Part IV: The Ferryman's Tale

Persephone's Granddaughter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

{Underworld, Time Unknown}

It proved to be many long nights in the underworld, as more souls began knocking at the gates of Hades for permission to be passed onto their next lives.  Demeter’s deadly wrath continues to shake the Earth, and her stubbornness of not reuniting with her daughter are making both the gods and mortals suffer.  Crops wilt, and starvation increases by the days.  But the harvest goddess doesn’t care, for she will stop at nothing to see her Persephone back by her side again.

The spring goddess herself, on the other hand, did not mirror her mother’s frustrations.  Standing quietly beside the guardian dog, she waits patiently by the docks for the new batch of souls to appear.  Her hand gently the beast’s floppy ears, and he gives a contented growl. 

“Thank you for coming with me, Cerberus.”

She smiles at him, and all three canine heads bark in unison.  No problem!  It’s always nice to have someone to talk to.  Ooh, and do continue with the scratching, it feels good!  his eyes seem to reflect that back to her. 

Persephone muffles a laugh.  “As you wish.”

A familiar chime echos from the corner.  Cerberus perks up his ears and quickly resumes his menacing guard-like position by the doors as the head of Charon’s boat comes into view.  Persephone also straightens up, and silently greets the ferryman as he stops his boat in front of the palace doors. 

One by one, the souls file out onto the docks and up the stairs.  Cerberus keeps a close watch on each one of them as they pass through the entrance gates.  A few stops to stare at the goddess in wonder, one particular spirit daringly stepping forth but the beast’s low growl sent him scampering back to the stone path.

The last of the souls leaves the boat, and Charon throws a chain towards one of the bamboo poles floating above the waters.  It immediately wraps itself around the shoot with a soft ‘clink’ and stays there.  The old ferryman flashes an amused grin at Cerberus.

“Bein' a bit over-protective now, aren’t ya?”

The dog gives a loud whine, and two of its heads swish to opposite sides, ignoring the bemused Charon.  He chuckles louder, and then his eyes land on the shy-looking maiden.  He inclines his head.

“Good evenin', m'lady.  I trust that your day has gone by well?”  Charon asks in a polite tone. 

Persephone quickly returns the gesture. 

“O-Oh, yes!  My day had gone by very well, t-thank you for asking!”

Charon flashes a knowing smile at the goddess’s still-untrusting tone, for she is still not completely used to the new surroundings or the people she sees every day.  He didn’t blame her.  Truthfully, when the ferryman first heard his master had fallen in love with a goddess from the world above, he personally thought the match was an unsuitable one.  However, after seeing the look Hades gave to Persephone during the judgments, he changes his mind to be more supportive of his master’s decision. 

A flutter of wings echoes through the canals of The Styx, the sound so soft and airy that only the two guardians detect it.  Cerberus gives a short yelp to his partner-in-crime, and Charon sighs.  “Back again, eh?”

Persephone leans forward.  “W-Who?  Who’s back, L-Lord Charon?”

The ferryman’s eyes widen at the title she has given him.  “Why, there is no need to think so highly on my position, m'lady.  Please, just address me by Charon.”

The spring goddess repeats in understanding.  “Charon.”

His eyes crinkle. 

The ferryman snaps his fingers, and an invisible force makes the chain uncoils itself from the pole.  Twisting in mid-air, the long metal wraps into a neat circlet which then falls into a single corner of his boat. 

Charon then extends his hand to Persephone.  “Would m'lady be interested in a boat ride?”

Persephone points to herself.  “M-Me?”

Charon nods. 

She looks at Cerberus for advice, but the beast merely nudges her feet closer to the edge of the docks.  Taking a deep breath, Persephone accepts the hand and climbs into the wooden boat.  It is rickety, and seems like it could topple over any minute with the extra weight.  Her feet shift nervously in the small space.

“Don't be scared, m'lady.  This ole thing is actually stronger than it looks.  We’ll be back in no time,” he reassures as his hands pick up the rowing stick. 

A slight push to the ground, and they are off.  Persephone sits quietly in the back, her body stiff so as to not rock the boat as much.  Charon senses her cautious behaviour. 

After a few moments of silence, he casually calls out, “Would m'lady like to hear a story?”

The goddess jolts a bit at his question.  She nods carefully, her curious side taking over her mind once again. 

"Yes, please."

Charon clears his throat.

“There once was a man named Lupius, the son of a river god and a mortal woman.  His momma, born with extraordinary beauty, was relentlessly pursued by both the deity himself and the son of the wealthy household she was sold to.  Over time, she gradually came to reciprocate the god’s affections and became pregnant with his chil'de.  The arrogant son grew jealous of their love, and plot

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter