Windows

Stained Glass

 

 

 

Taehyung, other than Hoseok, was the only other person to make an obvious effort to talk to me. He was strange kid, of course, and sometimes he reminded me of...me. Except he clearly could care less about what others thought and just talked with everyone as if they were his best friends.

 

After eating, we returned to the studio where we were in last. Hoseok, Yoongi and Namjoon showed us a part of a really well rehearsed choreography and later said that they were going to use this for a competition. However, the rules stated that it required at least 6 members and since odd numbers were easier to work with, they decided on 7 for their group.

 

Hence the reason why the 4: Jin, Jimin, Jungkook and Taehyung were there. Obviously, I was still somewhat confused as to why I was there. At least Eunji wasn't here to piss me off, I supposed. While Namjoon and Yoongi busied the other 4, Hoseok approached me.

 

“I hope you're not offended or anything. That I didn't plan to include you in the group,” he said.

 

I raised an eyebrow, “You told Namjoon a girl would make it more interesting, didn't you?”

 

He scratched his nape and chuckled, “ It's because I didn't have any other reason to bring you. Or any reason that would make you want to come. I'll explain it to them later, but I just thought you'd like the place. Maybe you find you like dancing, too.”

 

My eye twitched and I felt like I was just pitied at that moment. That Hoseok just felt bad that I would be eating alone, or that I had sleep as a “hobby” or the fact I had no friends.

 

It was almost like it hurt more than those who clearly despised me. The feeling that someone talking to you just for the sake of saving the awkwardness between a weird kid. Why else would anyone even care about me? Hoseok probably just talked to me for that reason after separating me from the bullies.

 

“Inhee-ssi?” he said as I was spacing out once more.

 

The only words that managed to come out was spat in anger, “Thanks a lot.”

 


 

I stormed out of the dance room and let my fury seethe out of me as I watched groups in the large dance room practice. They knew exactly what they were doing here. They knew they were good. Me? As if I even thought of dancing in my life. There's no way Hoseok could see potential in me by looking all ghostly and quiet and all.

 

By the time I cooled off, I didn't want to go back into the room. Hoseok didn't even come out to see where I was, so I didn't want to see how much he didn't care. I wandered around into a hall of rooms, probably all smaller dance studio rooms similar to the one I just left from.

 

One was open though and I could hear heave beats blasting from it. I pushed the door open slightly and saw just one person in there. He was dancing his heart off, but his moves accompanied the music perfectly. Wearing a white tank top and plain black sport shorts, the sweat on him flowed energy. His fierce facial expressions showed determination and power, yet he made the choreography look easy. When the music stopped, he hit the floor immediately and breathed heavily. Grabbing the water bottle near him, he drank it in one gulp.

 

“Could you open the door wider?” he asked, shocking me. I thought I should sprint and escape, but I opened the door anyway, deciding against it. It was fascinating to see somehow this...driven.

 

Still laying on the floor, he turned his head to me, “Are you new?”



I nodded.

 

“Welcome then,” he paused to catch his breath before giving a smile. “I'm Jin Hyosang. You can call me Kidoh, though.”


“Ah...I'm Lee Inhee,” I bowed.

 

“Nice to see fresh faces once in a while,” he laughed. “I'm one of the five founders, just so you know. Any questions feel free to ask me.”

 

He noticed I was standing outside the doorway and he motioned me to come in.

 

“It's not that hot in here and it doesn't smell, don't worry. There's good ventilation here,” he said, sitting up from the floor. He grabbed a towel and wiped his face with it quickly.

 

“Which group are you in?”



“Hmm?” I wasn't quite sure what he was asking.

 

“Are you planning to join one?” I assumed he was talking about a dance group.

 

“I...I don't know...”

 

“Did you just arrive?” he asked, his tone light with curiosity.

 

I nodded, “I...I don't think I should be here, though.”



He gasped at me, exaggerating his facial expressions to have a comedic effect, “Whaaaatt?! You can learn, you know! How'd you get here?”

 

“Hoseok-ssi brought me here. With 4 others,” I told him.

 

“Ohh for his competition coming up in the summer, I see. It's only about 2 months away...I see why'd he have to worry,” Kidoh nodded in understanding. “You can always try to dance. You can learn, but you're going to have to join a group if you're new. Since we don't charge members, you're expected to help gain money to pay for the place through competitions. It's a weird and rash concept, but it's been working for several years now. We share the profits, of course. The group who got the money personally receives a little more though. Kind of like a job between a family.”

 

Kidoh laughed, “So how about it? More members are nice considering the large amount of groups that people are making. They could always use fresh faces and talent.”



