Mermaid Tale (Part 1)

One Shot to the Heart (ON HOLD)

Mermaid Tale 

 

 

“It’s your last chance.”

 

“I know.”

 

“Are you sure you want to do this?”

 

“I am definite.”

 

“He won’t remember you.”

 

“I know.”







 

The taste of salt drive the thirst in my mouth. I hit the empty shore with the waves. The moonlight shine on my . I rubbed the wet sand with my palm.

 

I am here. Finally here.

 

This is the place I had dream about. A world where I can be free. The overwhelming moment is hard to take in all at once. I stood up before the wave hit again.

 

When I looked up, I saw the first creature. I had heard from others. These creature so called human. The creature’s eyes wide open and scanned me up and down. So quickly, the human turned away.

 

I attempted to speak, but I know nothing about human language.

 

“I am sorry. I didn’t mean to look at you like that. Maybe you should... um put on some clothes.” The human’s neck burned pink and red.

 

Clothes? I wonder if is some kind of fin that we can glow into like my world.

 

The human covered my body with a wide thing called “towel”. The human brought me into a huge brown wooden shell that they called “house”. I walked in and examine the place.

 

“I am Baekhyun.” The human said. When his eyes uncontrollably scanned down my body, he turned red and quickly turned away. “I should really find you a dress.”

 

He handed me a piece of “clothes”. I try to slip it on right on the spot. Baekhyun quickly cover his eyes. The thing I don’t understand about human: why do they turn red so easily.

 

“What is your name?” The boy questioned as he zipped up the back of my “dress”. I didn’t say a word and blinked at him. Baekhyun sighed, “You can’t talk.” With my lips shutted, I blinked some more.

 

He turned me around again and pulled my hair up. He smooth my hair and wrapped up a few time, then he tied a black strip on my hair.

 

“Well, it’s late today. You can sleep on that extra room. We will go to the police station and find your family for you tomorrow. Ok?”

 

Unable to understand his language. I nodded.




 

 

 

As the light in the house dimed, I went into the human’s room. His face shined under the moonlight. I examined the feature on his face. The creatures in our world never looked like this. It is different. It felt like she had found a shiny pearl under the sea floor.

 

I sat next the bed and watch the boy slept.

In the dark, I saw my self glow. My natural instinct keep on reminding me that I don’t belong here. This is not my world, but these creature were so fascinating to me.


 

 

 

 

 

“There are no report on a missing person.”

 

The human named, Baekhyun, shuffled his hair and leaned on the counter. He is talking to another human who is wearing blue and white. “What do you mean? They abandon her?”

 

“It could be. I mean you can always ask her for her name.” The other human replied.

 

“She can’t speak. I found her on the beach . She might be abused.” Baekhyun continued.

 

“We can always put her in a homeless shelter until we have a report for a missing girl.” The other human flicked the thing he fished from his nose.

 

“Nevermind. I will keep her at my house. Just call me when you have a report.” Baekhyun turned around and pushed me out the blue and white house.

 

We walked home. His warmth had been melting my hand. I love the feeling. His hand is warm and soft. It felt like the sun and the warm of the sand. My eyes never left the hand. The first time I found something so interestingly different.

 

 

I stood near the beach when we got back to his wooden home. I close my eyes and listen to the song of the wind. They blow against my ears, sending my hair in different directions.

 

“You love the wind, uh?” Baekhyun stood next to me. The smile on his face is pure as the water. He looked into my eyes with those dark brown eyes. I feel a beat against my chest, but unable to determine this mystery body reaction.

 

Maybe is just a human thing.

 




 

 

 

“So like I been saying,” Baekhyun’s unstoppable mouth run over every silence in this empty place. “I am a bad boy. Isn’t that crazy?” The man laughed. I lifted my cheek to share a similar expression. Humans at the beach always do that when they chase after a round, floating ball.

 

“My family abandoned me, so I am just like you.” The man continued to cut up the things in his hand. “Don’t worry we will find them. I hope they didn’t abuse you. How did you end up like that? Anyway, I should teach you some words tomorrow.”





 

 

 

 

 

“Do you know these fishes?” Baekhyun asked from the other side of the fish tank. His face magnified because of the water. I didn’t respond but he continued his little talk. “It’s like they like you. Never seen fishes gather towards me unless I have food.” His eyes focus of the my little friends.

 

A smile lift up on my face again. Then It happened again. Something hit my ribcage. I touched my right chest.

 

I wonder what is this, but I like this feeling.




 

 

 

 

“We should go buy you some clothes.” Baekhyun commented the other day, when they are sitting in front of a screen with moving pictures. “You had been wearing my large T-shirt and the same shirt for more than a week.”

 

I tilt my head unable to express myself.

 

He held my hand as we walked out the house. I followed him, because he said that if I got lost it will be hard to find me. I got use to feeling the electric from his warm skin against mines. Even though my human “heart” beats inconsistently, I try to ignore the sudden change.

 

His broad back feels like the water under the sunlight: warm, calm, and peaceful. He cleared his throat and blinked nervously. “Are you sleepy?” The man asked gently.

 

I shook my head. He blushed and whispered, “We are waiting for the cross light. Maybe you should stop hugging my back.”

 

I let go finally notice all the eyes were on us. I lowered my head from the stares. It feel like I am in a tank watched by everyone.

 

Baekhyun suddenly extended his hand and took my left hand. He gently said, “We walk when it’s the green light.” He smiled and lifted up his pink cheeks.



 

 

 


 

“B....A...”

 

“You can say it. Come on.” Baekhyun’s eyes did not left my lips. I attempted to form the words with my lips.

 

“Ba....eee...” He exaggerated his lips into weird shapes attempt to teach me.

 

“Bae....k ... hhhhy.”

 

The doorbell suddenly ringed. Baekhyun rolled his eyes and exhaled heavily. “It must be that friend. He had been trying to brought money from me for the past years.” I followed him and pulling his shirt as he walk in front of the door.

 

“Hey Lue!” Baekhyun put on a 360 degree change with his expression. “What kind of wind blew you here?” He laughed awkwardly.

 

“Just here to ask you something.” The man on the other side answered. From the corner of his eyes, he glimpsed a glance at me. “Your girlfriend?” He stick his head in the door.

 

“Well. She is...” Before Baekhyun finished talking, Lue had already step in the door. Baekhyun folded the space between his eyebrow as Lue approached me. Lue smiled and planted a kiss on my hand. Baekhyun break us apart and asked Lue to sit down on purpose. I kept myself quiet and took a walk on the beach.

 

I wasn’t sure what Lue had asked for from Baekhyun, but he stayed for dinner. Then he slept on the sofa. Baekhyun gave his bed to me and he slept on the floor. It wasn’t anything that I had minded.

 

It’s not my house anyways.




 

 

 

 

 

“Hey. Princess.” A voice tickling against my ears. When I opened my eyes from the darkness, I saw Lue’s close profile. “Let’s go to a party. Yea?” I stared at him blankly.

 

“Don’t worry. Baekhyun is already there. We will go now. It’s a late night beach party.” Lue smiled and gently took my hand.

 

I look over the side of my bed. Baekhyun is gone.


 

I followed him out to the beach. The chilling wind blowing against my skin and pushing my hair across my face. There are a lot people around. They cheering and raised a bottle up in the air. I didn’t put my mind on them.

 

I sat near the water and put my heart into the sea.  I miss my home. I miss my ocean. It’s nice to enjoy the world up on land, but I would feel a little bit of homesick.

 

“Hey. What’s your name?” A group of girl approached me. They only had their undergarment on - it looks like what Baekhyun had taught me that I need to wear them. I didn’t reply.

 

They pouted. “You are pretty. You come with Lue?”

 

“Oh my god. I think she is the girl that is walking around Baekhyun’s house.”  Another added with gasp.

 

“Gods. I think she is deaf. Baekhyun is so dumb to end up with her.” The other girl said loudly.

 

“ARE YOU DEAF?”

 

I couldn’t really speak up for myself but I know they are insulting Baekhyun. I stood up from the sand and stared right back that them.  One of the girl pushed me I held myself back.

 

The other one added another push. Soon more than one hand started to attack me. Then a wave raised from behind, all the girls’ eyes grew wide in shock. They started to run and left me behind and in the sand unable to stand up.


 

The last thing I had remembered is the struggle for air.