Final

Catch the Rebound
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

With the sun rising in the little Jong-Jong’s apartment, the boy jumps off his bed and heads towards the bathroom immediately to wash up and get dressed. This day is going to be awesome, and that’s because of two reasons: number one is that it’s his birthday, and number two, his Mommy and Daddy will take him to the amusement park.

That is why Jongmin is ready within minutes and hurries to the kitchen, where his mother is preparing breakfast. Noticing him entering the room, the boy hurries to his mommy and hugs her waist, his head resting against her tummy. Taehee, who’s leaned against the counter smiles sweetly and places a hand protectively on his back, while she pats his fluffy hair with her other hand.

“Good morning to you too, sunshine,” she then coos with a lovely voice.

“Mommy, when will Daddy pick us up?” Asks Jongmin with his brown eyes shining like two jewels.

Jongin has promised, weeks prior to his birthday to take them out on the 23rd of August, to celebrate this blissful day. And it’s no secret how excited Jongmin must be about this.

“He will arrive later, Minnie. It’s still early in the day, you know? You should eat first then thoroughly prepare yourself for this day.” The woman tells him gently, while placing a plate of fried eggs and some ham in front of the boy. While Jongmin eats, she continues to drink her coffee.

“Mommy,” he begins between munching and swallowing, “is it true you were alone when I was born?”

At his question, Taehee’s face darkens. This isn’t supposed to happen. This day should be filled with rainbows, unicorns and nyan cats. Just like at midnight, when Taehee went over to his room with a cutely decorated muffin, and a big candle singing ‘Happy Birthday’.

“Jongmin, what are you talking about?” She asks as she puts down her mug of coffee and steps over to the table, kneeling in front of Jongmin’s chair.

He turns around to face his mother. “Don’t you hate this day? Today was when Daddy abandoned us.”

Pain shoots through her heart, and the woman holds back a cry. How can her beloved Jongmin think of such things?

“Of course not, baby boy.” She says instead, as she caresses the side of his face. “This day, starting from ten years ago and for always, it will remain my most favourite day of the whole year. And that is because on this day, you’ve come into this world. On this day, you saved me, you opened my eyes. You, Park Jongmin, gave me a reason to live, after breaking down.” She shakes her head slowly. “So don’t ever say such words again. I might’ve let Jongin go, but instead, I got a hold of you.”

The little one is obviously touched by his mother’s kind words and he slides down the chair, only to wrap his arms around her neck. Taehee’s arms rest around him as well. She’s meant every word. Jongmin is a walking miracle, a light brighter than the sun. Jongmin has saved her three times, even before he was a part of this world.

And Taehee knows that she will never ever let go of him. Even if she were to fight against the world, her Minnie will be safe and sound.

“Alright, finish your breakfast and then we’ll pack what we need for the picnic.” The woman says softly, ushering her son to finish eating.

This year, his birthday is special, for it’s the first one with his biological father by his side. Last year it was Taemin, and before him Chanyeol. But nothing compares to the feeling of having both of his biological parents by his side.

So when Jongin finally shows up with his modest car to take them to the amusement park, Jongmin is thrilled. His father drives, her mother sits on the passenger’s side, while Jongmin follows them from behind. For how many times had he wished for such a scene to happen? Deep inside, spending a day with his two parents was all he ever wanted.

As promised, the ashy brown eyed man takes them to the amusement park, ready to try every ride possible with Jongmin. Taehee, who’s not a very big fan of extreme rides, decides to simply watch them from the sidelines.

“At least try the merry-go-round!” Father and son shout simultaneously, a few hours and lots of rides later, trying to convince Taehee.

She rolls her eyes at the similarity but gives in anyway. So she seats herself in a carriage, and the Jong-Jongs ride the horses.

“We are the Queen’s knights!” Jongmin shouts, and then turns back, grinning widely at his mother.

“All hail the Queen!” Jongin takes part in it.

Taehee chuckles at their cheesiness, finally realising who his boy takes after.

The ride begins, and so does the song, allowing Taehee time to follow the two boys. Jongmin is happy. He is very happy. And he should always stay this way.

They also goof around in a photo booth, as they take all sorts of pictures, one funnier than the previous one. Sometime in the afternoon, they drive off to the Han river, settling in the park, enjoying their picnic. Taehee has prepared a lot of food variety, and also a small cake with citrus and whipped cream – Jongmin’s favourite.

“Are you happy, Jong-Jong?” The ashy brown eyed man asks, as he glances at his son’s figure, happily eating his cake.

“Mhm.” He replies with a mouthful of food.

Taehee rolls her eyes and sips from her drink. “Chew and swal

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter