First impressions

When I'm With You

It was a fairly large campus, with over two thousand students. Jiyong felt claustrophobic already. He made his way to the student office, to collect his forms and select his classes. 

"Oh, you must be Kwon Jiyong? Is that right?" asked the secretary. She was an old and frail woman, and had trouble hearing as Jiyong assumed, seeing as though she almost shouted her question in the small office, which had way too many artificial pot plants.

"Uh yes, I just transferred"

Jiyong sat on the old brown couch, where he thought of all the old 'new' students who once sat there, waiting to begin their first days. He wondered if they’d been excited or if they’d been as unenthusiastic as he was at that moment.

"Ok, you’re all set darling, here is your timetable with your schedule for today. Your first class is Art in room B10" informed the secretary.

After thanking her, Jiyong walked to his destination, breathing in the crisp spring air, much different to the usual pollutants he inhaled. The school was very green, with hundreds of trees planted in spaces where people must have thought were too empty. 

B10, B10, how the hell am I supposed to find that? This school is huge.

Jiyong looked around him to see 4 different buildings neither of which had a clear indication of whether they were A, B, C, or D. Only then did he realise he hadn’t gotten a map of the school. He figured he’d have no choice but to try every building, seeing as classes had started and no one was around. Just as he turned to start with the first building he was suddenly pushed to the ground.
"Hey what the hell?!" Jiyong said.

"Oh, oh I'm so sorry let me help you, I didn’t see you there man" A short, friendly looking boy extended his arm, and after a two-second hesitation Jiyong took it. 

"Don’t worry about it, its fine" he exclaimed. As he was about to turn the other way in order to minimalise as much socialising as he possibly could, the boy decided to introduce himself, and he remembered he needed directions.

"I’m really sorry, I'm Youngbae by the way." his eye smile was one someone would be swept away with, but Jiyong was too busy staring at his feet to notice "I've never seen you around here, are you new?" 

Jiyong nodded and finally decided he should ask where art class was "I’m Jiyong, I just transferred here today, nice to meet you" he said. "Uh, I was wondering, can you tell me how to get here?" he asked, pointing to ‘period 1’ on his timetable.

"Oh yeah I'm going there now, I have art class too, let me see your timetable."

Jiyong handed it to him to which Youngbae laughed and went on to say that coincidentally they were in all the same classes with each other. Ok, that’s a start. I now have an acquaintance. He thought to himself.

He followed Youngbae to one of the smaller buildings and up two flights of stairs. Before him, finally, was B10, the art room. 

"Sorry we're later Ms Park, this is Jiyong. He’s the new kid that transferred" Youngbae explained.

"That's alright, take a seat" she replied. He took a seat next to Youngbae at the very back. "Ok everyone since it’s the first day and we have new students, I think everyone should introduce themselves briefly"

Oh great.

"We'll start with..." Oh no please. "Jiyong." Crap.

He decided he'd better get it over and done with if he wanted to go back into his corner and not exist. He stood up and walked to the front and took a deep breath.

"Ugh, hi, my name's Kwon Jiyong, and I transferred this year to go to a school closer to where I live."

"Is that all you want to say?" she smiled.

He laughed to himself, there wasn’t much more to say. Besides, no one was interested, so he nodded to Ms Parks’s question. After the other fifteen students introduced themselves, their introductions including their hobbies and random facts that would be of no use to him, Ms Park began explaining this year’s art course. They would begin with the history of art and its evolution starting with prehistoric art, till now. Jiyong liked art; he could say it was his favourite subject. It made him forget things, as he got lost in the endless creations he could possible come up with. 

Ms Park kept talking and Jiyong’s mind wondered off. He observed every student, starting with Youngbae, who was too busy making paper cranes to pay him any attention. His eyes drifted on to some of the girls in his class, they were pretty, and met the social beauty standards of his generation, he thought.

To his left he saw one boy staring out of the same window as him. He had dark hair, a strong jaw and fierce, intimidating eyes. He had a darker skin tone than most of the people in class. His hair was messy and ruffled. It didn’t appear as if he’d put effort into fixing it up, or maybe he was just going for the ‘i don’t care about my hair cause it looks y like this’ look. Jiyong obviously didn’t know him, but he looked...mean...and scary. Suddenly the boy turned to face him, and their eyes locked. Yes he was scary. But Jiyong couldn’t seem to look away, neither did the boy. Jiyong noticed his eyes were watering and he blinked, giving him the opportunity to face the front. Thirty seconds later he looked to the left again, to see the boy staring out of the window for brief moments, as he was sketching the view of what was outside the window, and to Jiyong it looked perfect. Jiyong realised he didn’t partake in the lovely class introductions.

Wait why did his heart just skip a beat?