Every Christmas

One Shot to the Heart (ON HOLD)

Every Christmas

Genre: Romance

 

 

Ding. The welcome doorbell alerted when the glass door opened. Donghae peaked his head out the counter to greet his customer.

 

“Welcome.” His delighted smile filled the room. A girl with long dark hair hanging out her thin hoodie hat jumped in surprise. Donghae stood up straight from his counter.

 

“Sorry to scare you. I was cleaning the counter glass shelf.” The boy smiled again. The warmth from his heart had heated the whole store. “So how can I help you?”

 

The girl kept her head low and mumbled the words, “Christmas decorations.” Donghae tilted his head trying to get a glimpse of her face, but the dark creature jerked away. He scratched his head in confusion. The book store doesn’t sell Christmas decorations.

 

“You put up a sign asking for help.” The girl finally spoke.

 

Donghae formed a O shape with his lips, “Oh. I am so sorry. I forgot about that. I have a bit of memory lost and prosopagnosia. A bit complicated. Right?” He laughed uncomfortably.

 

“No. It’s not.” The girl said.

 

“Well, thanks for coming to help. We can start the Christmas tree.” Donghae lifted up a big box of decoration from the floor. “What is your name?”

 

The girl gently pull of her hat revealing the goddess like features. Donghae’s eyes dazed by the beauty. Pure white skin, tall skinny nose, thin soft lips, bright clear eyes are the features that belong to a beauty.

 

He thought this might be the only face he can remember.

 

“Yoona.” The girl softly replied.

 

“Nice to meet you.”

 

“Ni..ce. t..o meet you.” Yoona hesitated on those words.

 

They reach the Christmas tree and started with the lights first. Donghae’s eyes couldn’t leave Yoona. Her face is so comforting to him in a very unique way.

 

It felt like something he see everyday, but he can’t remember. He can’t remember his mother’s face, can’t remember his father’s, his friend’s.

 

They would always asks, “I saw you yesterday. Why did you ignore me?” He would always answers, “I can’t recognize faces.”

Every Christmas he renew his memory storage. It is something he can’t control. When he wake up on the day of Christmas, some of his memory will be gone.

 

“How is your day going? Miss Yoona.” Donghae started a conversation.

 

“Good.” She answered without looking at him.

The boy look out the big glass window. “Do you think it will be a white Christmas?” He asked. Yoona lifted her eyes.

 

Their eyes met. He read the solemn in her. She blinked a few times controlling her tears and kneel back down to untangle the light decoration. “I don’t know.” She answered simply again.

 

“Are you alright?” Donghae’s eyebrows furrowed. He can sensed the pain whirling around her. He reached his hand to her shoulder.

 

As soon as he touched her shoulder, she lifted up her head. Tears streaming down her face. His heart clenched and a wave of anger hit his heart.

 

He remembered.

 

He collapsed next to her and wrapped his hand around her. The girl let out her painful cry.

 

“I am sorry. I am sorry. I did again.” He catched his breath. “How can I forget you? I am sorry.”

 

She forgave him and lay her chin on his board shoulder. She had to do this every day. She had to make him fall in love with her every year.

 

“Are you going to renew on Christmas again?” She breath heavily taking in his warm sense.

 

“I hope not,but... I am sorry.” He pull away so he can see her face again.

 

“It’s alright. I made through 4 years. One more wouldn’t be troubling.” She answered and pressed her soft lips against his. He smiled as she back away and bitted her lower lips shyly.

 

“I love you.” She said with a light smile and worry face.

 

“I love you too.” He smiled brightly.

 

There is a long paused, then he spoke again. “Do you get tired of me?”

 

“No, silly. If I do, I would have run away.” Yoona held his hands.

 

“Do you think you can keep doing this for rest of your life?”

 

“Doing what?” She raised her eyebrows.

 

“Keep loving me.” The words singing against her ears.


 

“Yes.”


 

“Will you marry me?” Donghae found the ring in his pocket.

 

Yoona gasped and covered with her right hand. The ring sparkle under the sunlight. She looked back up at Donghae’s eyes. “Yes. Definitely.” She wrapped her arm on his neck.

 

They kissed each other under the Christmas tree.




