Remember Me

Invisible

That first moment of meeting you… we were both curious. We were curious to make new friends, try new things, but we were both afraid to take the first step. Those words that marked the beginning for us, I still remember them. Do you remember them? Do you still… remember me?

 

From that same day last year

The day was nearly ending and although I hated to admit it, it had been quite a fun day. I made a few friends and although I did not talk much at all, I had faith that I could do better in the future. I walked into the room happily. Somehow, having to socialize and force myself to be comfortable around boys my energy away, and I couldn’t wait to leave these gates at the end of the day.

I walked around and found an empty seat in the classroom as the geography teacher instructed us, and I was grouped again with Kyungsoo and another boy of the name Jongin, along with my own friend Ahra. Upon seeing Jongin for the first time, I almost had to turn the other way to control my twitching lips that were threatening to curl upwards into a creepy smile. He really was the type that girls would swoon over, if only he had been a little less quiet than he was. After introducing ourselves, and the teacher began quizzing us on various geography and history questions, I looked over at Kyungsoo. He almost looked down and hopeless, different from how he was at the beginning of the day. Was it because of all the sudden attention I gave to Jongin? That was impossible, since I barely talked with either of them anyway. Maybe he saw my eyes brighten up with a tiny bit more spark when Jongin spoke to me. I felt like such a bad friend and wanted to make him feel more comfortable, yet I couldn’t initiate conversations, and I couldn't help but feel more comfortable with Jongin since he was doing most of the talking (not that we did much of that anyway). My friend began asking me about my holiday plans, while I faked excitement and beamed at her, still glancing at Kyungsoo from the corner of my eye once in a while. Discontented that I was too much of a coward myself to cheer him up, I stared hard into my hands, waiting for the school bell to ring.

I added them both online that day in hope that we’d somehow keep in contact in the future, but days had passed and I hadn’t received any messages from them. Who was I to think that they’d send me messages in the first place? I had said before that I did not care about making friends with boys, and yet I was pathetically waiting for messages from them. I mentally slapped myself for being so hypocritical, and edged myself on to have the courage to message them first, if I was so desperately waiting for messages myself.

But still, I was too damn scared to. There was no reason to start a chat, so they’d probably think I am weird, right? I told myself this day after day, while staring at their message icons, with my mouse hovering over their names. Feeling hopeless, I slammed the keyboard one night and grabbed my hair, annoyed at my pathetic self. Yes, the Minyoung that everyone thought was so quiet and innocent was that crazy once in a while too. It didn’t feel good to be going crazy over some boys that I’ve only met once though. After calming myself down and staring blankly into the air, a faint beep sound could be heard. Slightly surprised, I clicked into the chat box that had popped up, flashing the new message that I had just received. It was from-

“What are you doing Young ah, we’re leaving in ten minutes!” my sister called angrily from the room next door, “Do you not remember that we have to attend a graduation party tonight?!”

I jumped up at the shrieking of my sister, but moreover, I was shocked that I had forgotten. How could I have forgotten my own brother’s graduation party??

I slammed down my laptop screen and ran into my closet, grabbed a random black and champagne coloured dress and slipped into it. That would have to wait, I guess. I sighed, but smiled slightly upon thinking of the message I had just received.

----------------------

After what seemed almost like ten billion hours sitting through the graduation party, I finally slumped down onto the bed and forced myself to blink as a way to keep myself awake. The party was preoccupied mainly by my brother’s infinite amount of university and high school friends (I spent most of the night frustrated that he took all the socialising genes and my sister and I were left with none), and he barely had time to deal with me or our other relatives. Nonetheless, he still thanked me enormously on my support during his hard and tiring university days, and I knew that even though he didn’t appear to care about us at all tonight, my brother was still the best brother in the world. He gave up everything to take care of my sister and I while my parents were battling with business problems, and he always spent time with me when I was young no matter how busy he was himself.

As the memories of my brother faded away slowly, images of sheep jumping over fences flooded through my mind and soon I was in deep sleep. Somehow though, my mind managed to remind me that I had something to do tonight. There was something that I was supposed to do before going to the party and yet I recalled none of it. Then, the image of a boy running replaced those of sheep, and the squeaking sounds of sneakers on shiny timber floorboards echoed in my head. Was I dreaming? I heard someone bouncing the basketball on the hard ground and I turned to my left to see a shy, wide-eyed figure standing there, avoiding my eyes as he rubbed the back of his neck. I smiled softly at him and he, seeing my smile, smiled shyly back. I walked slowly towards him, but no matter how long I walked, I still couldn’t reach him. He continued to stare at me with that blank face of his. Confused, I started running towards him, and suddenly the setting of the gym fell apart and we were transported to the setting of a hospital bed. I squinted at the whiteness of the hospital, and looked around frantically at my unfamiliar surroundings. I spotted the same figure, still with that pale blank face of his and I peered at him. Suddenly panicking after realizing that he was the one lying on the hospital bed, I gasped in shock. “Do Kyungsoo!”

My eyes flashed open as I laid on my bed, still wearing the same dress I had worn the night before. I looked around me and let out a sigh of relief when I realised that it was all just a dream (A/N: I’m sorry I know that sounds so cliché and lame but it will make better sense later!). I sat up and massaged my neck. I had slept most of the night without a pillow and I swore I heard a few cracks as I was tilting my head back and forth.

Still, the dream got to me. I was a rational person, but I couldn’t say I wasn’t superstitious at all. Since young, I had believed that dreams were meant to tell us a message or teach us a lesson. But suddenly I remembered the thing I had forgotten earlier. Hah, so I guess dreaming does help sometimes. “Ah, how could I have forgotten!” I yelled at myself and ran quickly to my laptop, opening up the message that I had received the day earlier. Thank God this was a Saturday and I didn't have to go to school, or else I would’ve never forgiven myself for replying so late.

'Hey… do you remember me?'

It was from Kyungsoo – a short and shy message that perfectly reflected his personality. Of course I remember you pabo. I… I hope you remember me too.

---------------------------------

Hi guys! Omg I'm like falling in love with D.O while I'm writing this story, even though I pretty much just put his name to the character... but you guys do agree that he's irresistable right??? ^^
I hope you guys enjoyed that (even though I find it a bit of a crappy update), but this is a lot of the backstory stuff that will help with the story later, so please keep the faith and read on!! Thank you guys and please comment, I really appreciate them!

A special shoutout to SMfan4evrAKB48 for being the first commenter!