Is She a Mermaid?

The Mermaid Girl

It was what you would call... 'That moment when your body acted by itself.'

Because it did.

My legs carried me to my car right after classes ended, and my hands started the engine. I just started driving without hestitation. Not back home, nor to Jiwon's place.

To the beach. Yesterday's beach.

 

I was not one to change my mind suddenly when driving. If I started to go to one place, I would keep on going to that one place despite any reason. Making the U-turn or taking different routes confused me, and I considered driving safely a law in my life.

Which was how I ended up in same exact beach in the same exact place I had been yesterday.

I got out of the car in a daze. Because no matter how much I thought about it, why was I even here?

 

Nevertheless, I walked into the beach. There were almost no people, and it was much quieter than any other places I lived around. It had the same, cool, light breeze smelling of the fresh sea. The weather seemed to be tropical and cool at the same time.

It was the first time I had been here in the day time of day. So since the sun was far from setting, I walked past the sunset viewing spot, and headed deeper into the beach.

In no time, the bottom of my shoes were touching sand.

 

I continued walking slowly along the beach, watching the small waves of water move back and forth across the sand in the same, constant motion.

The beach was beautiful, and the view was amazing.

But this wasn't the reason I had come here.

 

As if on cue, I suddenly heard a sweet voice of a girl.

"Owie.... Stupid seashells on the seashore."

I widened my eyes and turned to look towards the voice. The same girl from yesterday.

Her long, familiar brown hair gave it away. Her complexion was the same, milky white skin from yesterday, and every bit of her seemed to be familiar.

The only thing that was different was the white shorts that had replaced the towel, which was a huge relief.

 

I quickly hid myself behind a huge boulder in the sand, poking my eyes out only to catch glimpses of the girl.

She was still facing her back towards me, sitting on the same rock from yesterday and groaning in pain. There seemed to be a small cut on her foot.

"Aish... This better not cause any problems.. Will it even show up in my tail?"

 

.... Excuse me?

Did she just say tail?

 

"Stupid, stupid, seashells! How do these humans not cry out in pain every step they take?!" She muttered.

I dropped my jaw, dumbfounded.

Uhh... Because we wear something called shoes?

 

I watched the girl sigh and wiggle her toes in the sand, still fitting the puzzle pieces together.

The mermaid-like figure from yesterday. This girl who was in the same exact place. Her wet hair. The way she said 'tail'. The way she said 'humans' as if they were foreign...

 

No way.

She was really a mermaid?

 

Shocked from the conclusion, I almost tripped over myself, causing me to bump the back of my head onto the boulder.

"Ow!"

I froze. Shoot.

 

Immediately, I heard soft, running footsteps in the sand come closer. Before I could make a ridiculous run for it so she couldn't see my face, the girl poked her head out.

We both widened our eyes for different reasons.

My jaw dropped before I could stop it, and I froze from head to toe.

Because this girl.... She was downright beautiful.

 

Oh, God, no, Oh Sehun! Think Jiwon. Kim Jiwon Kim Jiwon Kim Jiwon the beautiful Kim Jiwon Kim Jiwon--

 

The girl gasped.

"H-Human..." Her voice was soft, but I still heard it clearly.

Human? Why would a human call a human human?

 

Unless she wasn't a human.

And if she wasn't a human, then she was a creature living in the beach.

And if was a creature living in the beach...

She was a mermaid.

She really. Was. A mermaid.

 

".... Are you... Are you a mermaid?"

 

The girl widened her eyes.

"N-No, what are you talking about?!" She almost blurted out instantly.

I frowned, noticing her obviously-lying face expression. The girl was denying it.

 

I still couldn't believe it. Mermaids existed? Mermaids. MERpeople.

Here I was, in front of a girl who had a chance of being a mermaid.

 

"Then why'd you say 'tail'? And it's suspicious how you called me 'human'. Humans don't call humans humans." I accused.

She widened her eyes, shocked.

"I-I don't know what you're talking about.... Can't you see my legs?" She suddenly looked at me up and down. "Who are you anyways?!"

 

I crossed my arms and ignored her question, choosing to be stubborn.

"You're a mermaid. You form legs when out of the water and have a tail when inside water. Am I right?"

"W-What?! How'd you even--I mean.... What makes you say that?! You're obviously wrong."

I raised an eyebrow at her.

"Then why don't you go inside the water and prove to me?"

She scoffed.

"Excuse me?! I don't even know who you are, and you're telling me to get inside the water because you think I'm a mermaid?!"

"Yeah. I am." I replied. "Why? Can't you just go for a little swim if you're a human?"

"Yeah, but--"

"Then go." I reached for her wrist. She gasped and pulled away, as I had expected.

 

"W-Wait! I don't want to just get dunked in the water for no reason!" She gave an excuse and glared at me.

"And who are you to suddenly accuse me of being a mermaid?! Do you even know me?! Why are you even--AHHHHHH!"

I lifted her off the ground bridal style, stomping into the water.

 

"OH MY GOD WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!"

I ignored her small slaps against my chest and went deeper into the water, determined to figure this out. I finally stopped when the water was to my stomach, and the girl's legs were fully submerged under the water.

I looked down.

 

"... No way..."

 

My arm wasn't under a long pair of legs anymore. They were under a real, 100% fish's tail. A silverish, green scaled tale had replaced the girl's legs.

I looked at the girl with wide eyes, my jaw dropped. My clothes were obviously wet, and the tips of my hair had beads of the sea water.

But that didn't matter. Because there was a mermaid in my arms.

 

The girl was looking at me with an annoyed expression, panting from struggling so much. She quickly pulled out of my grasp and dove into the water, popping out again when she was a foot away from me.

She was floating on the water.

Because... because she was a fish.

 

I was still frozen in the same position, staring at her in utter schock. She rolled her eyes.

"Fine. You're right. I'm a mermaid. I have a tail when in water, and I turn into a human form when out of water."

She gave an angry huff and crossed her arms, looking at me.

 

"Now what are you going to do, huh?"

 

I stared at her for a few moments.

Because finally, finally, something interesting had come into my life.

Finally, my life possibly could be changed to be different.

 

I slowly broke into a smile, making her surprised.

"I've always wanted to be friends with a mermaid."