Track No. 6 - Almost

Semi-Charmed Life

“Is Yuri here yet?” Grace asked, looking a bit stressed by the sudden disappearance of Yuri. They still have to do a rehearsal especially because tonight will be Jessica’s first time to perform in front of a crowd.

“She said she’ll be back in a few minutes, unnie. Don’t worry,” Yoona assured.

“Oh, fine. Get on stage now. Hyung Suk said he can only give us 15 minutes to rehearse. Other bands are waiting.” Grace waved her hands, ordering them to hurry. Shaking her head, Hyoyeon led in going up on the small stage through the backstage.

Their instruments were already set up as they were set to be the first band to perform. It , Hyoyeon says. They always get to be the last if not second last performer before but now, it was as if they’re back to zero again. Fake Red, even though a band not known to many people, is at least one of the most known bands in the underground music scene. They were wanted and most importantly, respected.

“That Yuri sure likes to disappear every time.” Hyoyeon rolled her eyes, obviously displeased.

Sooyeon, who is new to the band, only knows little things about their leader. She doesn’t know how to react about the situation so she just decided to get into her position.

“Don’t worry. Hyoyeon’s naturally like that. She hates waiting,” Yoona said after tapping her. Sooyeon gave Yoona a small smile.

“She’s here.” Sooyoung used one of her drumsticks to point at Yuri who’s on her way upstage.

Yuri looks pleased. She was wearing a contented smile as she made her way.

“So, what did you do, huh?” Hyoyeon asked.

“Ah,” Yuri said, a bit surprised. She made a phone gesture and said, “Miyoung.”

“She coming?”

“She said she’ll try.”

Yuri was optimistic. She’s definitely looking forward to seeing Miyoung for tonight. Definitely.

“Alright, let’s start.” Hyoyeon said, seeing that Yuri’s lost in her little world that is now filled with imaginary scenarios.

The live show organizer said they’re scheduled to sing five songs for the night. Starting off with Triumph, the band started their rehearsal. A few people were present at the live house. There are the in-house sound engineers (although I’m not sure if they’re pro), some of the bands that will also be performing, a few stand-by personnel by the door, a janitor who’s currently sweeping the floor and that’s pretty much it. The live house is at its peak when it’s already nearing midnight and unfortunately, Fake Red will be performing around three hours earlier.

“Hey, Sooyeon-ah,” Yoona called after the first song. “You should’ve introduced our song during that instrumental part at the start.” Yoona smiled, trying to deliver her comment in the nicest way possible.

“You should try acting like you’re in front of the crowd. Try acting like you’re interacting with them. Make them sing if you want to,” Hyoyeon paused and shook her head. “Ah, no. I bet they can’t even recall our song anymore… Just… interact with them.”

“Just try to be yourself when you’re doing so,” a short comment came from Yuri.

Sooyeon bit her lower lip and nodded her head, signaling that she heard their words, although not clearly stating that she understood it.

“Yuri-yah!” shouted by one of the guys in the house. “One more minute!” He added and eyed the other band that is waiting for them to end. Yuri nodded politely.

“Seems like you won’t get to rehearse that one,” Yoona stated before Yuri could. “It should be fine though. Let’s go?”

Nervous. Sooyeon’s suddenly very nervous.

“Anything wrong?” Yoona asked.

“Nothing,” she assured weakly. “Nothing.”

When they went backstage, they saw another band waiting for them.

“So she’s your new vocalist, huh?” Seungri smiled at Sooyeon before looking at Yuri, signaling her to introduce him to Sooyeon.

“Ah, Sooyeon, this is Seungri,” Yuri said. “And Jiyong.” The guy nodded briefly. “Taeyang.” He smiled. “Daesung and Seunghyun.”

“Hello, we are Bigbang,” Taeyang introduced their band. “You have a wonderful voice.”

Sooyeon blushed because of the compliment. “Hello, I’m Sooyeon Jung,” she introduced herself first. “Thank you.”

“Aren’t you going to rehearse for later?” Sooyoung asked.

“No. Not anymore. We’ve been performing the same songs everyday anyway,” Jiyong answered.

“But the sound is not the always the same. You’ll never know.”

Sooyoung elbowed Hyoyeon.

“We’re going,” Sooyoung excused herself and her band mates.

“Oh yeah, sure.”

“We’re going first,” Yuri excused themselves again.

