End

Labyrinth

 

Four years later
 
She smiled, feeling really light-hearted because summer has arrived. Summer is her favorite season out of the four seasons. It makes her feel joyful, seeing all the bright colors everywhere.
 
She looked at the sky, raising her hand, having the sunlight streaming through the gaps of her fingers, smiling blissfully while admiring the ring on her fourth finger.
 
Just a week ago, she has been proposed by the love of her life.
 
The proposal was nothing but sweet and romantic. Just like how the man that she’s going to be marrying in a month’s time is. Most importantly, the proposal was also out of the blue.
 
Even though the topic of marriage has come out on their conversation several times before, but she didn't expect him to have proposed so soon.
 
She gathered her shopping bags as well as groceries bags before standing up from the bench and head home.
 
* * *
 
She now lives alone in a three room flat, though she wouldn't really call it as living alone seeing how her fiancé always comes over to stay over.
 
He gave her the excuse saying he's afraid she might feel too lonely living by herself and when she retorted telling him that she has been living alone for years, seeing how her parents are rarely seen at home, he just brushed her off, making her giving him an amused smile.
 
After packing her groceries, she started to chop up all the ingredients needed, preparing to make sushi, her fiancé’s favorite food, for dinner.
 
She was probably too engrossed in cooking the ingredients for the sushi, and missed the sound of her door opening.
 
An arm s around her waist, bringing a smile to her face and made her stop everything that she was doing and held onto the arm that was holding her. The owner of those arms rested his chin on her shoulder before sneaking a peck on her cheek.
 
'Why are you here so early? Don't you have work?' She turned around to ask him, not even trying to stop the smile from creeping onto her face. Still having his arms on her waist, Joonmyun pulled her closer before leaning in for a kiss. He pouted cutely before leaning his forehead on hers, 'Why? You don't like seeing me here?' He asked, pretending to be hurt.
 
'What if I said no?' She asked teasingly before laughing at his appalled expression. 'I'm kidding. I was just curious since you told me that there are so much paperwork for you to handle at work.' She continued before putting her hand on one side of his cheek, it, feeling apologetic that he always looks so tired after work.
 
Joonmyun held the hand that was on his cheek and smiled while looking at her fondly, knowing exactly what she was thinking.
 
'It's okay, baby. Your father is strict to me because he wants to nurture me to take over the company. Don't worry, he's becoming more lenient to me after I've proposed to you. He was the one who asked me to come back earlier, you know.' He told her with an amused smile upon seeing her disbelief expression.
 
* * *
 
Flashback
 
He opened his mouth and started, ‘I… I, too, like you a lot. You know, you intrigue me.' Her eyes widened a little from his answer, 'Intrigue…? Is that a good or a bad thing?' Joonmyun chuckled a bit, 'Well, it's not exactly a good nor is it a bad thing.'
 
'You know, you don't actually have to worry about me not wanting to be your friend anymore even after knowing everything about you, because that's exactly the reason why I wanted to know you in the first place.'
 
He smiled, pausing before looking intently back at her. With him looking so intently at her, her heart couldn't help but skipped a beat.
 
'I'll be by your side, forever, if that's what you want me to do.'
 
She smiled happily, ducking her head lower so that Joonmyun wouldn't be able to see how her cheeks flushed crimson red.
 
* * *
 
Life is not a bed of roses, and just like any other relationship of a normal couple, both of them has got their ups and downs in their relationship, too.
 
Joonmyun and her personality are like the north and south poles of a magnet, they're the exact opposite of each other. But that's also the thing that attracts the both of them together, just like how the north pole attracts the south.
 
While Joonmyun is a social butterfly and could also easily open up to others, she, on the other hand, wasn't as sociable as he was, finding it hard to open up to people because of her depression and only kept a few good friends close to her.
 
Thus, of course she wasn't that exhilarated to see her boyfriend chatting happily with a group of girls.
 
'Joonmyun, what kind of movies do you like to watch? Perhaps we can watch together someday!' One of the girls in the group chirped way too cheerfully, making her wince a little at her voice. 'Well, I'm okay with any kinds of movie, just not horror movies.' She vaguely heard Joonmyun reply.
 
She scribbled randomly on her notebook – something she always do when she's upset – sulking as she continued watching how Joonmyun acts around the group of girls. She then decided to block out all of their voices and focus on scribbling on her notebook.
 
Her best friend nudged her by the side, nodding at the direction where Joonmyun is. She unconsciously pouted before sighing, 'What about it?'
 
'What do you mean 'what about it'? Shouldn't you stop your boyfriend from unknowingly flirting with a group of ignorant girls?' Her best friend widened her eyes at her reaction, or rather, lack of reaction knowing that she's a person who gets jealous easily and asked incredulously. 'I seriously wonder why you two decided to not say anything about your relationship when someone asked about it.' She continued, rolling her eyes.
 
