2

The Ghost of You

Year: 2000

Xiumin: 20

 

The sun was particularly bright this Saturday morning as I played in the park with my only real friend, Mir. Today we decided that we would try our hand at one on one soccer. Simple enough, right? Well, for the time being it was good. We had marked the goals between two lightly wooded areas, passing the ball between each other at first before really trying to score. We played, juggling the ball, laughing, tripping, and scoring until about noon.

 

“Are you thirsty?” Mir finally panted, wiping sweat from his brow.

 

“Yeah,” I huffed, looking around the grassy fields for a snack cart.

 

“Oh, they moved over here,” Mir pointed, revealing the cart in the opposite direction. “Let’s go! My mom gave me some money so I’ll pay this time.”

 

I ran after my friend, waiting for him to order two sodas, as I looked after our ball in the distance.

 

“Here,” he said, handing me the drink after he had purchased them.

 

I took it and gratefully sipped it and took in the semi-hydrated feeling. I was nearly done when I noticed someone had taken our ball. I crunched the styrofoam cup in my hand, angry, because I already knew who it was.

 

“Yah!” I yelled, running over to where we had been playing.

 

“Oh, look who is is Tao!” the tallest laughed, pointing at me.

 

“Not him again,” Tao spat, rolling the ball up under his foot.

 

“Don’t talk to Luhan like that!” Mir threatened, taking my right side.

 

“What are you going to do about it?” the third boy asked, his eyes narrowing as he approached Mir.

 

I saw my friend gulp as he realized he had over stepped. This wasn’t our first time to run into these older kids. In fact, I was surprised they hadn’t come and started a fight earlier with us. The group leader, Kris, had had a target on me ever since I had accidentally tripped in the cafeteria and spilled apple sauce all over his pants. His friends, Tao and Lee Joon, were like his little possy, always follwing his every move and command, partly because they were afraid of Kris, partly because they were also mean spirited.

 

That brought us here: Mir and myself looking into the eyes of satan and his minions with our soccer ball. There wasn’t much we could do unless we wanted to get beat up, but I was so tired of them taking advantage of us.

 

“Can we have our ball back please?” I asked, holding out my arm for them to kick it up to me.

 

Tao looked up at Kris, who looked at Lee Joon, before nodding a quick nod. The next thing I knew, Tai and Lee Joon were pushing me and Mir back, away from Kris who obtained possession of the ball.

 

“Stop it!” Mir yelled, trying to block Lee Joon’s hands, but failed, toppling over.

 

I tried to fight back Tao, but his size dominated over mine, sending me backwards into the grass too. I began to get up, glaring at Kris who just stood there smirking.

 

“I guess it’s time to resume our soccer game, isn’t it boys?” he chuckled, kicking the ball to Lee Joon, who began to run, watching his footwork, before he ran into something, nearly falling over. That something was...

 

“Xiumin,” I whispered. I crawled to my hands and knees, looking at the man who had just appeared. He came back.

 

“What do you think you are doing?” he asked coolly, looking down at the three surprised bullies.

 

“Nothing. Who are you?” Kris barked, stepping in front of Tao and Lee Joon who was brushing the grass from his pants.

 

“I’m a friend of Luhan’s and I believe that’s his ball,” he said calmly pointing to the soccer ball between the boys.

 

“Luhan? Friend? Luhan have a friend? You sure are funny, mister! Seriously, though, it would be best if we were going-” Kris started to say, about to walk away kicking the ball when Xiumin clapped a hand on his shoulder, forcing him to stay.

 

“I suggest you boys go help them up and give them their ball back. You wouldn’t want me to tell your mothers what you’ve been up to lately, do you?”

 

All three of the boys exchanged wide-eyed gazes at each other.

 

“What do you mean?” Lee Joon nervously asked.

 

“Oh you know...stealing from the convenience store, skipping class, not to mention bullying Luhan and his friend. I’m sure your mother in particular wouldn’t like it if I told her her star athlete was a bully now would she, Kris?” he asked, smiling as Kirs’ name slipped off his tongue.

 

I looked at the leader and saw, for the first time, legitimate fear over his features. He looked at Xiumin, scared.

 

“H-how did you know my name?” he stuttered, taking a step back.

 

“That doesn’t matter, now does it, Kris? What matters is you get your act together and leave these boys alone. Am I right or am I right?” Xiumin smiled at him and the other boys causing them to bow their heads as they ran off.

 

Xiumin picked up the ball, walking over to me and Mir. He offered me his hand, which I took. He helped us up and handed me the soccer ball. I stared at him, speechless as what had just happened. I hadn’t noticed my mouth was hanging open until he shut it with his hand.

 

“Why don’t you go buy you and Lu an ice cream, Mir?” Xiumin asked, handing my friend some money.

 

“Really? Gee, Luhan, your friend is awesome! Thanks, mister!” Mir exclaimed, collecting the money and running off.

 

“So?” Xiumin said once Mir was out of earshot.

 

“So what?” I replied, finally finding words.

 

“You didn’t tell me you were bullied by older kids.”

 

“You didn’t ask.”

 

“Touche, but how long were you going to let this go on for?” he asked, his eyes growing concerned.

 

“Why do you care? How did you know Kris’ name? What’s up with you? I get the whole time traveling thing, but is is necessary to spy on people and get involved in other people’s lives?”

 

“I’m not spying. I took a class or two with his mother and she always talked about how athletic and smart Kris is. Am I not allowed to have a social life too because I’m a freak who dissolves in and out of time? I’m your friend, aren’t I?”

 

“No, that’s not what I mean!” I began, pleading. “I just meant....I meant....just don’t meddle with other people’s lives. Alright?”

 

“Alright,” he smiled, rubbing my hair.

 

“Yah!” I pouted, fixing my hair. “You never answered my question.”

 

“What question?”  

 

“Why do you care?”

 

He cocked his head to the side, running his hand through his hair for a moment. I looked over him, analyzing how his body tensed when I asked him the question. Weird.

 

“You are just a very important person in my life. You don’t get it yet, but you will. I have to go now, but I’ll see you soon Luhan.”

 

“No! Xiumin - “

 

I reached out to grab his hand, but before I could reach him, he was gone. I sat down on the ball and stared at the spot that Xiumin had disappeared. The strange man was starting to grow on me - becoming apart of my small friend group.

 

“Hey, Lu! I got the ice cream,” Mir said, sitting next to me after his return. “Sorry the line was lon- Where’s Xiumin? Why do you look sad? Luhan?”

 

“He’s gone. For....now.”

 

“Not for long right? He was really kind”

 

“Yeah, I hope so,” I whispered, putting my head between my knees.

 

Come back soon, Xiumin.  

 

 

 


A/N: Sorry for such the long wait, but I've been busy with work and other fics.....particularly in SHINee World orz. This chapter is a bit childish, but I can assure you then next few chapters are going to be better~~

 

What do you think of Xiumin protecting Luhan and Mir?