 

Morning of Christmas




 

She step out the door steps. Her shoe collapsed the perfect smooth surface of the white snow. “It is a white Christmas, Donghae.” She looked at the ring on her finger and smiled.

 

“He will remember. I will make sure. He will.” She stared at the ring.

 

Yoona took her step and head towards the bookstore. Her footstep stopped when she reached the big window. The close sign was still hanging on the window. He is always here at this hour. She searched from left to right looking for him.

 

She then turned to the direction of his apartment. Her footstep fasten and look at every stranger’s faces as she passed by.

 

She sighed with relief, when Donghae approaching in her direction slowly. His eyes on the snow and eyes looks confused. As he walks closer, she smiled to wave. He walked by her and bumped against her shoulder.

 

“Sorry.” The word sounded strange. The boy continue walking. Yoona frozen at the spot her heart sank.

 

She turned quickly and screamed his name. “Donghae!” The boy didn’t turn. “Lee Donghae!” Again, there is no respond.

 

Yoona catch up to him. She grabbed his hand and spinned him again. The boy’s eyes grew wide in surprised.

 

“What is your name?” She asked still trying to catch her breath.

 

“I.. I...” He stuttered.

 

“Are you lost?” She bit her lower lip.

 

“Kind of. Do you know me?” Donghae asked.

 

“Yes.” Her eyes filled with tears. This is first time that the condition had become this severe. He doesn’t even remember his name.






 

They enter the bookstore. Donghae didn’t seem to remember anything. He question if this place belong to him. He question if this is all he had. He question if Yoona is his friend.

 

She got him a cup of warm water as they sat down near the tree. The place where they shared a kiss. The place where they were so madly in love. Today they were strangers.

 

Donghae’s eyes couldn’t leave her beautiful face. He felt different around her. The comfortable face, but nothing is in his memory.

 

He scanned his eyes around the store.

 

“The place is very nice.” He complimented as if is someone’s.

 

“We decorated.” Yoona paused still staring into his eyes. “Together.”

 

He showed confusion, but respond with a nod.

 

“I am sorry. Do you think you can explain the situation to me?” He move his forefingers circle.

 

“What is your last memory?” Yoona asked with a frown.

“I was with a bunch of my friends in the dorm.” Donghae reply.

 

Yoona sighed and the word worried wrote on her face.

 

“But you can’t remember your name?”

 

“No. I thought I got too drunk and hit my head.”Donghae replied still thinking through.

 

“That happened six years ago. You are still in college. Now you are 27, Lee Donghae, the owner of this bookstore, and ...” She paused.

 

“And?” His attention all on her.

 

“You are my fiance.”

 

His eyes grew and quickly recognize the matching ring on their fingers. He blinked and guilt raised in his face.

 

“I am sorry. I can’t remember.”

 

“Don’t.” Yoona held back her angry. “Don’t say sorry again. Since the day we been together, I hear the word sorry everyday.”

 

She stood up and head towards the door. Donghae chased after her. He stopped by the door. Her shoes slided to a stop when she reach the window. Donghae still standing next the door waiting for the girl to turn back.

 

She turned and speed towards Donghae. He started talking to her before she even reach him.

 

“I can’t remember anything.” The tone of panic in his voice. “I don’t know why I am like this. I am not sure if I can still love you.  I don’t want to hurt you.”

 

Yoona cup his chin with her soft warm hands. She calm down and press her lips against his. His eyes grew wide. Surprised by a familiar kiss from a stranger. Not a part of him wants to peel away. His rapid heart beating against his rib cage.

 

Something he can’t remember, but he know he loves this girl.

 

She finally pull away. Her forehead against his. He lower his soft voice, “I am so...”

 

“Shh.” Her eyes looking right into his.

 

“It’s ok. I promise to keep loving you. I will make you fall in love with me. Every day. Every Christmas. It doesn't matter, because you are my everything. Live happy.” Yoona smiled lightly. She then took off on the white street filled with red and green.


 

“Yoona!”


 

The man screamed. The only name he can remember.

 

She spinned around bring her long silky hair in a wave.

 

“I always remembered that someone told me to live happy.” He stood in the middle of the street. The girl mouth the words.




“Merry Christmas. I love you.”

 

"I... l.ove.. you.. too."

 

Those words came out naturally.