Track No. 4 - Bread, Necklace and Coffee

Semi-Charmed Life

Consecutive loud knocks on her door snapped Yuri out of her sleep. She took her pillow from the back of her head and tried to cover her ears but the knocks didn’t stop bothering her supposedly peaceful sleep. She groaned and rolled her eyes. How the hell can she still hear those knocks when she’s inside her room? Oh, she remembers. Her place is small. She shut her eyes close, hoping that the landlady will get tired and leave eventually but she was wrong. She swears she wanted to knock her landlady to sleep as soon as she opens the door.

“Yuri, your payment for the past three months is due today!” came the loud morning greeting of an old woman who’s probably on her early 50’s.

“Oh, Mrs. Lee. Good morning,” greeted Yuri with a smile.

“What’s good in the morning? Yuri Kwon, you should know that I’ve been giving you a lot of consideration but three months is too much.”

“Mrs. Lee, you know I always pay on time for the past year. I’ll pay later, okay? Don’t worry.”

“Later, huh? You better or I’ll push you out of your place. I’m sorry Yuri but I need money too. We’re all poor here.” The old landlady left after giving her final threat to Yuri. Yuri heaved a deep sigh and closed the door.

She looked around her room and saw its poor state. She thought of cleaning up but she’s too tired to do so, so she just closed one eye on what she saw and plopped herself belly first on the not so soft mattress.

Last night was tiring, she recalls. They practiced until it was 10 o’clock in the evening but none of them complained, not even Sooyoung who always complains first saying please, aren’t we going home yet I am so hungry already Yuri please let’s stop now I’d work harder tomorrow please.

Yoona nudged her one time when they have their second break whispering hey, you look happy who called you huh Miyoung right she called you at last huh huh. She laughed at the way Yoona but she didn’t deny nor confirm anything. For all she knows, Miyoung might cancel their meeting again but she’s happy nonetheless. Miyoung called and she failed to answer. She tried calling her again but Miyoung’s out of reach already.

She stopped being critical towards Sooyeon for the rest of the night. They even practiced another song after Triumph. She’s still not satisfied but she let it slide thinking that it was Sooyeon’s first practice with them after all. She felt sleepy and she gave in to her bed’s invitation of sleeping again completely forgetting about her financial problems (well, not really).

Yuri woke up two hours before meeting Miyoung. She hasn’t eaten breakfast or lunch yet but she could care less as she hurries her way towards her small bath room with her towel hanging around her neck. She has forgotten when the last time she got this excited meeting someone was and if she remembers right, that last time would’ve been that cancelled meeting with Miyoung as well. Miyoung, Miyoung, Miyoung. Everything about her make Yuri forgets about her wall of defense she has established long ago. Only Miyoung, just her, can get through Yuri, can talk to her without any reservation on Yuri’s part, can make her go weak… only Miyoung, just her.

She had left her room, not forgetting to lock it beforehand. Spring is coming but she could care less as she is currently sporting black jeans, V-neck white shirt, her favorite leather jacket and her only sneakers. She is now hungry. She can feel it and her stomach agreed by making a growling sound. Before riding the bus, Yuri dropped by a bakery and bought two pieces of bread for breakfast and for lunch as well. Yuri had her phone on her hand expecting a call from her friend whom she will meet before Miyoung. As she steps down the bus, she saw her friend waiting for her already.

“Seungri,” she said as she nears the guy. The guy kept his phone and acknowledged Yuri’s presence.

“Yo!”

“I’m sorry for the bother really,” Yuri immediately said. “You know how we stopped our performances for the past months.”

“It’s okay,” said Seungri. “I remember when you did the same when it was I who’s in need. Here’s what you’re borrowing.”

“Thanks, really.” Yuri accepted the cash that Seungri handed her. “I’ll pay you once we start performing again.”

“And when is that? I’ve heard you still have no vocalist after you chased that Chinese girl away.”

“I didn’t chase Victoria away,” Yuri immediately denied. “And we’ve got a new vocalist now. We’ll be back soon, Ri. Maybe we’ll get some of your schedules, you scared?”

