Five

Half Dark

I was looking through the window, deep in my thoughts despite of the loud voice of our homeroom teacher reminding us about the rules and regulations on the upcoming festival.

A festival which is a traditional gathering of all the schools of this area of the country. Honestly speaking, I don’t care about the event. I hardly participated in any school activities even before we came to live here. It’s not that I’m bad with other people—but come to think of it… I practically annoy people a lot huh? Well, that should be considered as ‘bad with other people’.

Few weeks have passed since the incident—it change my way of life one after the other. For once I wasn’t bothered by people’s criticism. Well, it’s not like I’m saying I particularly cared before but what the hell! Who am I kidding? 

Setting that aside, the surroundings got even weirder for me, not the usual weird—well, uh much more weird that I rarely notice people’s eyes on me this days. Maybe because of all this terrifying things that I suddenly can see—I mean what the ! Who the hell wouldn’t practically jump and shout like crazy when you find someone—a bald head with a creepy grin showing its PERFECT set of black teeth right at your face as soon as you open your eyes? Man…. That really was more than I can take. Seriously, I feel like I should keep my voice because I need it these days—uh. Needed it for screaming.

Good news. I see them everywhere and the thought that they knew that I stood there watching them freaks me out to no ends—every time they stop to stare at me with those dark hole of an eye the words of that ghost girl would echo in my head.

These creatures thinks you’re their vegetable Kim Jaejoong…

These creatures thinks I’m nutritious.

. I don’t taste good! I was tempted to say that but talking to them and letting all of them know my existence is probably the dumbest thing I could do. At least mother gave me enough brain cells to draw that conclusion.

Sometimes though, I feel cold like I was enveloped by ice—not exactly ice but something really low in temperature that I could feel the little hair all over my body stand and left me dumbfounded on my spot. I try not to imagine it really... because if I do, I started to get really scared and feel shaky. I mean last time when our class representative was giving the results of the council meeting—this one eyed terrifying—ugh! I can’t even describe it properly. It came at her and hugged her from the back while smiling at me. SHIIIIIT MAN, how am I supposed to act in situation like that?

I was the only one who can see this… Shivers on me. 

What the hell was happening anyway? 

I sighed and was about to look away on the window when again, I noticed several shadows lurking outside. I could only imagine my brows furrowing on the sight. This occurrence have been happening recently and not so long ago, I realized I was the only one seeing that.

Once, I blurted out on some random teacher that a bunch of shadows were hugging him up but he only looked at me weirdly which made me think ‘—so I am the only one who can see that’?

I’m becoming weirder each day. Is that a bad news or a good one?

Anyway, I could do nothing about it. If this is not the work of my imagination which I’m certain that it is not--then there’s only one thing I could do… If I want answers, I have to find that ghost girl. For some reasons, the thought of her didn’t freak me out like a few weeks before—hell, I’ve seen WORST now. I even wish for her sometimes to just freaking show up and make things clear—or maybe I’m going the path of becoming crazy? 

I adjusted the fake glasses as I settled myself to listen on the lecture. Oh what?—the fake glasses? Sometimes I felt like laughing about it. You see, a few weeks prior my sight became weird… well, at least weird for me. I even didn’t notice I wasn’t wearing my glasses—which I recon I can’t wear anymore. Strange but my eyes become normal. I remembered that superhero. Wait. What was his name again? Oh right. Spiderman. He woke up to find himself unable to use his graded glasses just like me. 

Maybe I was bitten by a spider? I grinned at the thought.

Also, I took the time to dye my hair black. I just don’t like the stare people giving me—so, I resorted to wearing fake glasses and to change my hair back into its normal color. 

“Kim Jaejoong...” I mumbled an answer to the call as I took a final glance on the scenery outside.

“Can you help me give these papers on Mr. Park?” I could only imagine the look on everyone’s faces as they turn towards me. “These are the list of everyone’s task during the festival…”

I sighed. Yes, I know… Everyone in this school had something against me, I don’t know why. Even this teacher. How do I know, you ask? Just… I overheard her talking to other teachers while I was headed to my next class—and I can say she said some on me… pretty GOOD things. 

“Mr. Kim? What’s wrong? Are you sick?” My brows furrowed at her ‘usual trying to be concerned look’.

