Chapter 1

Gotta Be Somebody

 

The library was a quiet and place, save for the occasional sound of seat scraping, tiny thuds made by dropped books, a couple of frustrated sighs and groans plus the constant shushing done by the old librarian herself with each noise. It was one of the few places where Rachel could really enjoy herself peacefully.
  Her eyes took in all the lines of the page. Lately, she had been doing a bit of a research to see if there was any legend or tales that could tell her more about her and her friends. It was clear to all three of them that neither of them could be counted as normal. Though they do try to blend in with the others. But so far, she's still curious on what or who they exactly are.
  A sudden gust of wind made her turn to see a hooded figure apologizing to the librarian, and quickly closed the door. A strange feeling crept up to her, but Rachel easily brushed it off and turned back to the book in her hand.
  It was pretty much useless since she's pretty sure she was never strapped to a chair in some lab and neither was she thrown into a pot of acid. She's also pretty sure she can't fly though there would be cool. Then, the book seemed to provide more infos on vampires and werewolves. How they react in the nightfall and to the bright sunlight. Maybe, just maybe, if they were all vampires, it would be easier. Stephanie wouldn't like being werewolves due to all the hair and fur. Hair balls would be a bigger problem than it is now.
  Rachel let out an unsatisfied hum, as she put back the book. She eyed all the other books but doubt they give her anymore relevant infos. She should really be getting to the groceries. But the small little library was just too tempting not to stop by. She took a step back from the shelf to see the other books, and bumped herself into someone.
  She turned to see it was the hooded figure earlier except he had taken of his hood, giving her a look on who he is. But her shyness took over and she bowed slightly, muttering an apology, before quickly getting out of the library. It was instinct really, for her, to just leave like that. Something she can't help, but this time something felt off. Maybe it was just her.
  Either ways, she needs to do the groceries now, if she's planning to make dinner.
 
***
  "I'm back!"
  "Did you get the ice cream?" Stephanie asked, from the living room. She quickly made her way over and searched through the grocery bags. "It's important that you did. Ice cream is important."
  "It's surprising you're not fat yet," Rachel said.
  "I heard ice cream," the curly haired Emily came bounding over. "I want ice cream!"
  "Later," Rachel said, grabbing the two tubs of ice cream and keeping it in the freezer. "Help me unpack the other things first."
  Stephanie let out and annoyed huff, but did as she was told. She took out the vegetables and made a face at the fish smell though it wasn't that strong. Emily busied herself with the bags full of snacks instead and emptied out a whole bag just to look for her favourite biscuits. She attempted to escape back to her room, when Rachel called her back in, not letting her off easily. She smiled sheepishly at the elder, but knew there was no point in trying to leave.
  A while later, Emily and Stephanie could be seen giggling at something that was on the TV screen. Koreans seem to have more variety shows than Americans, giving the girls real idols and celebrities to laugh at rather than just show characters. They were currently pitying a girl who was unfortunate to have a boyfriend who seem to enjoy scaring her with horror pictures. Emily shuddered at the the pictures shown, if she was dating a guy like that, they'd be over in less than a week.
  "Dinner," Rachel called out. She set out the dishes carefully on the table, satisfied. It took her a while to decide how to arrange them this time as to let the girls reach their food easily. She went to the kitchen, ready to clean up.
  Her eyes went to the bags left on the kitchen tables. Those girls, really, did they have to just leave it there? She sighed, and made her way to put away all the shopping bags. These were some of the few bags she could find which Emily won't burn so easily. As she was folding one of it in half, a small folded piece of paper fell to the floor. She frowned, remembering she had taken out the receipt earlier.
  She picked it up, and opened it to find a couple of symbols on it. Confused and unsure what to do with it, she merely stuffed it in her pocket and continued to keep the bags.
  She could hear Stephanie complaining about the glass being too hot, after Emily touching it. Rachel could sense an argument brewing when she heard Emily's retort and decided to step in before it could get worse.
 
***
  "I want to go out," Emily whined.
  "I don't know if that's a good idea," Rachel told her.
  "Why not?"
  "Well for starters, we're going to need a new carpet soon," Stephanie said, gesturing to a scorched part of the carpet. It had blackened and through it, you could see a bit of the floor underneath.
  "I didn't do it on purpose," Emily pouted. "I was just sitting on it."
  "Exactly."
  "Emily, until you figure out how to stop burning things randomly, you can't go out," Rachel told her. "It's too dangerous."
  The youngest of the three pouted, clearly unhappy. It wasn't her fault things seem to burn easily under her touch. She didn't like being cooped up, even if she knew it was for the best of others and herself. She won't like to be caught and blamed for burning things. But she also didn't like watching the world from the window or even the tv screen. It wasnt as thrilling as experiencing it first hand. The only time she was allowed to go out was at night where most people would be indoors or too high to care. It would be dark so even if she did burn something, no one would know it was her. But really, she's bored during the day, when her friends would be out to who knows where and she's all alone.
  "I want to go to the beach," she said, eyeing the TV screen where a group of friends seemed to be having fun.
  "Why? You can't even swim," Stephanie told her.
  Emily sighed, "Yeah, but there are other stuff to do right? Like volleyball."
  "Have you even played volleyball?" Stephanie asked, holding back a scoff.
  Ignoring her, Emily repeated, "I want to go the beach."
  Rachel sighed, knowing she won't let it go anytime soon.
  Emily looked at her hands and glared at them, it was their fault she was trapped in their own house. Why was she given such curse?
 
~~~
Tadaa! You like it? Took me a while. Sorry if this was a bore to you, but it's really just a filler. Just so you knows the boys don't come in until the fifth or sixth or maybe fourth, if you're lucky. But please be patient with me.