“Very.” He chuckled. “I still have to meet with Youngbae now. You know how he always wants to show off? Well, he’s got his new guitar just now.”

“Already?” Yuri expressed her amazement. “Wow, finally. Tell him I’d like to try playing it to. Bet it’ll sound better in my hands.”

“Yeah. I bet on that too. I’m going now. See you performing soon and don’t forget to introduce me that new vocalist, okay?” He winked flirtatiously before tapping Yuri’s shoulder, signaling that he’s going.

“Will do for sure. Thanks for this really.”

“No need for thanks!” He shouted before speeding off towards the opposite direction Yuri is going to.

Seungri is one of the members of another band, BIGBANG. They often meet when they get invited to play at the same event which happens many times. Also, they are very good friends with Yuri. Yuri kept the money on her wallet before walking once more. Glancing by the stores on her side, a displayed necklace caught her attention. To buy or not to buy, she contemplated. In the end, she did. Taking some (a lot actually) from her supposedly house fee from her wallet, she paid for the necklace which she had instructed for the worker to gift wrapped. Keeping it on her jacket’s inside pocket, she walks towards their rendezvous.

Yuri took a quick glance on her phone to check the time for she’s got no watch on her wrist right now. It will be 3PM in 5 minutes but it’s okay. She’s not even early anyway. She imagines how this day will go. After eating, she’ll ask Miyoung to watch movies with her and if they still have time, maybe ask her to go to the arcade with her. Who knows? She might invite Miyoung to her place tonight for a ‘catching-up’ session. Then she recalls how dirty and small her place was, so she removed the last scenario in her head for her plans that day even though Miyoung is well aware of her place’s situation. She didn’t notice that a good 20 minutes has passed by as she was patiently waiting. And there it comes, a familiar tapped on her right shoulder that signaled Miyoung’s presence.

“Phew,” Miyoung said as she pokes Yuri’s cheeks.

Yuri swears she almost didn’t recognize her. Even though Miyoung’s wearing a cap, her dyed hair can still be seen. Yuri remembers when Miyoung said she doesn’t like dyeing her hair but here she is, standing in front of her with hair dyed blonde. She noticed that Miyoung’s also wearing light make-up that day. She dressed differently today, Yuri pointed out. And as usual, she came with a backpack. Yuri can only thank her knowledge about Miyoung’s habit of poking her cheeks and of course, that smile. Yuri can never forget that smile for only Miyoung has that smile, she believes.

“Miyoung-ah.”

“Hello, have you been waiting for long?” Miyoung took the seat opposite to Yuri. “I’m sorry I was just-”

“It’s okay.” Yuri called for the waiter and he came almost immediately.

“So, are you taking the usual?” Yuri asked while scanning through the menu. She knew what to order even before opening the menu but what she’s checking is the price (it might’ve gotten more expensive for all she knows).

“Yep,” Miyoung said. “Except no cake for today. You know how I should avoid those.”

Miyoung and Yuri gave their orders and continued chatting.

“So, how are you?” asked Miyoung.

“I should be the one asking you that.” Yuri chuckled. “How are you?”

Miyoung giggled.

“Do you know why I called to meet you today?” she said excitedly. “We’re recording our debut album! I’m going to debut Yuri. I’m so happy and excited. Oh my god.”

“Oh,” Yuri said disappointingly but remembered to smile. “Finally.”

“Yes. Finally, indeed.” Miyoung pouted and puffed her cheeks. “You look unhappy though.”

“I am happy for you.”

“Uh-huh? Then why the sad face huh?”

“What sad face are you saying?” Yuri was smiling then so she doesn’t know why Miyoung accused her of being unhappy. Or maybe she knows why. It’s Miyoung after all.

“I just thought you’ll get busier. You haven’t even debuted and yet you rarely call plus you’re always out of reach,” Yuri confessed.

“Oh~” Miyoung giggled. “So you miss me, huh?”

“Now you’re asking me that question. Of course.”

The waiter had come with their orders and so they stopped from talking. Yuri saw how the waiter tried to flirt with Miyoung and so she forced a cough, chasing the waiter away. Miyoung looked at Yuri and smiled teasingly.

