6

The Ghost of You

Year: 2005

Luhan: 15

 

“What are we supposed to do, Lu?” Mir groaned from his position upside down on his bed. “I didn’t expect the XBOX to break as soon as you came over!”

 

“Well, I’m not so sure Mir. This isn’t my house you know,” I commented, looking around at my best friend’s room recalling the few times I had been in it before.

 

“I know that, but that’s because I at hosting people. I mean look at us right now. I can’t even keep you entertained!”

 

“I’m quite entertained by how you are freaking out over nothing. If you bored me wouldn’t you think I would’ve quit being your friend a long time ago?”

 

He pondered over the thought, his face scrunching up for a moment before he relaxed, smirking a bit.

 

“I guess you are right. You always seem content and I’m always happy. I mean, we have no secrets or anything! We are the best set of best friends ever.”

 

When he said this I couldn’t stop the corner of my mouth twitching into a frown for the slightest second. That wasn’t entirely true. There was the part of me that had wanted to tell Mir about Xiumin’s visits some time ago, but I was unsure if he would believe me or not. It wasn’t every day that you were approached by a time traveler, let alone approached by a time traveler on numerous occasions.

 

Mir must’ve seen my slight frown because he was staring at me, head cocked to the right, an eyebrow raised. I fidgeted with my hands, trying to avoid his gaze, but found it impossible since there wasn’t much for me to do to pretend that I hadn’t.

 

“What is it?” he asked.

 

“What is what?” I replied, innocently.

 

“What is it that you are hiding from me, Luhan?” he snapped, a bit bitter.

 

“Nothing...it’s just...”

 

“It’s just what?”

 

I didn’t reply, thinking of all the things I could lie to save myself from the embarrassment of revealing I’m basically insane knowing a time traveler.

“Just tell me, Lu. You know I won’t judge you, whatever it it,” he egged on, his tone a bit softer.

 

“I don’t think I can tell you for..reasons.”

 

“What reasons would that be? Wait did you finally get together with Tiffany even though she has a boyfriend? Is she two timing with you?”

 

“No, no, no!” I practically squeaked at the thought of that, although pleasurable, horrible scandal. “It’s nothing like that, but it’s about a man...”

 

“Are you gay?”

 

“No! Mir, god dammit. I just can’t tell you.”

 

“Fine!” he huffed, turning his back to me.

 

I waited for him to give up pouting over the fact I wouldn’t tell him my secret, but he didn’t. I tapped him on the shoulder, but he shrugged my hand off. I frowned even though he couldn’t see it before I finally breathed in and exhaled loudly.

 

“I’ll tell you then,” I began as he turned around, a huge grin on his face. “But, but, you cannot judge me for what I am about to tell you.”

 

“Of course,” he nodded happily, scooting up close to me as a child would to the reader in storytime.

 

“Okay, so remember when I said that I’m used to freaky things happening, but there is sometimes no explanation for it?”

 

He nodded, his smile not faltering.

 

“Well, in elementary school do you remember that man who approached us in the park?”

 

“What man? There are a lot of different men in the park,” Mir said, trying to recall of the man who approached us.

 

“It was the day that Tao, Kris, and Lee Joon started leaving us alone....because of that man,” I hesitated, hoping he wouldn’t remember for the sake of me trying to get out of telling this story.

 

“Oh, that day! I remember that man! He was nice. He bought us things at the stands in the park.”

 

Mir smiled, waiting for me to continue. I held my tongue for a moment, trying to think of another distraction that would take Mir’s attention from the topic, but there was nothing going on really, besides the truth, no matter how insane it was going to sound.

 

“He was that man....he just appears.”

 

I paused a moment, mentally preparing myself for the upcoming reaction from Mir. He motioned with his hand to keep going.

 

“He just appears,” I continued slowly, “because he is a time traveler. He travels in and out of times and I’ve seen him a number of times in my lifetime ever since I first saw him on the playground that one day in elementary school.”

 

I looked up and Mir and watched him ponder over the idea, thinking about the words I just blurted out, probably weighing on leaving or calling out how insane I sound. I dropped my gaze to my hands, playing with my fingers. It was quiet - too quiet.

 

I heard Mir get up next to me and let out the breath that I didn’t know I was holding. I waited for him to leave, but, to my surprise, I felt his hands on my shoulders, making me jump a little. I looked up at him, to see him smiling.

 

“Don’t be so jumpy, Lu,” he nearly whispered.

 

“I’m waiting for you to laugh at me,” I muttered.

 

“And why is that?”

 

“Because of what I just said!”

 

“If you think I’m going to laugh at you after all the we’ve been through, then I must be doing something wrong as a friend,” he sighed. “It is a little far fetched, but at this point in time, I’ve only ever seen the man a few times and it makes sense, because you never talk about going to his house or seeing him frequently around town.”

 

I smiled a little, but felt guilty I thought so lowly of my best friend. I got up and hugged him. It was a relief to have someone finally understand what could be the biggest secret I’ve ever held in my life.

 

“Thank you,” I whispered into Mir’s ear, pulling him closer in my embrace.

 

“No problem, Lu.”

 

 

 


A/N: Sorry for such the long delay in updating....I've been really busy with college/work and a lot of things are happening in my personal life. I promise to continue updating soon, especially since this is for that contest! I hope you all appreciated this filler~

As always please comment with any suggestions you might have. Thank you all <3