Flashes

Project R

It was silent and all I see was white before it dimmed and in front of me was a coffin. It was coffee brown with golden sides. I was on a black chair and beside me was a young lady. Her hair was black and soft. Her face was blank and I didn't know who she was. I looked back at the coffin.

In it was another beautiful young lady. She was in a red dress. Her chest were together on her chest with white roses around her. Her brown hair sat comfortable on her shoulders. Her lips were a rosy pink, so were her cheeks. Her lashes were long and beautiful. I looked back and the lady sitting beside me was crying. Her hand held mine. 

"Donghae," her voice echoed in my ears, "I know that she meant the world to you. I am very sure that Taeyeon was thankful to have so much support to fight the cancer. I am sure that you are her hugest strength through the fight. You must have made all the chemotherapy she went through all worth it. But now, God is giving a better purpose and it is to watch over you and your family in heaven. I am very sure she is, even right now." 

I looked at her. Why don't I remember who she was? Or the lady in the coffin? Taeyeon? Who was she?

I was invited for a hug and her voice echoed again, "I know, Donghae. I know." Her fingers warmed my back and rubbed it. "Let it go, Donghae. Let it all out." Her hands patted on my back. Her motion was slow and soft. We hugged long and I enjoyed it, even though it might not be appropiate on such a saddening event. 

She looked at me, "Donghae, be strong. That is what Taeyeon wants. I am sure that she doesn't want her brother to be so weak on her departure."

Brother? Was I a brother?

Her fingers touched my cheeks and that was when I realised that in that event, I was in tears. And Taeyeon must be someone I knew. My lips parted but I didn't heard a word or sound. It was silent and I had no idea when I kissed the faceless girl. I could feel her smile as it was passionate and it surely was something. 

Donghae woke up from his dream. He realised that Hyoyeon was by his bed, fixing a plug into his left shoulder. "You were fully charged until you fell asleep," she explained, "From a 100% to a forty, there is surely something wrong with your battery-"

"No, I had a flashback," Donghae said. Hyoyeon looked at him again, "What? Another?" Donghae nodded before sitting up. Hyoyeon switched it on and it started charging. "Taeyeon. That was the name appeared in my dream- I mean, flashback," Donghae said, "She died of cancer. And... And I'm her brother." Hyoyeon nodded, "I will check that up for you-"

"But, Noona, won't father be against this?" Donghae looked worried. Hyoyeon rubbed his back, "I won't tell him, don't worry." Hyoyeon smiled and left the room. She shut the door and ran to her working room. "Taeyeon death," she typed into her search bar and there were two thousand results. She skipped a few pages because they were too recent. "Cancer, cancer, cancer," Hyoyeon mumbled. Most of them were either suicide or murdered. 

"Found it?" Donghae asked when Hyoyeon walked in. "Yes," she passed him a few papers, "Three and a half years ago. She was sixteen and you're right, you... You are her brother," Hyoyeon sat beside Donghae. He looked at the article before returning to her. Hyoyeon shook her head, "What is wrong?"

"It feels weird," he spoke, "Are you sure that it is okay for me to find out?" Hyoyeon looked at him, "I am sure that it will be alright." With her word, Donghae nodded.

~~~~~

Victoria sat by her table angrily. She wasn't earlier, until she saw Yoona on the television. Victoria still thought that Yoona was the cause of their break up. Well, she may have broken up with Donghae calmly, doesn't mean her heart was willing to do so. She didn't want to speak to Yoona, or even hear her. 

She looked at her cellphone, at the number. It was Luna, the news reporter. Her voice replayed in Victoria's head a thousand times. My company will pay you thousand of dollars for just a piece of information. One for six thousand. Call me back if you want the offer. But if you don't call me by eleven tonight, the deal will be over. Victoria sighed in frustration. She wanted Yoona to land in the gossips, never to be able to face the world again.

"Let's meet," Victoria said when Luna answered. They decided to meet at a small cafe, where less people were around. Luna took off her shades. "We are not here for tea and coffee, you know that right?" Luna asked. Victoria spoke, "I know."

"Here's the cash," Luna only showed them to her and kept them back, "Until you speak."

Victoria wants to tell her but Luna's attitude really irritated her. "Before we get to the point, I want to say that your attitude more in real life." "And maybe that is why I can get all the news really quick," Luna smirked. Victoria breathed out angrily, "Robot Boy broke up with me." Luna smiled before pulling out her notepad, "Go on," Luna started scribbled as Victoria spoke. "The only reason was.." Victoria paused. Luna looked up, "Your information should be more valued. You don't get a single cent if you stop here."

"I am not here for the money, woman," Victoria nearly screamed, "I wanna tear Yoona down, that's all." Victoria gasped and she covered . Luna grinned harder, "Go on." Victoria calmed down before looking at her, "He broke up with me because of her. And they kissed after she came back from her musical," Victoria spoke casually, "And he was still in a relationship with me." The tears formed in her eyes. Luna rubbed Victoria's shoulder, "It's great that you told me." Luna pulled out the cash and passed it to her in an envelope, "As I promised." Victoria shook her head, "No-" "Take it," Luna forced, "It's from my company, not me," Luna paused in thought.

Victoria looked at Luna, waiting for her to speak.

"What my company never promised, I will do for you. I'll tear Yoona down for you."