She shrugged and continued sulking, and wondered why she requested Joonmyun not to talk about it herself as well. At first, she thought that their relationship will receive a lot of unwanted attention and she wasn't someone who enjoys attention, which explains her request.
 
But now, she felt as if she has made the worst mistake ever in her entire life.
 
 
'What's wrong with you today? Sulking over ice cream? That's not like you.' Joonmyun asked, feeling amused by how she's always all smiles when she has ice cream and curious at what is the thing that's bothering her.
 
She didn't answer and instead, decided to attack the cup of ice cream in front of her by poking it with her spoon mindlessly. When she saw Joonmyun arching an eyebrow at her, she just shrugged.
 
Joonmyun stopped eating his ice cream, and looked at her worriedly, knowing that something is really bothering her. 'Hey baby, what's wrong?' He furrowed his eyebrows, and placed his hand over the hand that she wasn't using.
 
She stopped whatever she was doing, and looked at him seriously. 'Let's announce our relationship to anyone who ask.' Joonmyun, once again, raised his eyebrows at her. 'Why? Did something happen?'
 
Her face fell upon hearing his reply, 'It's okay. Treat it like I've never bring this up.' She pushed her cup of ice cream away before continuing, 'Shall we get the bill already? I feel tired, I want to head home.' She was about to raise her head to get the attention of the waiter before Joonmyun stopped her.
 
He looked at her intently with his eyebrows knotted together, 'We're not going anywhere until you tell me what's wrong.' She rolled her eyes and sighed in frustration, 'Kim Joonmyun, do you feel happy whenever you're surrounded by a group of girls?' She asked in annoyance, crossing her arms and glared at him.
 
Joonmyun's eyes widened a little at her outburst, seeing how this is probably the first time she's angry with him. He suddenly laughed heartily, catching her off-guard, wondering what's funny about the situation.
 
'Kim Joonmyun, what's so funny? I'm angry and being serious right now!' She exclaimed, feeling even frustrated that her words aren't taken seriously.
 
'So… that's the reason why you've been sulking in class until now? I've been watching you, you know. And of course, your best friend's glare aren't unnoticed as well.' He smiled teasingly, leaning forward to cup on her cheeks lovingly.
 
'You know, even though you're really angry now, I'm feeling the exact opposite of you. I feel really happy.' He continued, making her arch an eyebrow at him, making him smile.
 
'I'm happy that you're actually feeling angry and jealous, that just shows that you care.' His eyes softened.
 
'I know you don't like the attention, so it's okay even if we don't announce our relationship to the world.'
 
'I'm sorry for making you jealous and angry over something that you don't even have to be, because my eyes, they could only see you. My mind, they're filled with thoughts of you, no matter if I am or am not with you. My heart, they're all yours. And my lips…' He leaned in and pressed a kiss on her nose before continuing, 'They're only for kissing you.'
 
With words like these, how could anyone not blush and smile blissfully to it? And well, that’s exactly what she did.
 
* * *
 
It is a known fact to everyone that Joonmyun has always been a romantic person, so his proposal would nevertheless be as romantic as how he is.
 
Joonmyun racked his brain for weeks, planning the most memorable proposal he could come up with. He knows that she wouldn't like it if he does something overboard, which he totally would if it weren't for her disliking it.
 
He smiled, feeling pleased of himself by coming up with the perfect proposal, or what he thinks is perfect for her.
 
He secretly prepared the bouquet of red roses – which are her favorite, booked the whole of the cafe that they first went on a date for, and most importantly choosing the rings. Even though he did all of these in a week, he pretended like he was busy with his work and requested to leave early from his father-in-law, which her father gladly approved.
 
Finally the day Joonmyun decided to carry out his proposal came.
 
Just like usual, after having dinner together, both of them went to their favorite cafe, getting desserts and the drinks that they usually order.
 
She narrowed her eyes while scrutinizing Joonmyun suspiciously, 'Why do you look as if you're cheerier than usual today?' She smirked before continuing, 'You better 'fess up now, you should know that my gut feeling is really accurate.'
 
Joonmyun bit his lower lips to stop himself from laughing, knowing how 'accurate' exactly her gut feeling is. 'There's nothing for me to confess, I'm just being my normal self. Is it wrong to be happy?'
 
Even though her suspicions are still lingering in her mind, she simply shrugged and moved on from it. They indulged themselves in their desserts, and while Joonmyun enjoys his iced mocha, she drank her iced chocolate blissfully.
 
'Baby, isn't it strange that there aren't any customers here today? Normally, even during the weekdays, there are always a handful of customers here.' She suddenly voiced out before taking a bite of her oreo cheesecake. Joonmyun just shrugged her question off and excused himself to the toilet.
 