“What?” Yuri said, annoyed.

“Still protective over me, huh?”

“Assume what you want. I’m not confirming anything.” Yuri brought her caffe latte near her lips and tasted it.

“Ooo…” Miyoung pressed her lips together and waited for Yuri to finish tasting her latte. “So what are you going to do once I debut? Are you going to cough my fanboys away too?”

Yuri looked at Miyoung weirdly and raised a judging brow.

“You won’t have any fanboys anyway. You’re annoying.” Yuri chuckled.

“I am annoying,” Miyoung repeated. “Then I wonder why you keep sticking with me for the past 17 years?”

“I don’t know too,” Yuri shrugged. “Maybe I like annoying people or maybe because it is her who keeps on sticking with me and not me with her? You choose.”

“Ouch. That hurts.” Miyoung pouted childishly. “Am I really annoying?”

“Really annoying,” Yuri emphasized.

“Fuuu~ But you still like me, right? Right? Right?”

“Very much.”

“That’s what I want to hear.”

Miyoung finally touched her ordered caffe latte. She immediately put it down after briefly tasting it not because it tastes awful but rather because she remembered to ask something to Yuri. “How’s Fake Red doing? Still haven’t replaced Victoria yet? You know I can recommend someone from the com-”

“We’re doing fine,” Yuri cut her off. “We’ve found a new vocalist just recently.”

“Oh,” came Miyoung’s response. “So, how is she? I mean, does she sing well?”

“She does,” Yuri replied shortly.

“Is she pretty?” Miyoung pressed her body closer towards the table as she tries to look at Yuri’s expression when she answers.

“Average.”

“Average? What kind of average? Elaborate.”

“You ask too much, Miyoung.”

“Aye. That’s why I’m annoying. Come on, Yuri. I want to hear more from you. What kind of average, huh?”

“Average. In terms of looks and physique… that kind of average. Why are you even interested with her? She’s not interesting. Not a bit,” Yuri said with finality.

“She’s interesting because she got in to Fake Red. And it seems like she’s got your approval, no?” Miyoung pulled away from the table and rested her back on her chair’s backrest while drinking her coffee.

“She’s still under probation.” Yuri said. “It seems like her voice doesn’t fit our songs.”

“So what are you going to do, huh? Chase her away like that one before Victoria? Tell her you like her and try to make a move on her?”

“Hey! Who told you-” Yuri paused midway when she realized who the culprit was. “Im Yoona.”

“So you really did that.”

“What? No!” Yuri denied. “And I wasn’t the one who chased her away, it was Hyoyeon.”

“Hyoyeon? She won’t do that. She likes everyone.”

“Everyone except homos, yes,” Yuri added with a slight frown. “And it was her who tried to make a move on me.”

“Can’t lose your pride, can you?”

“I’m just telling the truth. She’s not even my type.”

“So what type of girls do you like, huh?” Miyoung asked casually.

“Girls who have killer eyesmiles,” Yuri started.

“Mmmm?” Miyoung probe her for more.

“Who sings well,” Yuri looked at Miyoung. “Sometimes clumsy and full time annoying.”

Miyoung was silent as the realization downed her.

“Girls like that is my type.” Yuri finished and acted like nothing is suspicious with her answers.

“Yeah,” Miyoung brushed off. “Girls like those are like everywhere. But be careful checking out girls when Hyo’s around.” Miyoung cringed after warning Yuri.

“Will remember too.” Yuri smiled. “So, you said you’re going to debut. How is it going?”

Miyoung grinned when Yuri made her remember about her upcoming debut. She is in complete bliss.

“Yes. Why did you remind me of that? Now, I’m going to talk about myself a lot. I still haven’t caught up on you yet!” Miyoung complained. “And yes, I’m going to debut. We’re a trio.”

“A trio,” Yuri repeated. “Seems interesting.”

“Liar,” Miyoung giggled. “I know you’re not interested with idol-type of music. I know you.”

Yuri laughed. “No, really. I feel like looking forward to idol-type music for the first time.” She played with her now empty cup of coffee. “Are you going to dress up all fancy too?”

