Track No. 2 - Establishing Rhythm

Semi-Charmed Life

She has been scribbling down on her notes since the class started. Contrary to what people think, she’s not paying attention and that what she is writing down has nothing to do with the class. She paused from writing and looked around her. She smiled for no apparent reason. Silently, she began observing her classmates. More than half of the class seems to be paying attention to their boring professor (who happens to be an actor, by the way) which she didn’t find unusual. They’re the ones who really want to pursue this career, she thought. Her eyes fell to a guy who is already sleeping on his desk. What a brave guy, she commented. She smiled to herself because she would like to sleep herself but she is ‘too good’ to do that. She hates it when they’re having this kind of class. Sure, she hates practicum too (for she has always been the shy kid) but she would rather that than this. She continued scribbling down some supposed to be lyrics on her notes. She pursed her lips and ever so inaudibly, hummed the tune of the song she’s writing. She was distracted by a tap on her shoulder. She looked at the girl who did so and before she could even ask anything, the girl had answered.

She tapped her desk with her pen, deciding if she should finish the song she’s writing before going out of their classroom. She’s afraid she’ll lose her grip on the song once she leave the room but after seeing her classmates leaving the classroom one by one, she heaved a deep sigh and decided to leave as well. She slung her bag on her shoulders and kept her notebook close to her chest before exiting. As if it was the most normal thing to happen, a number of her girl classmates went next to her. She actually hates this kind of crowd. She really does. But nonetheless, she kept a bright smile on her face and entertained her classmates. They are really nice to her but that doesn’t mean she’s oblivious to those fake pleasantries they are giving her.  It was all because she is the nice girl who doesn’t know how to reject others.

She bade her supposedly called friends goodbye reasoning that she has to go and meet her father. She wasn’t lying when she said that. In fact, she does not lie. If there’s one thing she hates the most that would be people who lies. That’s why she hates herself for being tolerant of the liars around her. She would even accuse herself as a liar every time she answers them, “It’s okay.”

She made her way to the university’s College of Music building where her father was. It was quite a long walk, for the College of Music building is separated from the other buildings. As she reaches nearer, she could feel the different ambiance the building gives off. She closed her eyes as she listens to a familiar piece—Chopin’s Piano Sonata No. 3. The tempo is wrong, she commented. She should know. She’s a bassist after all. And the sound vanished. She had concluded that the one playing the piano was stopped by her instructor. She smiled like always before opening her eyes. She saw a familiar figure making her way towards the building. She hates shouting so she resorted to running instead. When she was two meters away from her, she had finally decided to call the girl.

“Sooyeon-ssi,” she said. She stood up straight and pretended like she just saw Sooyeon randomly while making her way. The girl turned backwards to face her.

“Yoona-ssi,” she greeted. “Hello.”

“Which department are you from?” Yoona walked towards Sooyeon with a smile. “I didn’t know you’re taking up music.” Yoona thought that she phrased her words wrong when Sooyeon fell silent for the next second. “Not that I don’t think you can.” She immediately clarified.

“No. No. It’s okay,” Sooyeon brushed off the matter while waving her hands. “I’m not from the College of Music anyway. I was just here for,” Sooyeon picked a book from the files on her hands and showed it Yoona. “I think a professor dropped this book.”

Yoona smiled for she knows the owner of the book very well. She took the book from Sooyeon’s hand and opened it, looking for that particular signature. She smiled when she finally saw it at the bottom left corner of the last page. “It’s Professor Im’s.”

“Ohhh… You seem to know a lot of people, Yoona-ssi. I only know a few people in the university.”

“Ah, is that so?” Yoona said, not knowing whether to feel proud or shy.

“Are you somehow from the College of Music?” Sooyeon asked excitedly. “What’s your major?”

“No. I’m not from here,” Yoona clarified with a chuckle. “I was just… walking around. And it says Hyun Jeong Im here. Almost everyone here knows Mr. Im, don’t you?” Yoona smiled at the back of her mind after noticing Sooyeon’s naivety. She was, at least, expecting Sooyeon to remember that she is an Im. She had introduced herself to the girl the other night after all.

“I really don’t know him. By the way, Yoona-ssi, do you know where I can return his book?” Sooyeon asked innocently while looking around. Yoona contemplated whether she should offer to return the book to her father herself or she should tell Sooyeon that she can just drop it by the department’s Lost and Found center. Yoona chose the latter.

“Ah, Sooyeon-ssi,” Yoona said before they part ways. “You know we have a practice today, right?”

Sooyeon nodded and smiled. “Yes, why?”

“Wait for me. Let’s just go there together. Five minutes?”

“It’s okay. Take your time. I’ll be at the bench after I drop this by the Lost and Found.”

With that said, Yoona left to meet with her father. She kept her notebook on her bag first before going in. She entered her father’s office ever so quietly, not forgetting to knock before. Her father sent her a questioning glare so she smiled because that’s the only thing her father said she is best at. She walked towards her father and bowed to greet him politely. She saw how her father smiled back at her and it was one of the few times that she can see him do so.

“So, how does it feel living alone now, my princess?” her father asked. Yoona couldn’t help but be happy every time her father calls her ‘my princess’. It was one of the few things that never changed since her mother left them for another man.

“I missed you, dad,” Yoona confessed. Her father, who was busy checking his books, looked up at her and chuckled. He fully rested his back on his chair and removed his eyeglasses.

“What is it that you want, Yoona? You’re not sweet like that,” her father stated surely but a hint of gladness was seen in his eyes.

Yoona was nervous when her father called and told her to drop by. She doesn’t know whether her father has something to say to her again (well, obviously, he does but Yoona is thinking of something negative as always) or will her father give her monthly allowance. Yoona actually prayed it was the latter. Seeing that her father just called her to drop by to check on her, Yoona smiled (this time sincerely) and went towards her father’s chair to give him a back hug.

“Dad, you seem to be looking for something?” Yoona asked, perfectly knowing what’s happening.

“Yes. I think I lost one of my books.”

“Before going home, drop by the Lost and Found. My friend found it.”

Her father looked at her. “If your friend found it, why must you ask me to drop by the Lost and Found? You could’ve offered to return it to me instead.”

“Just…” Yoona paused. “Reasons.” Yoona giggled before pulling away from her father. She looked at her watch. “Dad, I still have to go to our practice today. I’m going now.” Yoona left a soft kiss on her father’s cheek before walking towards the door. Before she completely leaves, she looked back at her father and smiled cheerfully. “Tell oppa I miss him too. And oh, don’t forget about my allowance.” She giggled and left.

With a smile on her face, Yoona walked towards the bench where Sooyeon said she will be at. True to her words, Sooyeon was seating at the bench. Yoona noticed how her band’s new vocalist is tilting her head, as if falling asleep.

“Sooyeon-ssi?” Yoona said softly as she bends down to Sooyeon’s eye level. “Sooyeon-ssi?”

Sooyeon snapped out of her supposedly nap and acknowledged Yoona’s presence. “Yoona-ssi.” She immediately covered and wiped it, fearing that she might have drooled while she was sleeping.

“I see you’ve been waiting for a while now, huh. Let’s go?” Yoona suggested.

 

The nearest bus station is a long walk especially from the College of Music building. During the walk, Yoona decided to ask Sooyeon random things just because.

“So, what are you majoring at?”

“Me?” Sooyeon asked rather cheerfully. “English Literature. And you, Yoona-ssi?”

“Performing Arts,” Yoona answered. “Quite unexpected, huh?” she added after seeing Sooyeon’s amazed expression.

“Well, yeah. I’ve always thought you’re taking up something related to music. Was it your choice?”

“Yes, it was.” Yoona pursed her lips and convinced herself that she made the right choice when she chose her major. She did want to take up something music related but she wants to challenge herself and her father has always been supportive of her. She can always ask for her father’s guidance when it comes to music anyway.

“Uh, Yoona-ssi,” Sooyeon said hesitantly.

“Yes?”

“Nothing.”

“Come on, Sooyeon-ssi. Just ask me. We’re from the same band now after all,” Yoona assured.

“It’s just that,” Sooyeon paused, stopped walking and turned to look at Yoona who is beside her. “I’m nervous for today. I practiced by myself yesterday but… I don’t know. I hope I’d do well with the song,” she continued.

“You worry too much, Sooyeon-ssi. Yuri will go easy on you.” Yoona remembered what happened to their past vocalists. “Or so I hope.” Yoona chuckled which didn’t help the situation Sooyeon is in. They continued walking.

“You’re making me even more nervous.” Sooyeon brought her closed fist near and pressed the back of her thumb on her lips. Yoona made a mental note of that peculiar action. She had seen that before from someone who is really familiar. Interesting, Yoona thought.

“Not to mention Yuri wrote that song herself,” Yoona teasingly added.

“Yuri-ssi did?” Sooyeon exclaimed.

“Well, who do you think writes our songs if it wasn’t that girl?”

“Oh,” she said. “I really don’t know you guys well yet. So Yuri-ssi writes your songs, huh?”

“Almost all of it, yes. But other members write songs too from time to time.”

“So you do write too, Yoona-ssi,” Sooyeon smiled and looked at Yoona once again.

“I do, sometimes,” Yoona admitted. “But that’s not my function in Fake Red. Writing songs and all, that’s Yuri. I’m just the bassist. If I ever write songs, I’d still need Yuri’s approval before we could perform it. And if she did, she still needs to do some re-arrangements. I’m telling you that one’s a natural born musician.”

“You seem to be giving Yuri-ssi a lot of praises,” Sooyeon concluded.

“Because she deserves it. When you get to know her more, you’ll find out how awesome she is.”

“And you, Yoona-ssi?”

Yoona turned to look at Sooyeon. “Are you asking what about me is awesome?”

“Well,” Sooyeon paused to think of a proper response. “I guess?”

“You’ll know when you get to know me more.”

“But isn’t it the bassist who’s in charge of the rhythm? That’s awesome,” Sooyeon said sincerely.

“Yeah, I think.” Yoona looked ahead and smiled. “The bus is coming.”

 

 

 


[A/N:] Each character has a story to tell and it's my job to give them a chance. :)

 

Fake Red with Sooyeon as the vocalist will be having their first practice on the next chapter. lalalala

 

Yuri, done. Yoona, done. Who's next?

 

/and I'm sorry for whatever mistakes, okay? :)/

 

Perhaps another update this weekend. /depends because concert tonight, might be spazzing all day long XD/

 

*it actually feels weird to use Jessica's Korean name but everything has a reason so... XD

 

And oh, subscribers... Thanks! :)