Lemon Tarts

Our Little Things
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was morning, and a young man wearing a black bomber jacket over his untidy school uniform with a black guitar case slung behind his back entered his high-school classroom. After greeting his fellow classmates, the frontman of the school’s highly popular rock band Jung Yonghwa was walking towards his seat on the back of the class, just beside the window, when the recently-familiar pink crepe paper wrapping showed a bit of itself from the compartment below his desk.

He felt his spirits light up a little. He didn’t even know when everything started.

Well, actually, to be honest, he did. It was two weeks ago when pink crepe papers started to greet him with delicious delicacies every morning. He first got a red-velvet cupcake with vanilla icing and edible gold flakes spread on top, then a rainbow bagel the next day, and a fresh batch of star-shaped chocolate chip cookies the next, and so on. Each pastry would be accompanied with a perfumed note saying, “I hope it sweetens your day as you did to me. From your secret admirer.”. He had to ask around his classmates for possible clues, but no one really knew anything. 

He had to admit it was really cute. It was as though someone found out about charming and rebellious golden boy Jung Yonghwa’s secret sweet tooth, and decided to amp it more with more sweets. He swore that one day, he may get either eternally hyperactive or diabetes. However, he really wished his secret admirer wasn’t a boy, because he was absolutely positive that he wouldn’t be able to return his feelings. Although, even if it were a girl, he wouldn’t be able to return her feelings just the same. 

Someone had already stolen his heart, you see, cake or no cake.

He sat down and took the pink wrapping out of his desk. He smelled something tangy from the inside, and thought that that day’s treat would be lemon tart. It was as though the person who made it was being considerate to his blood sugar levels and decided to bake something less sweet that day. He smiled a little, picturing his ‘secret admirer’ covered with powdered sugar the night before baking lemon tarts.

Sudden squeals and exclaims of greetings were heard from the classroom door, and he almost immediately found out who was coming without even turning his head. The sound of a chair being dragged was suddenly heard, and a girl with straight black hair and immaculate and proper uniform sat down at the seat next to him. It was his own ‘secret crush’.

“Hello, seatmate,” he smiled lazily. “Guess what? I got a treat again today. Wanna share?”

The girl sitting beside him was arranging her stationery and books on top of her desk when he called out to her. She was blessed with big doe eyes and smooth skin despite not really taking care of it, which incited envy from her peers. She was the friendly model student Seo Joohyun, who was also class president and a member of the student-body committee. She turned her head towards him and said, “No, thanks. What is it today?”

“You guess,” he smirked.

“Fruit tart, I guess. Or maybe sweet potato cake,” she guessed indifferently while settling her things, although her eyes twinkled a little when mentioning the latter, her favorite sweet delicacy.

He shook his head. “You’re so close; it’s lemon tart. Don’t you think it’s weird that she hasn’t shown herself after two weeks? At this rate, she might even be able to open her own bakery.”

“I guess so,” she replied. “Maybe she’s just shy. Or is afraid that you might not reciprocate her feelings? I dunno, aren’t you supposed to be a hugely popular heartthrob, Mr. Jung Yonghwa?” She as she nudged him in light-hearted humor. 

When people knew that the studious student and punk-rock rebel were almost as close as two peas in a pod, they would open their eyes wide open or try to brush the matter off in disbelief. But their incongruous friendship was a fact pretty well-known by the whole student body, and honestly, they

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter