Four

Half Dark

 

 

 

I screamed ‘til I cannot longer breath. I panted as I felt the coldness surround me—hell, even my sweat feels cold. Am I hallucinating? Yes, maybe—I looked at the mirror again—or maybe…. NOT.

The girl on the ceiling—to my horror—was smiling at me. She looks like a child who have been served an ice cream except—she was no human—because last time I check, humans can’t do upside down. Her grayish face behind her long black (wet?) hair was—seriously, Kim Jaejoong? Aren’t you supposed to run on situation like this?

But my feet felt like it’s been planted on the floor. For KJJ sake! I can’t even move them! Nice… And I only notice this now? !—mind you, I maybe a lot but I don’t like horror.

“Hello…” She smiled widely showing me her black set of teeth.

“—H—hi?” I am bathing on my sweat.

She inched towards me—crawling on the ceiling. I felt my cold sweat flowing like droplets of rain on my face.

“P—please stop!” I cracked a weird smile as she looked at me. Did I annoy her? Great Kim! You’re so great I could bash you! “U—uh… I j-just—I smell bad so...You know… you shouldn’t come closer…” I could feel my mouth twitching even my voice as I randomly sniff myself.

I could maybe describe this as she furrowing her eyebrows except that she doesn’t have eyebrows.

Her blackish lips move but I didn’t hear a sound as the door banged open. The metal door spilled three teachers; one of them is the sumo wrestler, Mr. Park on his baggy jeans and T-shirt which is printed with hello kitty.

They look at me in confusion like saying what are you doing here Mr. Kim? I’m tempted to say what do you think but I stopped myself.

“We heard a scream…” Said one of the teachers I recognized as the one who was rumored to be caught kissing a student.

“You screamed?” Mr. Park asked while his eyes glanced on where the girl was and in that instant I turned, remembering my upside down friend.

“S-she’s there!” My voice sounded like it has been crushed not to mention I was trembling like crazy.

They look at me weirdly. For KJJ’s sake! Don’t tell me that they don’t know what I’m talking about?

“Can’t you see her?” I demanded desperately.

“What are you talking about Mr. Kim?” The lady teacher looked at me suspiciously. The other one looked around first and turn back to me as if to say those deadly words I’m thinking.

Silence filled the room and as second passed, I just can tell from the look on their faces what they’re about to say and it made me grit my teeth from anger but before I could say anything, Mr. Park interrupted.

“I think you’re just imagining things Jaejoong… Go to your next class…”

I calmed myself. My fear long forgotten as it was replaced by a feeling I am familiar with. I harshly bent and slump my bag on my shoulder. Before I could walk away from the place though, I heard them murmur.

“Believe me, he’s on drugs.”

“I have known from the start that he was no good.”

I continue walking. It was better for me to just ignore it. I have known for long that I could not make people stop from thinking what they want to think. Just like that, I learned to pretend I can’t hear a thing.

My life is full of holes—each time I have the feeling that I could live through it, another hole comes blocking my way and—

“Rude.....” It made me scream. “Why are you always screaming...?” ! I have forgotten her!

The girl looked at me—if her upside down ninja moves made me jelly. Now, I’m positive I peed on my pants because she was face to face with me.

Yes. Kim Jaejoong has the freaking bloody time to stand and be speechless looking at the girl who happens to have the biggest similarity with the ghost on the grudge.

“I don’t understand them…” She kept saying like it was the most normal thing to do. “The people you interact with… They don’t act like humans…”

My eyes blinked like I’ve been soaked by cold water. Suddenly, my limbs stopped from trembling.

“.......…” She smiled.

I was speechless—not because I was scared but because she speaks like any normal human does except that she would make you bath on your sweat… aaahh… Let me rephrase that. She was the first to point that out to me.

“How? You’ve been watching me?” She nodded and I felt terrified. Seriously—a ghost watching me?--that’s scary.

I shivered.

“You’re human… but you can see us...”

“Us?” And my eyes went wide. “What the hell?” Suddenly, the hall was filled with creatures—creatures which if this girl didn’t show up first—might have scared me to death. Actually, I’m frightened right now but not as much as I dream I would. Seriously, Jae! Why are you not running right now! Uh—if you didn’t realize I can barely move from this possession and you’re—making me run?

“You see… Human’s who can see us is quite rare especially at this time…”

“W-why?” Okay. Tell me I’m crazy now—me talking to this ghost is not possible!

“Because in the past, demons tend to devour them… Well… Human’s who have high spiritual power makes them more powerful…” ! Are you telling me that I am about to be these creature’s vegetable food?

“But don’t worry… It’s more unlikely because they can’t sense you—well, not this time…” She cheered.

“What?”

“—because of that.....” She pointed her grayish finger on my neck. “That necklace is designed to suppress something in you….but…” Her sleepy gaze looked up as if she had forgotten something.

“I can’t understand you…”

“—besides, that was the medieval times.... Demons are more organize now…. They can’t kill more easily now because of rules.” –the hell is this girl saying? I stood more confused than ever.

“—more importantly…” She turned, her facial expression turned to something you can call as serious. “I’m the guardian who was been tied to you by your mother… She made a contract with me to protect you from what’s to come—but as I can see it.” She looked at my neck. “The necklace can’t suppress who you are anymore… Day by day you become more powerful and it’s only days before the higher ups took notice of you and your—“

“Just wait!” I said desperately upon hearing the word mother. “My mother? What are you saying?”

“…” I looked at her blank eyes upon hearing that cold voice. “I can only hide you this long by my mist… I am not powerful enough…” She smiled. “Your mother’s measures have mistaken… And the necklace leaks your aura…”

My brows furrowed. I felt like humoring the situation but it seems like I can’t. It’s like my intuition is telling me to believe in this girl—that what she’s telling me is right but that made me more confused.

“I still couldn’t understand you…”

She smiled. “You will…” The smile faded. “I could feel so much strong force around… I want to say I’m sorry to Jean… It seems like I can’t fulfill her wish to hide you from your true self…”

“B—but…”

“You need not to speak… You will understand….” I blinked and the girl disappeared… leaving the words hanging on the air.

I looked around and the creatures I have seen before disappeared. What the ? Am I just hallucinating? Daydreaming?

Okay Jae! Calm down! Nothing happened! Breathe in… Breathe out…

I raised my face and started walking like there was no ghost girl---no creatures and nothing happened…

 

 

 

a/n: Sorry for not answering your questions. It's because it would be answered as the chapters are posted--so don't worry. ;D Thank you for the comments btw especially to Lily-eonnie ;D [I read your comments on my other fics, ty].