“M-fine…” I stood as the bell rang. 

“Okay class! You can stop writing now… dismiss!”

With that, everyone started to leave. I slumped my bag on my shoulders and approached her.

“Jaejoong… I know you have problems, so if you have something on your mind that’s bothering you, you could always consult me… Okay?” She smiled.

It’s hard to think otherwise on people when you already have an idea what they are. And really, I was deceived by her too… 

I stared for like seconds before grabbing the papers. I was about to turn when something caught my attention and I grinned—really my first ever genuine SMILE on this school. “There’s one…”

She beamed. “Really? What is it?”

“There’s someone at your back and its hugging you very nicely…” I bit my lip to keep myself from bursting into laughter while leaving. “That one was a very good reaction”.

“That’s not good at all.” I jumped frantically as something suddenly appeared right in front of me.

“What the heck was that for?!”

“Good day master…” She stared at me making me shiver—I can never get used to this.

I manage to walk normally after seconds as I noticed something. “The hell? Now it’s master?”

“We had a bad start…”

I snorted. “Practically terrifying...” I quickly took a glance at the hallway. I sighed in relief as I noted that nobody was seeing me talking like this or else they would think I am really taking intoxicants.

“Master… I am not only your guardian. I am your consulter in every way… that is my purpose since I was bound to you by your mother… And I must say that what you did was not something to be laughed at.”

“What are you mumbling about?” I don’t understand at all… She was mentioning mother all this time and yet… “And I was just telling the truth… I figured I should let her know since it DOES bother me…” This time I couldn’t stop my laughter.

“In demon terms I am called your turner.” I turned to look at the ghost girl, same grey faced long haired—uh wet girl? Wait. That sounds funny.

She furrowed her eyebrows—well she didn’t have any, but I could describe it like that by the look on her grey face as I couldn’t help but laugh at what I thought a while ago.

“Young master, what is supposed to be funny?” Her bluish lips moved with a straight face.

Am I an idiot? . I couldn’t even remember why I was so scared when she showed up a few days ago.

“By the way… Could you stop calling me like that? And I have many questions to ask you…”

“Aura…” 

“What?” I turned to look on the direction of her stare and found black fog curling up the halls--Is there a fire? 

“I see, D-rank…”

“You’re not even listening to me—wha—“I was stopped at my tracks as an echo came bouncing on the halls of the corridor. The sound was terrible like all noises put together, I can’t even describe it in words but one thing though. I’m feeling uneasy—as if it stayed on me and coated me that I suddenly feel nauseous. 

“Do you know what is--” I looked around frantically and sighed in resignation. The ghost girl disappeared on me again. 

“I have many questions to ask… Don’t disappear now…”

NO ANSWER. 

“Guess that was it huh?” I started walking to the direction of the gym to hand over the papers, ignoring the strange feeling I felt.

“….” The fog was getting thicker and thicker, yes it’s weird but I’m used to it by now. Happenings like WEIRD is now a part of my life but I could practically hear the racing heartbeat on my chest like I’m afraid of something which is really a start since I don’t know what should I be afraid about?

 This kind of thing, I mean this scenery was a first to me as someone who can see beyond human eye and I could tell by just my instinct that it’s far from good. 

The fog is moving like it has a mind… seriously, I feel cold sweat on me as I practically ignored it like the other students walking the hallway.

I jumped down the last stairs to the ground floor, half running as my heart feel like exploding.

 I feel uneasy. 

I hurried to walk past the big field as I heard noises of the students chatting, playing football and such things which normal people do and I don’t belong in the category. 

Kim Jaejoong is beyond normal. 

The noises which at another time will surely irritate my bored self was adding to my anxiety. The sound was different, it was like watching a film in a slow motion---! What’s happening?

I ran faster, I don’t know what this situation is, but one thing I’m sure about I need to get the hell out of here. I reached the gym gasping for air but was completely taken aback when the fog crawled on me like it’s practically aware I know its existence.

When I looked up, I cursed. The gym was dark, it was engulf by the fog.

 “Seriously?” I muttered.

I know I should turn my back and leave. Whatever is happening, it’s worst on this area. I just knew it. But I don’t know why my feet move forward instead.

“.” The only thing that I can say as I reached the entrance.