“Well, that can’t be help. An idol is an idol after all.”

“That explains your dyed hair.”

“Yep.” Miyoung played with the strands of her hair that was not covered by her cap and played with it. “But they said I look good with my dyed hair.”

“You always look good.”

“Playing cheesy, aren’t we, Kwon?”

“Well, a little.”

“And oh, before I forgot-” Miyoung took something from her pink backpack. “Here.” She handed Yuri pieces of colored hard paper and smiled.

Yuri took the paper and read what was written. Those were tickets that Miyoung gave her. Five tickets to be exact.

“TaeTiSeo? Is this your group’s name?” Yuri raised the tickets but Miyoung pulled her hand down.

“Hey, keep it,” she said. “And yes, TaeTiSeo’s our group name. The first characters of our names made into one.”

“TaeTiSeo,” Yuri repeated. “But your name’s Miyoung. I can’t see ‘Mi’ in here.”

“Oh that. My name is now Tiffany! Cute, right?” Miyoung clapped her hands and blinked repeatedly, obviously liking (loving) her new name.

“Why did they change your name? Miyoung is a very nice name.” Yuri sighed audibly, obviously not liking Miyoung’s change of name.

“Aye,” Miyoung tapped Yuri’s shoulder. “You can always call me Miyoung. It’s just that the company packaged me that way and I can’t say no.”

“Packaged?” Yuri knows nothing about how entertainment companies work for she was never interested with them. Even when Miyoung started training around three years ago, she still has no interest. She thought Miyoung would quit after a month or so but instead, she quit the band a year ago saying she’ll focus on her training because she has a high chance of debuting, her mentor told her.
“Yep. I am packaged as an American. Cool, huh?”

“What’s cool in that? People will eventually find out you’re pure Korean.”

“Pure Korean in blood, yes. But we can always fake about growing up in America and such. Shouldn’t be a problem.”

“And your English?”

“And my English? Yes, why? What’s wrong with my English?” Miyoung asked in English with a perfect American accent.

“Wow,” Yuri almost can’t believe it. “Just, wow.”

“Now, you’re amazed huh? I trained for-” Miyoung stopped when her phone started ringing. “Excuse me.” Yuri nodded and Miyoung answered the phone call. Yuri looked at Miyoung as she waits for the phone call to end.

“Yes, Tae?” Yuri heard Miyoung said. “Why so sudden?” She saw how Miyoung furrowed her brows, obviously displeased. Yuri has an idea of what’s happening. “What?” Miyoung raised her tone and looked outside the café. “Okay, I get it. Gosh Taeyeon! You don’t have to come here.” Miyoung rolled her eyes before ending the call.

“Yuri, I-”

“I understand.” Yuri said before Miyoung can even explain her side.

“I’ll make it up to you, I promise.” Miyoung said with an annoyed tone, obviously not because of Yuri. “You better attend our showcase with the band at the end of this month or else I will hate you forever, okay?” Miyoung said almost threateningly as she stands up. She took out her wallet and was about to pull some cash out but Yuri stopped her.

“I’ll pay,” she resolutely said. Miyoung knew better than arguing with Yuri, no, not when she’s hurrying.

“Fine,” she agreed. “But remember I owe you a date, okay? I really have to go now. Sorry.” Miyoung quickly landed a soft kiss on Yuri’s cheek and with that she left.

Yuri clutched on her chest, feeling the necklace she bought. “Maybe next time,” she said to herself. Movies, arcade… what was she thinking?

 

-///-

Successive and just loud enough knocks on her door disturbed Grace from cooking. She washed her hands and went to her door. Opening it, she saw her favorite dongsaeng with a backpack, a luggage and guitar.

“Yuri,” she said.

“Unnie,” Yuri started. “If you don’t mind, can I stay here again?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


[A/N:] And no, I'm not a VIP. Another no, YulTi is not in any romantic relationship if you're going to ask me. And yes, all tagged pairings will appear. Don't be surprise y'all.

And subscribers, thanks. I know you all have your own bias pairings but... one by one please. XD