Track No. 3 - By A New Voice

Semi-Charmed Life

The small room was occupied by four girls; Yuri, Sooyoung, Hyoyeon and Grace. The three band members are already warming up when the bassist and the vocalist came while Grace is fiddling with her phone exchanging messages with her boyfriend, maybe. Yoona and Sooyeon were talking to each other and giggles were heard as they enter the room. The people inside the room looked at them questionably, Yuri most especially. It really bothers her why Yoona always gets close to new vocalists but later be overly critical during practices. But Yuri kept that observation to herself, for Yoona is naturally friendly and that she doesn’t know how to reject anyone.

“I didn’t know you guys are close,” commented Hyoyeon.

“Oh, we are not.” Yoona giggled after. She went to her bass guitar, which she left the other night. When she was asked she reveals that it’s too heavy, I don’t want to carry it to uni anymore my classmates nearly break it one time how I hate it when they did that.

“I just saw her in the uni so I offered going here together. But isn’t it nice if we get close to her? I mean, we’re a band now after all.”

Yuri is just there, silently observing Yoona’s actions. Observing, not judging. For Yoona has always been the most genuine hearted girl she has ever known if not her. She shook her head and felt the strings of her guitar. She wants to play it so bad.

“I didn’t say anything about not being close with Sooyeon-ssi,” Hyoyeon rolled her eyes and remembered Sooyeon’s presence. “Oh by the way, Sooyeon-ssi, have you practice this song beforehand? We can play it first before so you could get the,” Hyoyeon paused momentarily. “Feel.”

“Can we do that, Hyoyeon-ssi?”

“Of course,” Yuri answered nonchalantly. “Try singing the first verse. Triumph, right?” Yuri wants to sound friendly, she really does. But Yuri was never the cheerful type, or maybe she was, once, but that was a long time ago. She looked back at Sooyeon. She smiled. Sure, she did. For that’s her mask.

Sooyeon positioned herself at the center and brought the microphone near .

“Ready?” said Yoona. Sooyeon nodded.

Grace kept her phone to her pocket and focused her attention to Fake Red. The instruments have started playing in harmony. Fake Red is once again alive.

 

There’s no need for you to brag your win

For today, I’ll show you who really won the game

                                                                              

All the things in your hands will soon be mine

Move now

Run, for I will get those things

Everything that you have now will soon be mine

 

Yuri closed her eyes as she familiarizes with the new voice of her words. Suddenly, she didn’t care about the harmony nor if the others are doing their part right. All that matters now is the new voice and she refuses to hear anything but that voice.

 

Yes, you’ve seen me cry

Yes, you’ve seen me knelt

But that is just a prelude to my success

For I cried to show my pain

For I knelt to stand up after

 

No matter how this day goes

Even when the fate goes against me

I believe in one thing

I believe in myself

It doesn’t matter who won yesterday

I will win today and I will never let you win again

 

The others concentrated and all of them get immersed to their music which they haven’t created for a while now. Sooyeon was, at first, nervous but now that she’s passed the first chorus, she had gained confidence. A little bit more. Just a little bit more.

 

My heart never goes weak

It doesn’t matter if you are holding a sword

I will fight

 

That was one surprising blow

 But I will not falter

You don’t have to show me your strength

For I know your weakness

 

Yuri leaned towards the mic stand as she provides the second voice. It was one of the things that Yuri enjoys doing the most—singing that is. She was never the best singer, she admits, but she can at the very least. The advantage is that they’re a band and hitting high notes is not necessarily needed for someone who only provides second voice.

               

Stop acting like you won

Accept your defeat and withdraw your sword

 

No matter how this day goes

Even when the fate goes against me

I believe in one thing

I believe in myself

It doesn’t matter who won yesterday

I won today and I will never let you win again

 

This is real

You are not dreaming

I have conquered you

This is my victory

This is my triumph

 

And the music slowly fades away. Sooyeon looked at her band mates, Yuri in particular. She’s waiting for her judgment. Sooyoung had made the last sound and it finally ended. No one looks tired and their eyes show how much they wanted to keep on playing. Grace pursed her lips, waiting for Yuri’s judgment as well. Even though Grace is the manager, she never once meddled on Fake Red’s music. She has given advices, yes, but she never pushed for it to happen. Grace has prepared herself for rejection for Fake Red is the sole responsible for their music and she never thought of changing that for her own satisfaction.

“You were off tune for many times,” Yuri said. She was looking down and is stretching her fingers. “Your pitch is too high for some parts just like the chorus.” Yuri looked at Sooyeon. “And if you can thicken your voice please. The genre is rock. We’re not singing church songs.”

“I understand,” Sooyeon said.

“You better.” Yuri started feeling her guitar and looked back at Sooyoung. “From the top,” Yuri announced.

Grace smiled upon seeing that Fake Red is once again making music. The look in their faces while they perform their own tasks and that look from the girl in the center, it was those looks she has been longing to see.

“Sooyeon, thicken your voice,” Yuri reminded when she abruptly paused in the middle of the song. “And if you can, a little huskier. Somewhat like this.” Yuri played her guitar.

No matter how this day goes

Even when the fate goes against me

I believe in one thing

I believe in myself

“I know you can do better than that,” Yuri said. “There’s no need for you,” she signaled and they started playing once again.

They concentrated on that song alone for the next 45 minutes until Yuri called for a break. They were tired however; the satisfactory feeling they have after playing matters the most.

“We’ll start again in 10 minutes,” Yuri said after putting her guitar down. “And Sooyeon,” she said. “Please take note of the points I’m telling you to improve on. You keep on doing it your way no matter how many times you say you understood what I said.”