And then, right on the spot, my eyes went wide. I have the feeling that it’s worst here but I’m not prepared to see how WORST. 
The gym was all fog—swirling and swirling and it created a sound like a lullaby which had my hair all over my body stand. I shivered uncontrollably and my eyes moved the room despite the shaking.

“You’re half demon but you’re scared?” 

“What the ?” What the hell is happening…? My legs move on their own accord and now this? I’m going crazy.

"You don't fail to amuse me..." Another one.

“Where are you?” I murmured, terrified.

I could hear an amused laugh. It’s familiar. It’s close. Where it is? Where are you?

Then the realization made me dead on the spot. Inside my brain? I could hear it inside my brain?

"..........I’m a lunatic—“Before I can do anything--I caught figures on the fog. It took moment for me to recognize it but my sweaty fist clenched as I recognized the form.

It was that teacher rumored to be found kissing a student. And the sight---when I saw what actually was he doing, an air so cold surround me.

In this angle, you will think he was kissing that girl on his hands—but he was not.

And... The FOG...This hazy thing is coming from him.

The feeling when I see real danger coming on the way, crawled my skin and I can’t move from the spot from yes….. Fear.

As if on cue, he my direction and I was stunned. NO. Stunned is understatement. 

His face was not that look where girls and women alike practically screamed and giggled for. His face was grayish and full of hair—and his eyes were a pool of blood.

My skin crawled when he showed a smile...? It seemed this is his way of making excuses as I know, he didn’t realize I can see his true form and the fog. I’m just human… Yes, I’m human. I can’t see anything weird.

“Kim Jaejoong…” Did he grin? Because I could only see bared fangs and it made me murmur incoherent words. I was trembling on my spot. The things I saw so far, the ghost girl, the troll like creature—they’re nothing compared to this. This thing is a monster—I’m going to die.

“What are you doing here student?” His voice is rough and icy. I felt my insides tingling.

I can’t utter a word and instead I focused my attention on the familiar girl on his hand—she was that one… I remembered her on a cheerleading uniform. What did he do to her? Is she dead? 

. What should I do? I clenched my teeth as I felt it would chatter if I won’t do so. 

Kim Jaejoong’s a coward. . I hate this. I can’t do anything.

His pool of red eyes stared at the direction where I’m looking and smiled. “Ms. Cruz just feels nauseous… Don’t worry…”

He walked on my direction carrying the student. I can’t even move a fraction as he inched. . . .

“I’m going to bring her to the infirmary now…” He whispered on that rough voice as he stopped on my side. I still couldn’t move. What the hell? Move Jaejoong! Move! That girl would be his snack, he won’t bring her anywhere but his bloody stomach. 

… I am ing scared and can’t move as if I’m glued on the spot. 

I practically stayed on that position for a while.

“You did the right thing master.” I jumped my heads off with that sudden voice. 

The ghost girl looked at me expressionless as I glared at her. “You scared the hell out of me!"

“You can’t do anything against a level D as you are now…” She added ignoring my previous words.

“What are you saying?”

“That one is a Class D demon…”

“Wait--- I thought there are rules to never attack humans?”

“Not every demon agrees to that rule master like you humans do…”

“But what about---“ 

“Don’t worry, the girl is breathing… He has absorbed apart of her soul but she’ll live… and the council would take care of it, master… What I need you to do is keep low while you’re on this campus…”

“What do you mean?”

“As you have observe I can’t protect you, I can only hide your aura through the mist…. I can’t counter anyone if anything happens... I can only control the mist to mask your aura…. Aura can be sensed even from a great distance by a demon, one should learn how to hide it especially someone who has high amount and not just any usual aura like yourself... You will attract a lot of monsters when you are exposed… so does the council, they will not rest... not to mention--…”

“Not to mention what?” My brows furrowed. “And what do you mean about a council?”

She only looked at me for seconds. “The council is composed of higher demons… That's the only thing I could say to master.” She said ignoring my first question.

“I don’t know if I can keep up with this… demons… monsters…council--! What's next?"

There was no answer and it goes without saying that she left me again with more questions unanswered....

 

 

a/n: Haha. I disappeared for like a year--but hey! I'm back! Even though I couldn't promise an update this week but... I'll be working on this real hard on october.. ;D Hopefully I can finish this!