One

River Nights

"Hello, I am calling to inquire about the studio apartment room you are offering to rent out. My name is Kim Suho. Please call me back at this number."

My eyebrow quirks up. It's only been a day since I placed an ad in the Periodical Section of the newspaper. My expectations were a week or so until someone called. 

Well, this is all the better. The sooner someone moves in and starts paying rent, the sooner I'll have enough money to travel. Even though Mr. Kim Suho does sound a little stiff. 

A quick phonecall with the man and we've scheduled a meeting at a coffee shop in an hour. He seems to be keen on moving in quickly... too keen. A tingle of apprehension runs down my spine and it hits me what exactly I've done. I've just advertised my house to the entire world and offered a room to rent out. What if some creepy stalker tries to move in so he can try something on me? Oh my god, what if I'm murdered in my sleep?

I bite my lip. Okay, I'm getting too far ahead of myself. Best wait until I meet Mr. Kim until I decide whether to take my room off the market or not. 

If he's over 30 I swear to god I'm saying no. 

 


 

A smooth zephyr breezes through my long black hair as I look around the cafe, trying to locate Mr. Kim. Where is he? Squinting at every person's drink, I attempt to deduce who my possible future roommate is. Mr. Kim sounded uptight, almost professional, so he definitely can't be the man over in the corner with the caramel latte. He doesn't seem like the tea type, so I suppose Mr. Herbal Green Tea by the window is out. 

Out of the corner of my eye, I spot a tall, handsome man sitting right in the middle of the coffee shop. I've never met him before, but he looks a little familiar. The man holds a stout, wide white mug almost loosely in his right hand, like he knows he's in a casual setting yet maintains an air of poise and self-confidence. One glance at his drink and I make my way over to him.

It's a cappucino. 

"Hi," I say timidly. "Are you Kim Suho?"

"I presume you are Miss Hwang Lucy." he replies briskly, calmly looking up at me. "You're 10 minutes late."

"I'm sorry," I exhale, taking a seat in front of him. My stomach churns unpleasantly. The glance Mr. Kim is giving me makes me feel like he's turning me inside out, his rich brown eyes glaring coldly at every one of my faults. If this is the guy I'm going to be living with for an indefinite period of time, I'd honestly prefer not to live with him at all. 

Think about the money, Lucy. 

"You're willing to offer a rate of $300 per month, correct?" he asks coolly. "Will that include other amenities or only board? What privacy guildlines am I entitled to in your apartment?"

"I- whoa, wait. We haven't even properly met. Before we start discussing the terms of your rent can we...," Mr. Kim's contemptful eyes cut me off. 

"Fine. Kim Suho. 21 years old. Businessman. What more do you want to know?"

"There's no need to be so rude," I reply, miffed. "I'm Hwang Lucy. I work at the café right next to my apartment, but I'm interning at a bakery. I'm 20, but I'm turning 21 next month-,"

"I don't recall asking you for a compendium on your life," Mr. Kim says snarkily. "But did you say you're a barista? How did you afford a big apartment with that kind of money?"

"I don't recall you asking me for a compendium on my life." I bite back. "Look, are you sure you want to rent a room in my apartment? It doesn't look like we're getting along at all, and if you continue acting like a jerk I'll withdraw my offer."

That shuts him up. 

It takes him a minute to tell me, "I'll rent the room."


 

Mr. Kim moves in 2 weeks later, laden with bulky suitcases and business suits. When he walks inside my loft, his eyebrows perk up appreciatively. "Not bad," he remarks. A flutter of satisfaction rises in my stomach. There's a nice feeling to finally pleasing him about something.

"Your room is right here, down the hall." I lead him past the living room and kitchen to a spacious, bright room with creamy white paint and light blue sheets that I changed just this morning. "If you need anything, just tell me. I'll be in the living room."

"Whatever."

I settle on the couch in the living room with a big bowl of raisins and dried apricots, flipping through old reruns of 80s sitcoms while thumbing through a style magazine. Suddenly, the sound of a thud! and a loud "Jesus Christ!" startle me out of my seat. I hastily place the bowl of ice cream on the coffee table and hurry over to Mr. Kim's room. "Mr. Kim? Where are you?" I call, looking around frantically. 