“I’m so sorry for the trouble.” Sooyeon bowed but Yuri wasn’t looking anymore for she had grabbed her jacket and made her way outside.

“Sooyeon-ssi, don’t worry. You did well,” said Hyoyeon. “She did. Right, Sooyoung?”

Sooyoung immediately looked towards Hyoyeon and Sooyeon and nodded repeatedly. “Yes. Yeah. You did well.” She smiled to the new vocalist.

“Thank you but I am still lacking. Please guide me.”

“You’re still off tune at some parts but I can see you improving.” Yoona bent down and grabbed one of the bottles of water on the floor that Grace had provided them. “If you were to ask me, what you need to improve more is your confidence. Don’t feel shy. You know the good thing about music is that you can use it to express yourself,” said Yoona.

“She’s right,” Grace agreed.

Yoona bent down once again and grabbed another bottle of water.

“I think Yuri needs this.” Yoona shook the other bottle in the air and smiled.

She went out of Grace’s music room and followed Yuri outside. It was already dark outside with a single lamp post providing light for the area. If wasn’t for the light that Yuri’s lit cigarette made, Yoona would’ve trouble looking for her whereabouts. Yoona walked towards Yuri and tapped her using the bottom of the bottle.

“Yul,” she said.

Yuri was shocked and she choked while smoking.

Yuri coughed. “What was that Yoona?”

“What?” Yoona laughed dryly and handed the bottle of water to Yuri. “Here. You should drink first before hitting that thing.” Yoona eyed Yuri’s cigarette which is situated in between her fingers. Yuri accepted the bottle of water.

“Cigarette makes me feel better than water,” Yuri said. She smoked her cigarette first before throwing in on the floor. Facing Yoona, she blew the smoke on her face.

“Hey!” Yoona used her hand to fan the smoke away from her face.

Yuri laughed softly and opened the bottle of water. “So, what do you think of Sooyeon?” Yuri drank from the bottle of water as she waits for Yoona’s response.

“Does my opinion really matter to you?” said Yoona with a laugh. It was said as a joke but Yoona really mean her question.

“Of course, it matters to me,” Yuri said. “You know how I always value your opinions.”

“Well, she’s got a unique voice,” Yoona pointed out first.

“Yeah. I noticed.”

“She still feels shy.”

“Uh huh.”

“And that she doesn’t need to make her voice huskier for the song and for the band in general.”

Yoona’s last words earned her silence from Yuri. Yuri looked at her pensively.

“We’re a band not a choir,” Yuri said, challenging Yoona.

Yoona didn’t answer immediately but she did anyway.

“And she’s Sooyeon not-”

“Stop,” Yuri said, forcing herself not to raise her voice. “Go inside now. I’ll be there after I finish another stick.”

“Sure, sure. Beware of the bad men,” Yoona joked.

“You mean they should beware of me, right?”

“Whatever you say, Yul. I’m going in. Make it fast.”

Yuri half-emptied the bottle before throwing it at the bin near her. She brought out her pack of cigarette and took a single stick. She put the cigarette on , trapped it in between her lips, and feels the lighter on her jacket’s pocket. She took it out and lit her cigarette.

Cigarette smoking is bad for your health, Yuri. You should stop smoking.

She smiled bitterly after recalling a reminder she had listened to before. She tapped the ashes off her cigarette and smoked once more. She was close to finishing her current stick but she still feels unsatisfied. When she finished smoking her supposedly last stick, she took out another one.

She wasn’t lying when she said she values Yoona’s opinions. In fact, even when she still ends up right in the end, she admits that a lot of points from Yoona’s argument are right as well. She thinks and thinks. For Yoona was never the biased type of person and that her opinions are always exactly as what she thinks is right. She admits she’s biased that’s why she needs Yoona’s honest opinions.

“Yuri-ssi,” someone called her.

“Oh, Sooyeon.”

“You smoke?”

Yuri took the cigarette off and looked at it. “Well, this looks like a cigarette. So yeah, I think I smoke. Do you have a problem with that?”

“Ah. No. No!” Sooyeon immediately denied. “I was just shocked to see you smoking.”

“Oh, so why are you here?”

“Oh yes.” Sooyeon almost panicked as she hands Yuri’s hand phone. “Someone’s calling for a while now so I volunteered to bring it to you.”

Yuri took her phone and raised it. “Yeah, thanks for this. I’ll be back after a minute. Tell them to prepare. You too.”

“I understand.”

Sooyeon made her way inside and Yuri watched her as she walks. Finishing off her cigarette, she looked at her phone.

5 missed calls

2 new messages

She opened her messages and smiled upon seeing the sender’s name and her message.

From: Miyoungie

Yuri-yah, let’s meet tomorrow at my favorite café. 3PM. I have something to give you. You’ll go, right? I miss you.

She opened the other message.

From: Miyoungie

You will surely come, right? I know you will. Yuri-yah, you know how much I miss you, right? You miss me too, right? So, you would definitely go tomorrow. I’ll see you tomorrow. :)

She put her phone on her pocket and upon feeling the pack of cigarette in the same pocket; she took it and throw it at the same trash bin where she threw her bottle of water.

“Cigarette smoking is bad for your health, Yuri,” said Yuri, mimicking Miyoung’s voice.

 Humming her favorite song, she made her way inside with a smile seen for the first time in a while.

 

 

 

 

 


[A/N:] 70 subscribers. Thanks. :)

lalalalalalalala~