Emptiness

When I'm With You

As he sat by the window sill, Jiyong watched the rain drops fall, childishly thinking to himself which drop would make it to the bottom of the pane first.

"Are you thirsty?" He asked.

"Yeah a little" replied Chaerin.

"Why does my only sister have to be sick, I mean I really wanted to bully you like other older brothers."

"It's not like it's my fault loser"

He poured a glass of water for his sister and watched her slowly down the glass, and drift off into a peaceful sleep. Jiyong never thought he'd be living this way. When he was a little boy he thought he'd always have his mother and father to protect him from the world. It certainly wasn't the case. He was now used to being alone. He had become accustomed to the darkness which surrounds him - that being the thought of both his parents leaving him and his only sister suffering from a horrible illness. He turned to the window again and watched the rain pour hard over the gray world. He loved the rain. 

It was 12 o'clock and Jiyong decided he'd better get home so he could get ready for school; he only had one year left, and he had to make it count.  He had to.

Not for him. 

For Chaerin. 

He kissed her forehead and promised her he'd be back after school, even though she didn't hear him through her slumber. As he rode a taxi back to the apartment he suddenly felt strange. Maybe it was just the nerves of starting his last year at a completely different school, where he of course knew no one. 

"It's ok, I'll be fine." He reassured himself. "Besides, I'm not going there to make friends."

He opened the door to the small, cramped apartment, and threw his jacket on the couch. After peering in to the empty fridge he decided he should sleep. He wasn't that hungry anyway. It was time for his thoughts to wonder, which was sometimes dangerous. He sometimes became consumed in his own thoughts, especially when he was alone, and it made him think of bad things, bad things that were the solutions to none of his problems. That's why Jiyong stayed away from a lot of people. He didn’t want them to be swept up in all of his emotions. So he usually liked being near one or two people. Just enough to keep his mind consumed with something other than ending it all. It wasn't that he was sad, he was just...empty...and he had no idea how to fill this emptiness with something useful. He turned to his side to look out of the apartment window, and drifted off to sleep as he watched the polluted sky shine.

Jiyong woke up to the sound of honking cars and the rustle of busy people. "It's time for school." he sighed. Now was the wrong time to realise he hadn't yet bought a school uniform, how embarrassing. Nevertheless he couldn't miss the first day, so grabbing an apple he rode his bike to the hospital, to check on Chaerin before he went. Upon entering the room the first thing he saw was that she'd thrown up on herself. Already knowing the routine, he clicked the button on the side of her bed to alert the nurses. 

"I'm so sorry, ugh oh my god" Chaerin always apologised, even though it'd been the nth time since this has happened.
"It's ok, its ok, this is normal" reassured a pretty nurse. "In a couple of days you'll be able to go home again!"


"Wow really?" she still wasn't used to the hospital, and being home with Jiyong was all she wanted "See what did I tell you, you're gonna be ok" smiled Jiyong

"I'm gonna go, call me if you need anything alright?"

"Have fun, and don't be weird...” Chaerin teased.

Weird. How to not be weird and awkward:
 STEP1: don't be Kwon Jiyong.