As if I had talent, I thought to myself.

 

Knocking came from the doorway and we both turned out heads to see Hoseok standing there. He looked tired, but relieved.

 

“Oh hey,” Hoseok said, looking like Kidoh at the moment: breathing heavily and panting. “Kidoh-ya, could—could I talk to Inhee for a bit?”



Kidoh got up and said, “Yeah go ahead, I gotta go wash my face up anyway.”

 

Hoseok entered the room as Kidoh left, and he smiled apologetically. “Are you angry at me?”


I made eye contact with him for a split second before breaking it. Yes, I was angry.

 

“I'm sorry,” he said softly, making my heart feel weirdly. “I was trying to help you. I was really thinking you might have talent with dancing.”

 

“What's there to help me in?” I almost glared back. “That I needed something to do? A hobby? That you felt bad for me?”



“N-no it's not that! It's not like that at all!” he denied. “It's because...you remind me of when I was younger. And dance helped me. So I want to pass it on...I want to help someone, too. It's not out of pity.”

 

“How are you even like me? Were you an orphan everyone hated? Were you a weird kid who didn't know how to talk because no one would talk to you? Were you the person everyone hated just for no reason?”



He let some silence run through us before he said, “I was an orphan. My parents died...and for the longest time, I blamed myself for it. I shut myself out from the world because you're right, people hated for no reason. And for a long time, I believed no one would care about me and there was nothing I could do about it. But you know what? Then this guy named Namjoon saw me outside sulking. And he helped me. He and Donghyuk and Kidoh and others helped me learn to trust again. Not everyone is a bad person, I thought. There are a lot of good in this world,, you just need to open yourself and let it in.”
I didn't know how to respond after that; that Hoseok, someone who was always to cheerful and energetic, could have been through something like that. I felt selfish then, thinking I was the only person that could have gone through pain. I sighed and only muttered, “I'm sorry.”



“There's nothing to be sorry about,” he gave a small smile. “I understand what you've been through to a degree, so I see why you might feel some ways. Just know...if you want me to, I'm always here to listen and help you.”



“Thank you, Hoseok,” I said extremely softly, feeling sort of embarrassed. “Thank you for not blindly hating me like everyone else.”



My eyes started watering even though I was happy; I barely cried these days and when I did, it was never out of happiness. Yet, my heart being tugged at felt strange and the only physical reaction that resulted were drops from my eyes. I felt Hoseok pay me gently on the back and soothed my quietly. When I calmed down then, I realized that we must have been talking for a while. It was just the two of us in the room and it might give the wrong idea for someone who saw us.

 

“Y-you should go,” I stammered. “I don't want people to get the wrong idea.”



He frowned, “What wrong idea? I was just talking to you, right?”

 

“But...we're just sitting here and...what it Eunji comes in—”

 

He rolled his eyes, “I know she's clingy but she doesn't control my relationships with people.”



“But...she's your girlfriend. Shouldn't you respect your relat—”

 

“Eunji is my older sister,” Hoseok corrected.

 

I blinked blankly at him as my mouth was still half open. When I realized that I assumed it was his girlfriend, heat started gathering on my face quickly. Hoseok only giggled lightly and made a peace sign , “I'm still single~”

 

I turned away from him, which made him chuckle more. “Hey, don't be embarrassed, I should be the one who's flustered because my sister seems like my girlfriend! Don't worry about it!”

 

He convinced me to head back to the room where everyone was at. They welcomed me back enthusiastically, probably not knowing why I left at first. Yoongi was actively teaching Jin and Taehyung while Namjoon taught Jungkook and Jimin. Hoseok looked at me and said, “I made Namjoon hyung take over for me for the time being. I should probably go back now though.”

 

I nodded in understanding and watched Hoseok take over Namjoon's role. He then came over to me, panting slightly and offered, “I'm gonna go and buy a few drinks. Anything in particular you want?”

 

I said no but he persisted with a grin, “You sure? It's free!~”

 

“I'm fine,” I gave him a small smile.

 

He shrugged and said 'Alright then' before grabbing his wallet and leaving the door.

 

I think I just realized it now, but my heart had been gradually opening up ever since Hoseok came along. I thought that there were only a few good people in the world (or none at all), but I see a lot more now. At first, I thought only Taehyung and Hoseok only cared to talk to me, but everyone else like Kidoh and Namjoon and even Eunji...they did too.

 

 

 

______________________________________

 

//hides in corner

how is this chapter?

hoseok is such a good person OTL

subs, comments and upvotes are much appreciated :3 they make me super happy lolol