyi was the last person I wanted to push away. Her presence was comforting to me; it was almost like he was there. By having her sit beside me at that piano, it was almost as if he was sitting with me too. With her bright smile and kind eyes, the two could have easily been twins.

“I did,” her eyes lit up at the mention of her newfound love, “he’s a really good guy.”

“Really,” I mused, “what’s his name?”

“His name is Yoseob,” she grinned happily to herself. She stood up, a little jump in her step as she walked over to the white leather couch that lounged beside the piano, falling down onto its cool material. “He’s one of my students’ older brother.”

“What’s he like?” I asked, continuing to feign my interest. I watched her as a dreamy expression spread across her petite features; a smile that seemed so familiar to me grew on her face as she sat up quickly, a passion burning in her eyes.

“He’s nice,” she smiled, “he cares a lot about everyone. And he can cook, and he spoils me, and he’s just really cute.” She paused for a moment, a sudden cloud of hesitancy filling her usually bright dark brown eyes. “He’s really similar to my brother,” she spoke in a voice so low any normal person would have had to strain to hear.

But I heard it loud and clear.

“Really,” I repeated again, that piercing I knew so well entering my heart, “what else?”

“He likes to sing,” she continued, that hesitancy still in her eyes, “sometimes, he sings while I play.” She paused again, staring at me evenly, like she was expecting some sort of reaction instead of the monotony I was displaying. “He was my brother’s classmate in high school.”

“I see,” my voice becoming smaller the more she spoke, “anything else?”

“He listens to me,” she continued, her voice becoming softer as well, “and he comforts me when I upset.” She paused a third time, once again studying me for any reaction towards her words. “It’s okay to cry, Taeyoung,” she said gently, “it’s really not good to keep it bottled up all the time.” I was silent as I stood up slowly, forcing a smile on my face for her sake.

“I can tell you really like him,” I managed to say, “I’m really happy for you.”

“Then maybe you’d like to come out with us sometime? You could bring that guy with you, it’d be like a double da—“ Her eyes cast a hopeful look, similar to the one Junhyung had given me last night.

“I’m going to head down to the beach for a little bit,” I cut her off before she could finish the word, “I’ll see you later.” I watched the hopeful look turn into a disappointed one as she opened to speak; but before she could say another word, I had already grabbed my jacket off the back of a chair and was out the door. I pulled my hood over my head as I stared down at the sand, watching my sneaker sink in with every step I took. The rain had subsided now; it’s only remains was the wet sand. I slowly walked to the spot where I always sat and plopped down on the wet sand, not even giving a single thought towards the future of my pants from this action.

“Did you know,” Junhyung’s voice spoke beside me, “that seventy percent of this world is covered up by oceans?” A slow smirk crossed his face as he turned to me, an unreadable expression in his eyes. “So anywhere you go, all you have to do is turn around.” I didn’t move a muscle as I kept my eyes focus towards the still-angry clouds, listening to his voice against the breaths of the wind.

“What are you doing here,” I asked him monotonously, not really caring, but still somewhat curious.

“I’m interested,” he shrugged, with one knee bent and his bare arm propped up on it. I still didn’t move as we sat there in a comfortable silence for a minute—but I knew he was dying to say something.

“In?” I finally responded, feeling as if all the energy I had left was being out of me just by talking to this person.

“In you.” I turned my head and gaped at him, at this person who randomly waltzed into my life, attempted to save me from my brother’s wrath, and continuously shows up whenever I’m upset.

Who is this guy?

“What’s there to be interested about?” I asked, staring at him with a curious look in my eyes. His smirk turned into a secretive smile as he turned his head, looking straight out into the ocean again.

“I’m not sure,” he replied honestly, “but for some reason, I just am.” I studied him from the side; from the way the glow of the sunset shadowed over him, his perfect jaw line, his long and slender neck, his tanned arms, to the casual and comfortable aura he had around him. “Take a picture,” he suddenly spoke, turning to me, “it’ll last longer.” He winked, his smile returning to a confident smirk as I let out a small laugh—a sound that was so foreign to my ears. “You have a nice laugh,” he remarked after a moment of silence, “you should do it more often.” I blushed at his comment, just as I did when he spoke about my smile.

And for some reason, strange feelings began to develop in my stomach as I sat here, enjoying the sunset, with Junhyung.