"Are you blind?! I'm right below you!" 

The almighty Suho Kim is on the floor, rubbing his toe in pain. 

"What happened?" I ask, not bothering to hide my smirk.

"Your goddamn dresser, that's what happened," he snarls. Clearly he doesn't take to my contemptful expression. "Why'd you put the thing so close to the door?" 

"Wh- don't try to blame me for your cluminess!" I exclaim indiginantly. "The dresser is perfectly positioned in between the door to the room and the door to the dresser! It's supposed to be for your convenience-,"

"Do you know who I am? I could have you fired in a minute for your insolence!" he yells. 

"Excuse me? What gives you the right to be this rude, Mr. Kim? I do not know who you are, and I have no idea why I rented out my room to you either!" I holler. 

And then a bright flash clicks in the back of my head. I stagger around a little before taking a seat on the floor next to Mr. Kim, panting lightly. Fluorescent designs explode in my vision as the entire world seems to blur in and out of my focus. But the sensation disappears as soon as it comes. 

"Forget it," I murmur weakly, picking myself up off the floor. "I'll move the dresser later."

 


A knock on my door sounds a few hours later, after the sun has winked goodbye to the colorful buildings of Hongdae. The faint buzz of chatter rises from the streets below my apartment up into my room. The familiar sound of happiness comforts me, soothing my heart and placing my mind in a state of much-needed tranquility. 

"Excuse me? Miss Hwang?" Mr. Kim's voice sounds tentative. That must be a first.

I don't answer. After a few minutes, the click! of the doorknob indicates that he's entered anyway. 

"Miss Hwang. I am sorry for my behavior this afternoon." Mr. Kim informs me solemnly, standing in front of my bed like a schoolboy in trouble; his hands clasped behind his back, his head down. "I made dinner. Please have some."

After a pause, I sigh, "It's all right. Don't worry about it."

"Please, I insist. I made Thai Cashew Salad with pomegranate extract. It is a speciality of mine."

"Why do you talk like that?" I blurt.

A bemused expression appears on his face. "Excuse me?"

"Why do you talk so... formally? There's no need for that, really. I mean... relax."

He replies stiffly, "I do not understand what you mean, Miss Hwang. I am merely speaking the way I have been taught to."

Unable to come up with a good response to that and unwilling to begin another fight, I simply roll my eyes. "Sure. Okay."

"Would you like to eat dinner or not?"

"Fine." I throw my covers to the side and join him at the table.


"Tell me about yourself, Miss Hwang."

I look up from my plate, an eyebrow arched. "Oh, really? What happened to 'not wanting a compendium on my life'?"

He looks to the side, clearing his throat. "Circumstances change. I am trying to begin a conversation. So where are you from? What are your goals and dreams?"

"Well, I'm Lucy. I moved from Busan to Hongdae a few years ago. I want to be a baker, after I travel the world."

"That's it?"

"What else do you want?"

"Those aren't true goals and dreams. You have to aim to get to the top-,"

I drop my fork with a clatter. "Says who?"

Mr. Kim's eyes widen in surprise, and he looks down at his plate. "Well... everyone. That's what we all want, right?"

"Not me."

"But why? Why wouldn't you aspire to do something... more?"

"Certain people live to fulfill certain roles in our society. I'm just not one of those people that wishes to be at the top." I sigh. Mr. Kim's scandalized expression prompts me to continue. "Every leader needs followers, right? If everyone wants to be a leader, then who'll be left to carry out the actual guildlines and orders set by the leaders? Really, you should be thanking me. I'm the reason you're able to be so influential and wealthy."

His jaw is hanging wide open. I can see an attractive mush of chewed lettuce in one corner of his mouth. A glimmer of amusement sparks my chest; I must've really caught him off guard. 

"You... you just made an excuse for mediocrity." he sputters.

"That's right."

 


 

A/N: This story's going to be super short, like 3-5 chapters. It kind of just... came to me xD Hope you take something out of this, though~