Looking for Love

Invisible

It’s the small details that really matter, but these small details are those that we usually forget about most easily. The person who was there for you all along may be standing there waiting for you, but yet you forget everything they have done and you decide to look beyond them. Don’t look too hard for love, because it may be right beside you.

------------------------

(flashbacks continue)

Well I had forgotten about him as the days passed, but soon after the next school term began, I realised that he had not returned yet. Musical auditions were scheduled in for the Monday of week two, and he had promised to come and support me at the audition. Out of curiosity, I had asked a few of his friends about whether he had returned, and they all said no. As the audition day approached, I began losing faith. ‘I guess some promises aren’t meant to be kept,’ I thought as I walked slowly through the school gates on the morning of the Monday, ‘but I guess I should trust him right?’

I walked into class and greeted Heejin who was already sitting, busily typing away at her phone. She didn’t even notice me till I slapped her back and yelled ‘Yah!’ at her, as she jumped up in surprise. “Texting your boyfriend?” I whispered into her ear and smirked. A forced laugh escaped her lips and her cheeks grew slightly pink at my comment, which made me satisfied with my teasing. I threw my bag onto the floor and slumped into my chair, crossing my arms over my chest, the smirk still on my face. “So I was right?”

“Yah! You better stop-” she began as I cut her off.
“Okay, okay, calm down. If you want me to stop then just tell me about it! I know something’s in your mind.”

She bit her lips. Suddenly, she turned her whole chair so that she was facing me, and stared at me with determined eyes. ‘Oh boy, this is going to be a loooong morning,’ I groaned in my head.

----------------------------

The school bell finally signalled the end of the day and the beginning of the audition as butterflies erupted out of nowhere into my tummy. Heejin though, was much more nervous than I was as she had auditioned for a main role countless times and never made it in. She did manage to get into chorus last year, but she was kicked out because the rehearsals clashed with her other out-of-school activities. She wanted it much more than me, and if she didn’t make it into chorus this year either, I swear I could imagine her bursting out into tears.

But I wasn’t only nervous for the audition; today was the day. I walked into the hall and restrained my eyes from wondering around, because I was afraid of disappointing myself. Kyungsoo wouldn’t break his promise right? He would have told me if he couldn’t make it, right? I tried to convince myself that he would be here because he wasn’t one to break promises, but it didn’t work. It had been 15 minutes since the bell had rung, and all the boys have already gathered for the audition. He wasn’t coming.

While the music teachers were auditioning the boys, Heejin dragged me by the sleeve and whispered excitedly into my ear. “Hey Minyoung, you know that boy I met last year in musical? And the one I was talking about this morning?” I grinned and nodded, “there he is.”

I followed her gaze towards a boy standing on the other side of the room. He was slightly chubby (although in no means considered overweight), and was playfully punching a boy standing next to him. Those two boys moved on to imitating the dance teacher’s dance moves, and he did a few awkward turns and waves before laughing quietly with his friend. I looked over at Heejin who was smiling at his actions and I laughed at my friend’s infatuated expression. She was so concentrated at staring at him that she didn’t even realise my laughter. I looked back over at the boy who was getting into position for the dance, and his eyes glazed over at my direction for a split second. I was taken aback at the sudden attention and attempted to force my eyes to scramble off in another direction, but I couldn't take my eyes off of the front view of his face. I realised that he was probably staring at Heejin though, as she gave him a small wave and he nodded back with a smile. I took my eyes off of him and I felt my cheeks heat up for a brief moment.

The music began and I looked over at Heejin who was poking me in the arm. “Did you see Baekhyun? What do you think?”
She nudged me continuously in the arm and I just commented that he was alright. She pouted slightly at my seemingly lack of interest, but it wasn’t because I wasn’t interested – my mind was just filled with thoughts of Kyungsoo. She stopped nudging me when the teachers called a new list of names to audition, and we stepped into the middle of the hall. The dance routine that we had to perform was slightly flirty, and the song that we had to sing with it was extremely high pitched and girly. ‘Aish, I knew this would happen!’ I groaned in my head. I knew that I did not suit this type of song and dance at all, so it was definite that I would not get in. I still gave all my effort in though, knowing that this way, I wouldn’t be able to blame anyone else if I didn’t get in because I would know that it was because I was lacking.