~~~~~

Tiffany gasped when she heard the news. Yoona sat there in shock. Jessica's eyes widened. 

Torn relationship of Robot Boy and Victoria, caused by Yoona?

The title read on the television as it was reporting the sports section before the entertainment section. Tiffany wanted to switch the television off and Yoona stopped her, "I want to hear this." Does Donghae know this? Is he watching it right now? she wondered. Once again, like every time, the face of the hated reporter appeared. "Annyeong hassayo, I am Luna, your entertainment reporter." Yoona watched nervously. It was obviously going to be a bad outcome for her. Joongki would surely be calling later.

"Headlines for today is the relationship of Robot Boy, the star icon of KASEL, and his girlfriend, Victotria Song. They actually met in a cafeteria where she worked at. Sweet love and sadly, it came to an end. This is what she said," then a picture of Victoria appeared on screen and a recording voiced, "It's a shame that we broke up. Our love could have lasted."

"Now, single boy, Robot Boy, has been seen with another familiar young lady who had also been famous since the start of the year," another photo appeared after Luna spoke, "And yes, it is our beautiful young lady, Im Yoona. The actress has been seen with Robot Boy a few times and even showed up at each other's doors before. According to a student from the KASEL three-month course, Robot Boy quarreled in the building with his now-ex-girlfriend. And it involved the actress as well," Luna smiled. 

"Is there a possibly of Yoona being the third party? The reason of the torn relationship?"

Jessica gasped. Tiffany sat in her spot angrily, "What the hell? Did she just said that?" Yoona was still in shock. Tiffany quickly pressed a button on the remote to switch the television off. The other two looked at her, "Yoona, are you okay?" Yoona looked up and swallowed, "I... I need to call someone." She ran out of the room and went back to hers. Her hand digged into her bag for her cellphone. 

"Donghae ah," she said. Donghae replied, "I wanted to call you too."

"What are we suppose to do now?" she asked him. It took Donghae a while to reply, "I... I don't know. I didn't expect this." "Why did you break up with Victoria? I tried to help but," Yoona paused in frustration, "You two had only been together for a few months. Oh, Donghae," she sighed. "Oh, Donghae?" Donghae repeated what she said. His vision zonked out and he could feel himself fall. All his saw was pitch black before it zoomed out to a santiary white. 

It was noisy in the background and I saw a familiar boy hitting a punch into my face. " you, ," I was picked up and punched in the belly a couple of times. I didn't seem to move or defend myself but whoever this boy was, he was surely angry. I was punched in the face another time before I fell to the cream-coloured floor. Surrounding us were a big group of students cheering for the fight. I looked around and I spotted a school logo.

I got up slowly and yet I fell again. And again, and again. Then I felt a pair of hands pulling me again from a punch that was coming my way. It was the same young lady, without the face. Thank god the punch didn't hit her. The boy stopped as he looked at her. "Why did you stop?" She stood there confidently, fearless. The other male put his fist down slowly, as if softened.

"I rejected you, and then I looked for him. It's my fault that you can't get me as your date. Why don't you punch me as well?" 

The boy looked down, shameful of his doings. He said nothing, only falling into the silence. Then she turned. Her fingers reached for my face, "Oh, Donghae." That voice echoed in my head for a long time. It was louder and louder. 

Donghae woke up, unable to catch his breath. He found Sungri sitting beside him. Donghae looked at his shoulders and two plugs were connected to the charging system. Donghae swallowed his saliva before speaking, "What happened?"

"Your battery overheated," Sungri explained, "I should be asking you what happened instead." The doctor sighed, "Don't over power yourself, you understand me?" Donghae nodded, "But, dad. I didn't." Sungri looked at him, "What?" "I had a flashback," Donghae said, "Not the first time. I-"

"Why didn't you tell me before?" Sungri said anxiously. He pulled out his notepad and a pen. Donghae pursed his lips before speaking, "I was afraid that you would get angry because you said that retrieving my memories would be bad." Sungri smiled at Donghae, ruffling his hair, "That is if you searched on the net and that was when you just started working. I was afraid that memories would kill you," Donghae nodded.

"Okay, tell me more." Sungri was ready to write everything down.

~~~~~

Donghae was pressing buttons on a machine while the students were doing their work. He tried to take his eyes off of how cold Victoria was treating Yoona. Donghae avoided Victoria's glance every time she looked over at him. 

Then the clock ticked, stating that it was lunch time. "It's lunch time, be back before two," Donghae said while he pressed the buttons for the last time. The machine went back to the ceiling where it came from. Donghae typed a few wordings into his document before getting off his seat. Before the students and him left the room, Hyoyeon came running into the room. In her hand was the day's newspaper. 

"Donghae, look," she didn't bother if the students were looking or not. Donghae took a glance at the title before signaling at his students to leave first. "See you at the canteen, sir," one of them said before leaving. Yoona stood by her seat, she wasn't sure if it was her concern walk over. Victoria sat by her desk, watching Donghae. 

"Doctor Lee is angry," Hyoyeon explained as Donghae took the papers. Possible scandal: Robot Boy and Yoona seen walking into a hotel? Donghae sighed angrily and tossed it onto the table, "It's not even true. Yoona and I are just friends." That was when Yoona walked over. She took the papers. She gasped as she dropped the papers. Yoona couldn't believe it, was she going to end up like Gyuna, vanished from the world and never to appear again? "Be careful," Donghae caught her when she fell. Yoona nodded before standing on her wobbling legs. She leaned on the table as her thoughts ran through her mind crazily. 

"What did father say?" Donghae asked Hyoyeon. She looked at the table for a while before speaking, "He discussed it with our department and he even held an official meeting for that. And now.. KASEL.. wants to file a case against Luna, the reporter." Victoria gasped. The three turned. Hyoyeon rolled her eyes and laughed sarcasticly, "Isn't it the 'now-ex-girlfriend', Victoria?" Hyoyeon looked away from her. Donghae shook his head, "Noona, don't say that."

"KASEL has thought of checking her off the course and cut short Yoona's time here," Hyoyeon scratched her head, "But they really want to sue Luna and her company. Because none of the evidence here is real, just bull and made-up-stuffs." Hyoyeon picked up the papers and Yoona helped, "Sorry for dropping the papers." Hyoyeon smiled, "It's okay."

"Let's talk it over lunch," Hyoyeon pulled Yoona and Donghae along. He looked at Victoria for a while before turning away sadly. Victoria was left alone in the room, with no one caring for her. And it only makes her more angry.

Yoona stood beside Donghae awkwardly. "You better not be so awkward, Yoona-ssi," Donghae broke the silence, "We are friends, remember?" He gave her a smile. Yoona looked at him and smiled but it disappeared when more people entered the lift. She looked away from him, hiding their relationship. Hyoyeon rolled her eyes when she heard whispers from some of the students, "How can you say things about your main teacher?" she said when she recongised some of her students. They quietened down. Donghae only maintained a genuine smile, "It's alright. That's what gossips are for," he sighed. 

Gossips

Then, Donghae's vision went black.

 

The white light stung his eyes as he opened them slowly. He woke up in level 26, in a room in the J room. He recongised Yoona immediately. Her eyes glowed when she saw him awake, "Hyoyeon unnie, he's up!" Hyoyeon turned and put down ehr files quickly. She ran to him, "What did you saw?"

Yoona looked at Hyoyeon, "What do you mean?" Hyoyeon looked at Yoona, "Donghae recently had flashbacks when he out." Yoona gasped but she covered it up with a nervous smile, "W-why, that's ni-nice." Donghae looked at her with a smile, "Thanks." Yoona only nodded before standing up to get a glass of water. "Carry on, tell me," Hyoyeon sat down and pull out her notebook, "Oh, by the way, I found a few people who could be your parents and a few schools you have been to." Yoona nearly choked on her water. 

"You researched so much?" Donghae asked as he wanted to sit up. Hyoyeon stopped him, "You lie down, you are not fully charged yet." Donghae nodded and waited for her answer. Hyoyeon smiled, "Doctor helped." Donghae's eyes widened, "He seriously did it?" Hyoyeon nodded, "He sure did. Plus he felt bad for taking your body away without your parents' permission and blah, blah, blah.. So, yeah."

"He shouldn't have taken his body away," Yoona mumbled. 

"So, start talking. We might find out more things." Hyoyeon smiled before clicking on her pen. Donghae nodded, "I was in a room. I was in a bathtub. Brown murky water. The curtains were drawn. A penknife in my hand and I... I-I-I.." Donghae didn't know how to carry on. Hyoyeon watched while Yoona stood faraway. "What's wrong," Hyoyeon asked. Donghae sighed, "I started cutting."

"Cutting what?"

"My wrists," Donghae swallowed, "Another on my ankles and last one on the my belly." Donghae shut his eyes and the same scene flashed across his eyes. Hyoyeon reached to check his forehead, "Geez, why is your forehead so hot? I'll get a thermometer. Yoona, get a towel and a basin of water," Hyoyeon left the room. Yoona did so and she walked over to Donghae awkwardly. Donghae watched as she squeezed the towel tightly, "Here." She wiped his forehead gently, not wanting to get water into his eye. Donghae watched but he didn't speak.

"Donghae, are you alright? Why are you looking at me-"

"Tell me," Donghae spoke, "How long are you going to pretend?" Yoona backed away, "Donghae, what are you talking about?" Donghae pursed his lips before speaking again, "I saw you in that flashback. You opened up the curtains. You were crying. You were the girl that I don't remember." Donghae explained. Yoona looked away, "I should go-"

"No," Donghae pulled her arm, "Stay." Yoona looked at him before the tears started to form in her eyes, "I am sorry. But I-I-I-I saw you die in front of my eyes, Donghae. I saw you die," she squatted down and cried. Donghae watched, "Yoona. I..."

"You said that you love me but you suicide," Yoona explained. Donghae offered her to sit beside him. Yoona stood up slowly before sitting down. Donghae looked at her, "I am sorry, but I don't remember what I've said or who I was." Yoona sniffed before crying again. Donghae could only watch because he couldn't feel how she felt. "I'm sorry that I don't remember."

"It's not your fault. People in high school shouldn't have done all these things to you." Then the room became silence. Yoona shut her eyes, trying to calm herself down. Donghae pursed his lips before reaching out for her hand.

"Tell me more?"

~~~~~

Donghae ignored all the reporters that was outside his house and the building. He told the same to Yoona, just ignore them. Despite that, they still met up. 

"They just don't give up, do they?" Donghae asked Yoona as they stood by a window in the building. Yoona nodded, "That's why they are reporters, they are quite stubborn." Donghae agreed. "It will be funny if they report all the same thing every day because we just don't respond," Donghae laughed before dumping the coffee cup into the bin. "But.. Luna is good at making stories," Yoona explained before drinking her coffee again. Donghae sighed, "That, I also have to agree. She is some crazy reporter."

Yoona laughed, "Let's see if she's still crazy with the building trying to sue her." Donghae nodded and smiled but it disappeared when he saw Victoria walking down the walk way. Victoria looked at him before bouncing away from his stare. Donghae waved to Yoona before chasing Victoria, "Vic," he called out. She didn't turn and she even walked faster.

"Let's talk," he stopped at his tracks. Victoria turned and stopped, "Okay. What?" Donghae walked closer, "I thought we were friends." "We are," Victoria walked with Donghae. Donghae sighed, "But why are you avoiding me?" Victoria pursed her lips and didn't answer. Donghae stood in front of her, "Please. I can't bear to lose another wonderful person in my life." Victoria sighed and tried to walk again. "I am begging you," Donghae held her arm, "You are a nice girl."

"Fine," Victoria smiled before walking away. Donghae watched her as she walked away, "You are not angry anymore, right?" Victoria walked a while before turning, "I never was, remember?" she smiled back at him. Donghae walked back from where he came from.

"Did she ignore you?" Yoona asked. Donghae smiled, "No. We are.. Okay now." Yoona nodded before turning to the window again. Donghae leaned on the railings, "So..." Yoona turned, wondering what he was going to say. "How was I like in high school?" Yoona smiled, "Stubborn, quiet, quite childish and closed-up." Yoona looked at him, "You never really walked to anyone because they thought you were a freak. Even Tiffany and Jessica," Yoona laughed, "But you always looked at me and give me smiles once in a while."

"Really?" Donghae asked. Yoona nodded, "Everyone told me that you were a freak, a e. But I am also a stubborn girl, I still believed that you were some how a nice kid," Yoona looked at Donghae, "And my gut wasn't wrong, you were a really nice guy. You took me out for prom."

