c h a p t e r o n e

When Cupid Falls in Love

Hello, my name is Kim Soo Hyun! Also known as the matchmaker of Busan High! I could almost be considered the cupid of the twenty-first century! If you’re lonely and single, give me a call!

 

I have a great reputation. I’ve paired up seven couples in my career, and I’m not slowing down anytime soon! The main point you have to remember as a matchmaker is to never ever mix up the cliques.

 

That, my friends, is an automatic death spell. Imagine a nerd picking her nose and fantasizing about Albert Einstein while her date, a kingka, talks about fast, expensive cars and celebrities.

 

That would be an absolute disaster.

 

Then again, kingkas never need my services because….well, they’re kingkas. Ever heard of a kingka having trouble finding a girl?

 

Exactly.

 

 “Soo Hyun! Have you arranged me a date for Sunday yet?” Heechul screeched from across the room.

 

“JUNG CHAE RIN! MEET AT THE RESTAURANT “GREAT WALL OF CUISINE” AT SIX O’CLOCK SHARP!” I shouted back, giving him thumbs up.

 

I swear, Heechul is the hardest client I’ve had to serve. He wants a real tomboy to contrast with his femininity. No matter how many times I’ve tried to convince him that maybe he prefers boys, he’s shot me with the same response:

 

“I’M NOT GAY!”

 

 

Honestly, I’ve set him up with three dates already. Needless to say, they’ve all failed desperately. The first date came back, complaining how Heechul stated that he was prettier than her.

 

The second date said that Heechul spent 99 % of the date complaining about an imaginary pimple. Supposedly, he had asked all the waiters for some concealer and threw a hissy fit when none of the concealers fit his skin tone.

 

The third time, the girl told me she was not a lesbian, and did not like girls in that way. No matter how many times I told her that Heechul was a male, she wouldn’t believe me.

 

“Hey, Soo Hyun! Are you sure this one’s a keeper? The last three were kind of mediocre,” Heechul approached me, carrying a black furry thing in his arms.

 

“I’m honestly not sure,” I replied restlessly. “Is that your new pet?”

 

I was kind of disgusted by it. It had no eyes or mouth whatsoever, and it was just so limp. It didn’t even move a millimeter even though I had been staring at it for a full minute.

 

It’s my wig, silly!” Heechul giggled, as if I had told the funniest joke known to man.

 

Trust me, I’m not a jokester.

 

“Great to know,” I murmured. I didn’t even want to know what he had that wig for, since his natural hair was shoulder-length already.

 

“Soo Hyun, thank you for organizing that date for SoHee and me. We really hit it off!” Jiyong grinned, his arms wrapped around a cute-looking girl.

 

“No problem! I knew you guys would love each other!” I replied, walking away from them. A matchmaker needs some alone time too, you know?

 

I bet you’re wondering why I know so many people in the school and their preferences and all. You probably think it’s because I’m super popular right? Well, it’s true.

 

…..Okay, maybe not! It’s just because I also write the anonymous article in the school newspaper, “Ask Ms. Help & Advice”.

 

I know, it’s a really horrible title, but our fifty-year old principal with hairy mole made it up, so you can’t really expect anything great. He came to me because I’m the girl who you can trust with a secret. I mean, who can I blab to when I have only have one true friend, who lives on the other side of the planet?

 

The majority of the students probably don’t even read the newspaper, but a lot of them write to me just because they need someone to vent to.

 

I swear, the students in this school are really messed up sometimes.

 

They write to me about how their boyfriends might be cheating on them because they glanced at a forty-year old storekeeper while asking for the price of an object.

 

Like seriously, paranoid much?

 

There are just some really random questions like what they should do if their cat coughs up hairballs repeatedly. How am I supposed to know? Do I seem like some cat expert to you?

 

Then again, you can really tell about one’s personality from their problems and how they write. That is why I started the Kim Soo Hyun matchmaking service. It’s absolutely free of charge. It happened quite innocently, when I matched up Sun Hee with a guy from my Literature class. Sun Hee was my depressed lab partner who annoyed me about her problems and how no one would ever date her. I paired her up with a very optimistic guy who was quite the opposite of her. The minute they met each other, I swear sparks were in the air. Well, more like tiny tiny tiny flicks of light, but close enough.

 

Since I was so successful, word spread and people actually came to me for help.

 

And no, I don’t pair up people with absolutely the same characteristics and personality. Although the pairings are within their own respective cliques, there’s got to be some spice in there. Two clones are not going to have a good relationship together.

 

All of a sudden, someone broke my thought bubble.

 

“Soo Hyun, can I talk to you for a second?” Onew asked me quietly.

 

Before anything else happens, I have to introduce Onew and his group to you. They are the Kingkas of Busan High.

 

And yes, it needs to be bold because it is a very important title. They are called “SHINee” and don’t ask me why that is their name because I have no idea. Maybe because some crazy girls who need glasses think they are shiny and they make eeeeee noises with their foot as they walk by?

 

Like I said, you shouldn’t have asked. My imagination goes overboard =.=”

 

Onew and I were best friends back in elementary school. *sighs* Those were the good old days when popularity didn’t matter. That friendship ended when we reached junior high and he found himself some shiny new friends. I WAS THROWN AWAY, LIKE A BATTERED OLD TOY.

 

Yes, I know I’m dramatic.

 

We’re still civil though, but I was definitely still surprised when Onew came up to me.

 

“Sure, we can talk,” I gestured awkwardly.

 

He quickly looked around to see if anyone was eavesdropping on our conversation. Since we were in the corner of the classroom, nobody really was paying attention.

 

“You’re….a matchmaker right? Can you help?” Onew asked.

 

“What? You need MY help?” I asked loudly because I was so surprised.

 

“Shh. Not me. Jonghyun of our group needs some help finding a girl. Well, actually, the members of SHINee want him to find a girl because he’s too much of a player these days,” Onew muttered. “We’ve tried helping him, but the dates don’t go very successfully,”

 

I stared at him in shock. A kingka needed some matchmaking help? Has hell frozen over?

 

Then the name sunk into my head:  Jonghyun.

 

I swear that guy could make an angel turn into a devil. He is that obnoxious. He’s a player and doesn’t even care about who he’s played with as long as he’s happy.

 

And no, I’m not hating on him because I’m jealous or whatever. Kim Soo Hyun hates people for a reason. He’s inconsiderate, rude, selfish, thoughtless –

 

I could go on and on, but I don’t want to waste my time on a guy like him.

 

“Not interested. Sorry,” I said, waving Onew off.

 

“I know you don’t….like him very much,” Onew continued. “But you have to keep professional! Work is work! Your private life and thoughts are a whole different matter,”

 

No way,”

 

“Please? We’re really worried about him,” Onew pleaded. “He’s gotten even more player-ish these days,”

 

“What’s in it for me?” I asked. I was really just kidding because I didn’t think any prize would be worth it.

 

“Minho,”

 

Damn. Onew still remembered my crush from elementary school. It didn’t help that the crush had blossomed these last few years into something more.

 

“What? So you’re going to give me a date with him?” I asked, trying to act calm even though my inner fangirl was creeping out.

 

“No, I’ll be a matchmaker for you guys. You’re not that bad. You’re quite pretty and if you got rid of that sassy attitude of yours, you guys would fit,” Onew said, inspecting me.

 

“Fine. I have to train Jonghyun though. There’s no way an honest girl will commit to him if he’s the same egoistic bastard as he is now. Tomorrow in the school field at 12:00 sharp. If he’s late, it’s over,” I declared before walking away.

 

I couldn’t believe I was doing this, but it was all for Minho.

 

SooHo? MinHyun?’ I thought as I tried to come up with a couple name for Minho and I.

 

Man, I’m desperate.

 

That night, I went to bed extra early. My nightmare was going to start tomorrow, and I would need a lot of energy to put up with someone like Jonghyun.

 

The things I do for love… *sighs*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Corner:

This was more of an introductory chapter than anything :P Just to introduce things & stuff :D

Thank you to wickedaika for being the first suscriber & commenter. BTW, I love your stories [especially She's Into  So Call me Gay & the Once Upon a Fairytale].  I hope I don't disappoint you :3  & btw, I    

I think this is a long-ish chapter. I mean, it looked long in Microsoft Word ._. & IT TOOK FOREVER TO TYPE I SWEAR ALSKNFALNF. Or maybe I'm just a slow typer .... D: [the five mosquito bites on my fingers didn't help either. I swear, I typed for like 2 min and then I had to scratch for like 10 minutes. =.="]

& so anyways, even thought the story probably isn't very good, I hope some people enjoy it!

Comment & suscribe please! (:

-soshihoney