Some names were read out at the end, and Heejin and I realised that they were probably the ones who were good enough to make it in. I had no expectations for myself, but I knew that Heejin had been looking forward to this for so long. After the teachers dismissed us, Heejin grew quiet and I knew it was because the teachers didn’t read out her name. I threw all thoughts of Kyungsoo out of my head and put an arm around Heejin, reminding her that she would be able to see Baekhyun later on the train home. She smiled faintly at me, but I could still tell that she was still upset. I did the best I could to comfort her, but I fell silent when she told me to stop and accused me of pitying her. We remained quiet for the rest of the bus trip to the train station, as I felt offended that she would think of me as that type of friend. My name wasn’t called out either, yet she’s only thinking about herself. I sighed. I let it go since I knew she had just lost a chance that was important to her.

We got off the bus and walked towards the train station, before she lightly grabbed my elbow. I stopped and looked back at her. “Sorry, I was being an .”

I smiled and nodded at her, as she looked relieved that I had accepted her apology. “Come on then , if we’re any later you won’t be able to see your cute baby Baekhyun~” I playfully, reminding her of the conversation we had earlier this morning when she couldn’t stop calling him cute. “Yah!” she yelled as she began chasing me and I laughed, skipping quickly to the platform. We quickly boarded the train that had already arrived at the platform, and amidst the running and laughing, we stumbled upon the backs of a few students. I nearly pushed them over after running onto the train, so I awkwardly grabbed myself onto a pole before falling on top of them. The boy who had his back faced towards me turned at the sudden commotion and I instantly recognised him as Baekhyun. He looked, more like stared briefly at me, and then at Heejin whom moved sidewards from standing behind me a moment ago, and smiled. If he had not smiled, I would’ve thought he was angry at us. His intense eyes burnt into mine a few moments ago, but were replaced by a pair of childish and smiley eyes, slightly curved into the shape of the crescent of a moon, matched with a genuine smile. “Hey.”

Of course that was directed towards Heejin, but I was happy at that thought. Maybe he could cheer Heejin up. She was quick to reply with a simple ‘hi Baekhyun’ and they began initiating some small talk. When she told him about her disappointment, he looked at her with a worried expression and I could see that he was concerned about her feelings. “Hey, don’t be too sad okay? The list is not officially up yet so don’t lose hope!”

Her eyes lighted up with that comment and I groaned inside. How come I didn’t think of saying that? And how did he manage to say that so naturally as well? I was slightly jealous at his superiority over me in comforting others, but was glad nonetheless that she seemed happier. “You can say that since you’re already the lead!” she joked at him while laughing gently and he smiled. I was surprised for a second upon hearing that he had taken one of the lead characters. I drew the conclusion that he must be quite the singer, and made a mental note to pay attention to his singing next time. I smiled quietly to myself. “Since you can joke, then you’re all fine!” he stated and looked quickly over at me after realising that I had been standing all the while just staring at the two of them conversing. “What’s your name?”

I looked at him and smiled, trying to express my genuineness the same way that he was able to. “I’m Minyoung.”

He nodded softly and turned over to another girl standing to my left. She quickly introduced herself as Yeonhee and he nodded softly to her too. “Minyoung, Yeonhee,” he repeated while pointing at the two of us, and we both nodded. He looked impressed with himself after learning our names, as his lips tugged upwards.

“I’m Baekhyun, nice to meet you.”

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys! I'm back with an update and Baekhyun has finally appeared.. ^^
You can judge whether you like him in a few chapters time!
There's been a lack of response lately and I hope there are still readers... :( but if there aren't any I guess that's cool too, I wanted to write this to get things out of my mind (since most part of this story is true, and I wanted to express my feelings through writing it into a story).

Comments are much appreciated anytime, and continue supporting! Thanks fellow lovely readers!