"No way," Donghae laughed, "Me? You? For prom? You got to be joking." Yoona crossed her arms, "What do you mean, Mister Lee Donghae?" Yoona pushed his shoulder gently, "You should thank me, I was the one who dragged you to prom."

"No," Donghae said, "Even though I don't remember, I am sure you didn't drag me."

"Oh, really," Yoona said. Donghae nodded. "You can ask Tiffany and Jessica yourself." Yoona walked away and Donghae followed. "Alright, alright," Donghae said before laughing. "Okay, before this conversation ends, I want to ask who was the guy who punched me in the stomach on that one time where you came up to stop me?" Donghae whispered. Yoona stopped at her tracks, "Wha-what?"

"I had a flashback on another day when you called me about the news and bla bla, " Donghae said, "So yeah." Yoona nodded, "So.. Do you want to meet him?"

 

Yoona smiled at Donghae a couple of times as they waited for Taecyeon and a few of the boys. "Why are you so excited?" Donghae asked Yoona. "I want to see Taecyeon's awkward face when he walks in." Yoona smiled again. 

"I don't know why I only talked to you in high school, weirdo." Donghae slurped on his drink before Yoona pinched him on the hand. "Don't you think that you are KASEL's darling, you can comment on Korea's favourite actress," Yoona said. Donghae pouted, "Okay, Miss Yoona."

"Good boy," she said. Donghae threatened to hit her but he backed down, "I don't fight with kids." "Oh, really, is this how you want it to be, Mister Lee?" Yoona crossed her arms. Donghae laughed, "Maybe?" They laughed together until they saw the familiar three walking into the cafe. 

"It will be so awkward."

"Maybe you shouldn't have punched him during high school."

"Can the both of you shut up?"

Siwon smiled at Yoona, "Hey." Donghae pointed at them, "Woh!" he pointed at Kyuhyun and Taecyeon as well, "Weren't these people sitting behind me during the musical?" Kyuhyun smiled, "You remember?" Donghae nodded, "Of course. You guys kinda.. Freaked me out that time," Donghae smiled before slurping on his drink. He looked away awkwardly before smiling at Yoona.

"Good to have you back," Kyuhyun said. He sat down beside Donghae. There was an awkward silence as Donghae looked at each of them. He looked down and sighed, "Don't feel sorry for me. I know how I was like," he said, "I am here to get some answers, not to make any of you feel bad about the high school me." Yoona nodded, "Let me introduce them to you," she smiled, "Ok Taecyeon, Cho Kyuhyun and Choi Siwon."

"I am sorry," Taecyeon blurted out, "I never really apologised to you before."

"You don't need to, I really don't remember what happened," Donghae put his drink down, "I suicide, didn't I?" Everyone answered. "Tell me more, please," Donghae said, unable to stand the silence between them.

"In seriousness, you were a creepy high school kid," Siwon said, "You never spoke to anyone. Well, except for Yoona. You did many creepy things," Siwon sighed, "Everyone hated you."

"I used to think that you were an idiot, coward and a tard," Taecyeon swallowed, "But now, totally not." Donghae nodded. Kyuhyun maintained his smile, "The only thing I remembered that I got scolded by a Math teacher because I lost my homework, you dumped it into the trashbin," Kyuhyun laughed. Donghae smiled, "Really?"

"There was also that one time Taecyeon's face got feathered," Yoona laughed, "And you came out of the gents. Started running when you saw me."

"Let's not get there," Donghae said to her when he saw the look in her eyes, "I just want to know what I left behind when I.. You know," he swallowed. 

"No one really knows," Siwon explained, "Yoona only got notes from you and you rarely spoke." Yoona looked down. The notebook, she thought, there was that blue notebook. Yoona shut her eyes. "What notebook?" Donghae asked. Yooona looked at him with her eyes watery. She shook her head, "Nothing."

"You know that I can read your face," Donghae said, "But I don't know why I can.. Actually read your thoughts," he looked into Yoona's eyes, "Only yours. And you promised to tell me." Yoona sighed before nodding, "Alright," she whispered. Yoona reached into her bag. She grabbed the blue notebook. Flashing across her mind was the scene where she saw Donghae in the bathroom. 

Donghae grabbed her arm gently, "It's okay," he hugged her, "It's alright." Yoona pulled out the blue notebook before crying again. "I am here," Donghae said, "You are not losing me again."

Donghae leaned his lips to her ear, "Never again."

********************

Sorry for being on a hiatus lately! Been so busy with school and damn, the national examinations are going to be this year!

I hope the updates alright...

Thank you for the support you guys give!

Subscribe, comment, upvote!