Sooyeon doesn’t know where they are going but she followed them anyway. In the end, she was lead to a small room with a table and a few chairs.

“This is the perk of being the only all-girl band,” Yoona said, taking a seat. “We get to have our own room.”

“Take a seat, Sooyeon-sshi.” Sooyoung pointed towards one of the chair as she chooses her own seat.

“What time will the show start?” Yuri asked.

Yoona pulled her sleeve and looked at her watch. “In about 30 minutes.”

“30 minutes, huh?”

“Yep.”

This is one of those times when Sooyeon feels left out. This silence is awkward for her but it was normal for her band mates. They’ve been through a lot and here she comes, suddenly getting the position of the vocalist. But she doesn’t want to regret it because this is what she wanted in the first place. So she just closed her eyes and tried singing as soft as she can to relax herself from all the tension that suddenly rushed inside her.

The room was filled with nothing but the soft hums coming from Sooyeon not until Yuri’s phone went off.

“Excuse me,” Yuri said as she takes the call, leaving the room in the process.

“I think I know who called,” Yoona said with her eyes closed.

“Who else?” Sooyoung shrugged. “Trust me, Miyoung will say she can’t come. If I’m the manager of a debuting girl group, I won’t allow any member to go to some crowded place with a not so good reputation.”

Sooyeon paused from singing right after Yuri’s phone rang. She didn’t bother getting into the conversation that happened after their leader went out for she only knows a little if not nothing about Miyoung and Yuri’s friendship anyway.

“She cares way too much for her Miyoung.”

“They’re still best friends after all, Hyo.”

The door was again opened and in came Yuri with a hidden frown.

“She said she can’t come. Her manager held her back saying they can’t risk anything especially now that teasers are out,” Yuri gave an unsolicited information.

“They should be looking for us already. Go now. I’d be there in a minute.”

They heed her orders and made their way to the stage. They still have at least 10 minutes before the show starts. The stage is still covered with curtains but they could hear people talking not far from them. People are now starting to get inside the live house.

“Just interact with them.  Try to enjoy the song,” Hyoyeon advised Sooyeon.

Sooyeon nodded and started breathing in deeply, now feeling her heart beating rapidly against her chest. Relax, she keeps on saying to herself but she just can’t. Suddenly, she started to hiccup.

“What’s that?” Yoona laughed softly. “Go backstage first and drink some water you can’t be performing in that condition. And tell Yuri to come here now too.”

“Oka-” Before Sooyeon could even finish her words, she hiccupped again.

Sooyeon hurried her way backstage but remembered she doesn’t know where to get water. Now, she has to go back or ask Yuri where she can find one. Asking Yuri seems to be the more logical option.

Opening the room, she saw Yuri tying her shoe lace.

“Yuri-ss-” She hiccupped. “Where can I find wat-” Again.

“Water?” Yuri stood up straight after tying her shoe lace. “You should’ve asked the guys backstage.”

“Ah is that s-” Another hiccup. “so, I’d just go and,” Sooyen turned her back.

“Hey wait!”

Sooyeon turned back to Yuri.

“Hold your breath.”

Sooyeon stood silent (not including that one single hiccup) as she digests Yuri’s words.

“To get rid of hiccup, hold your breath.” Yuri took a step closer to Sooyeon.

Sooyeon tried holding her breath but suddenly felt like she’s choking herself and so she stopped.

“I can’t. I’d just go ask for water,” she said with hiccups in between her words.

Sooyeon turned her back again only to get her wrist held by Yuri after getting pushed (although not harshly) to the wall.

A smile (smirk, actually) was seen in Yuri’s lips. “Are you sure you can’t hold your breath?” Yuri asked as she drew her face close to Sooyeon’s.

Sooyeon has her eyes wide open as she unconsciously holds her breath.

Yuri moved closer.

Sooyeon didn’t move.

And closer.

Sooyeon closed her eyes.

Silence.

Hold loosens.

Warm body next to her gone.

“See, your hiccup stopped.” Yuri smiled before looking at the door. “Let’s go. They’re waiting.”

 

 

 

 


[A/N:] It's been a while since I last updated this. Thank you for looking forward for my update and sorry if you're finding the progress of the story disappointing. Thank you for reading, subscribing, upvoting and commenting. Merry Christmas to everyone! Happy Holidays!