While eating her cake, the lights in the cafe suddenly went off. She placed the fork down and looked around, panicking but there wasn't anyone there, and even the waiter wasn't at the counter too.
 
'Baby?' She exclaimed, standing up from her seat to walk over to the direction where the toilet was. 'Joonmyun?' She shouted even louder, feeling her heart beating rapidly against her body now that Joonmyun didn't answer her the first time she called him.
 
'Kim Joonmyun I swear if this is one of your pranks again, I—'
 
She was being cut off by the melody coming from the piano. Her head turned harshly to where the piano is and there Joonmyun was, sitting under where the spotlight was shining. Joonmyun chuckled a little at her confused expression.
 
She recognized that Joonmyun was playing her favorite song. The corners of her lips twitched upwards unconsciously and she just stood there, watching Joonmyun playing the piano and singing the song.
 
*As your guardian angel, I will block out that strong wind
Even if everyone turns their back against you
On hard days, I will wipe away your tears
If only I can be that kind of person
Wherever we go, it'll be heaven
 
I have come to love you now
There's no place for me to go back
My wings have been taken away
Even if I lost eternal life, the reason why I'm happy
Is because my forever is now you
Eternally love
 
All the while when Joonmyun was singing, his eyes have never left her, not even once. He wanted to convey what he wanted to say to her through the lyrics, wanted to let her know that he means everything he has sang. He took the bouquet of roses beside him before walking towards her and held her by her waist with his free hand.
 
'It's beautiful.' She took the roses from him with a delightful smile. 'Did you clearly hear what I sang just now?' He asked, raising his eyebrows, making her respond by nodding shyly with her cheeks flushed to the color of scarlet, 'Thank you.' She looked up, tipping her toes a little to peck on his lips. 'But… today isn't some special day that I should remember, right…?' She asked sheepishly.
 
He chuckled, shaking his head. 'Well, it isn't really a special day now but starting from this moment onwards, it will be the most significant day in our life.'
 
She arched an eyebrow, however before she could even open to speak, Joonmyun placed his finger on her lips to stop her from doing so. 'You'll just have to listen carefully to each and every word I have to say now. You can speak later.' Even though she still feels puzzled about it, she just did what he told her to and nodded.
 
Joonmyun tucked a stray hair behind her ears, smiling while looking at her affectionately. 'Everyday we're together, it just feels like a dream, making me not want to return to reality. But then again, I'd much rather wake up to reality knowing that you aren’t just a dream and that you'll always be in my arms.
 
And you know, I want to spend the rest of my life, living in this reality with you. I want to spend the rest of my life, listening to you nagging at how I should go and take a shower before lying on the bed after coming home from work. I want to spend the rest of my life, seeing how your face brightens up whenever you see me enjoying the food you cook. I want to spend the rest of my life, having those petty squabbles with you and how we would always apologize to each other after realizing how childish our squabbles are. I want to spend the rest of my life, being the last person you see before you sleep and the first person you greet 'Good morning' when you wake up. I also want to spend the rest of my life, continuing to figure you out, or not because I don’t exactly mind being trapped in that labyrinth of yours if I could be in there forever.
 
There are so many things that I want to spend the rest of my life doing with you, but you know… most importantly, I want to spend the rest of my life, loving you, knowing that you love me back as well.'
 
Tears were welling up in her eyes, even so, she was still beaming, feeling really moved from what he said. He smiled back, before bringing her left hand and placed a kiss on her ring finger. 'And you know, this could technically, only be done if you agreed with me wrapping my love around your ring finger, and yours on mine, forever.'
 
He then kneeled on one knee, taking out the little velvet box before opening it, revealing a round cut diamond ring, which he knows that she has been eyeing.
 
'So, will you give me the honor and the joy of being your husband?'
 
He watched her intently, feeling a little edgy when she didn't give him a reply immediately. But when he saw the corners of her lips twitched upwards, forming a wide grin, his tense self started to relax. She nodded happily, before placing her hand on his cheeks, making him leaning into it, 'You don't even have to ask.' She said, before engulfing him into a hug.
 
Joonmyun punched the air in delight, grinning from ear to ear before cupping her cheeks and leaned in for a kiss. They both rested on each other’s forehead after the kiss.
 
‘I love you.’
 
‘I love you more, Kim Joonmyun. Thank you for being the source of happiness in my life.’
 
That night, was no doubt, their happiest night ever.

A/N: So sorry that this update came so late ;A; I was really busy for the past few days and didn't have time to update and also because of the stupid writers' block I had :( But anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed this two-shots. Fyi, the song I used is EXO-K's Angel, if you guys are curious. 

I'll appreciate if you guys leave comments! 

Thank you guys for reading and I saw someone upvoted for this story, thank you so much!! :*

22ohfive.livejournal.com