Thirty Minutes as a Cheater

The Mermaid Girl

It was when I got back in the car, grinning from ear to ear when it hit me.

 

I was cheating.

Right this moment, this second. I was two timing.

 

The fact brought a shock to myself, and I was left frozen, speechless.

How did you become like this, Sehun?

I had been in such an ideal world with an ideal life all this time. Nothing like this was supposed to happen.

But yet, it did.

 

Right then, I got a call. And of course it had to be Jiwon.

I hestitated before reluctantly picking up my phone.

"H-Hello?"

"Sehun! Where are you? Did you forget about dinner at my parent's place today?!"

I widened my eyes. Shoot.

"I... Uh...." I sighed. "Wait... Jiwon, before that, can you listen to me for a sec--"

"There's no time for anything right now, Sehun. Please get over here quick.... I really prepared a lot for this night, and I'm sure you did too. So let's do good today, okay?"

"No, wait, Jiwon--"

Beep. Beep. Beep.

I sighed again. Why, of all times, was a dinner with her parents today?

 

Great. Now I'll have to break it to her right after making a good impression on her parents.

I suddenly frowned.

Do I have to make a good impression? Her parents weren't going to be my future parents-in-laws anymore.

Rather, they were the parents of my future ex.

 

I sighed and bonked my forehead on the car wheel, groaning in frustration.

So this was how it felt like. To be in a bad situation. An actual problem.

But a problem means there will be a solution. The solution will end in happiness.

Which was much better than plain emptiness.

 

I took a deep breath.

Alright, Sehun. You can do it. You'll be happy in the end. All you have to do is go through a really, really hard day. Yoosol's waiting for you at the end of that day.

Yoosol.

She would be very, very dissappointed if she found out about Jiwon.

 

"What the heck... am I really cheating?!"

I shocked myself with the fact for the thousandth time.

 

The reality always was scary.

The fact that I never had actually loved Jiwon. The fact that mermaids existed. The fact that I had fallen in love with a mermaid.

The fact that I was actually going to end this half-hearted relationship with Jiwon after four years.

Well. It was half-hearted in my part.

 

It only took a few minutes to arrive in front of Jiwon's parent's house. I had been here many times before, and had always been treated warmly by her parents.

If for anything, the one thing I could admit I was actually good at was pleasing parents. I knew how their minds worked. I knew what tests to pass and what to say to questions about my past girlfriends and family background.

Jiwon's parents were friendly people. They had accepted me as a part of their family in an instant.

The question was... how would these friendly people react once I left this family.

 

"Sehun!"

I saw Jiwon right as I got out of my car. A queesy, bad feeling formed in my heart right away.

She quickly linked arms with me.

"Let's go! Uhmma and appa were just wondering where you were."

I stopped her with a sigh, causing her to look at me with confusion.

"Jiwon, we need to talk for a sec."

"Can it wait, though? Uhmma's really eager to cook for you today. If you come late, she might be a bit unhappy."

Something squeezed against my heart. I clenched my fists to keep from faltering.

"It's urgent. Really urgent." I said.

Her bright, energetic face fell when she saw my serious face.

".... What is it?"

I took a deep breath. I was going to do this.

 

"Jiwon, there's something I needed to tell you. Something I needed to tell you for a very long time."

--------------------------------------------------

She cried.

Me, Oh Sehun, had made Jiwon cry.

 

We were in my car, away from her parent's house. They had been informed that the dinner was to be cancelled. And obviously, neither one of them were too pleased.

 

And Jiwon....

It could've been better if she had actually broke down. It could've been better if she had actually really sobbed and yelled at me for being such a jerk. It could've been better, less hurting, if she had made a big deal out of it like what normal girls would do after their boyfriend announced a breakup because of another girl.

But instead, Jiwon had made an effort to hold it in. She had wiped her tears away after countless times of trying to blink them back. She had looked down at her shoes to hide the sadness and the hurt in her eyes.

I had sat there, speechless, having no idea what I was supposed to do in a situation like this. I couldn't comfort her. I had never loved her, and had lied to her, misleaded.

The only thing I could do was say sorry, and that was as good as giving a bald guy hair clips.

 

"I'm sorry, Jiwon."

It was completely silent. For a second, I actually thought she was going to lift her hand up and slap me.

"It's fine. Nothing can be done."

No. Please don't say that. Please don't give me this horrid feeling.

 

Jiwon looked up, lips pressed together.

"Who is she?"

Of course. Even Jiwon would ask. Anyone would.

"You don't know her."

"What's her name?"

"Jiwon..."

She sighed, and more tears fell.

"I just can't... I can't believe..." Her voice cracked.

I reached out to hug her. She moved away from me.

"Please don't do that, Sehun. You know better than that."

 

I knew of nothing. I was stupid. I didn't know what to do. How had I survived twenty one years without knowing what to do in this situation?

"I'm sorry, I really am.." I repeated pititfully.

"I get it. I really do, Sehun. You wouldn't be Oh Sehun if you weren't sorry."

I looked at her with sad eyes, wondering. If I felt like this, how would she feel?

 

Hurt. She would feel completely hurt.

 

Jiwon had actually loved me. Even I could see it.

Whenever I was with her, I knew that she formed a blissful look that I never could muster. No matter how hard I had tried, I had never understood how she could manage to always forgive my careless mistakes and flaws, taking care of me and always being by my side no matter what happened. She wouldn't have done that to another person. She would've only acted like that for me.

But, unfortunately, I would've done the same exact thing to Yoosol.

 

Jiwon left after getting cleaned up again, without another word. She needed some time alone, and I understood.

It took more than a long time for me to start the engine again, regaining the energy and mind to drive. What had happened just now was obviously a sad thing, and it wasn't going to get any happier in the next few days. Weeks, maybe.

Hopefully, it wasn't going to be a month. Hopefully, she was going to find another person. A person who would love her as equally as she loved him.

A person who would lighten up her life even more just like Yoosol did to mine.

 

Hopefully.