Just One Night

Our Little Things
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“We’re over, remember?” His voice had an edge on it, and was cold. “Don’t you recall that day when you just cut all contact with me?”

Hers was his opposite; fiery and filled with passion. “Yes, but you’re the one who told me you lost the spark! That you’re not even sure we’re still in love anymore!”

Just when a chance encounter nine months after their separation wasn’t good enough, both of them had to down several shots of alcohol before finally facing each other. They used to be an ordinary couple with cheesy conversations and almost cringe-worthy public displays of affection despite years of being together. They were the epitome of the sweet campus couple, their careers were on the right track, and both parents loved them. They were secure, they were safe, and people thought they were a perfect match. Some of their friends even placed bets on when and where their wedding would be held. They were one of those couples that seemed like they completed each other; a couple whom people thought they’d grow old together.

But they were wrong. They had problems, lingering under the false pretenses of their flawless relationship. She was too greedy and prideful, and he was too stagnant and unprogressive. She was an ambitious woman who liked to test herself to new heights; her planner was filled with meetings and plans and more meetings. He liked to stay where he were; he never cared about glory and power and status, he couldn’t care less if he worked at his current position 30 years from then. She was living life at the fast track, and all he wanted was a long pause. It was like watching a movie with delayed audio.

They weren’t in sync anymore.

And that’s when they spent less days truly being together, less nights being in each other’s embraces. Their rare dates almost always ended with them busying themselves over their own affairs or with half-assed confrontations that ended with much to be desired. They never tried to talk their problems out; both would rather kept mum instead of resolving their issues.

Both had so much pent up anger, dissatisfaction, and unhappiness that it was no wonder one day, they blew up and created a mess. Even their breakup was unresolved, with him expressing his unhappiness and her suggesting their separation right away, leaving no talk about their feelings. It was ironic, really, that they used to share everything with each other.

However, being together for so long, they did have a lot of mutual friends, and it was a no brainer that both were invited to a friend’s brand release. Both he and she attended knowing that the other would be present as well, and dreaded to have the prospect of facing each other again after that unsatisfying and embarrassing breakup. Yet, both had a little piece of their respective hearts that were curious to see whether the other was doing well.

Which brought us to this scene unfolding right then, 3 gin and tonics for him and 3 tequila shots for her later.

“But it’s true. You didn’t seem to care about me anymore,” he retorted. “And along the way, I stopped caring about you as well.”

“What a crybaby,” she harrumphed, placing her shot glass into the bar table. “I bet your sensitive you’re happier now than you were in the past.”

“You’re right and you’re wrong,” he sighed. “I am happier now than those several grueling years leading to our breakup, but I’m definitely not happier than I was during our happier times.”

Her eyes softened at his remark, however they still attained that fiery quality of hers. “I bet you’re just saying that because it’s been nine months and you haven’t found a rebound yet,” she remarked, leaning her body against him. “But I have to admit, those times were really happy.”

“How did you know I’m still single?” He smirked. “And how could you assume I’m just trying to get into your pants? I have to say that your quick assumptions are a quality I both love and hate, Seo Joohyun.”

She squinted her eyes at him, as though she was trying to analyze a very complicated case. “And your over-calculating nature is a quality I both love and hate. You know, you could be very successful if yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter