Track No. 1 - Another Voice

Semi-Charmed Life

The pen on her hand keeps on moving against the paper on the desk. She keeps on writing but she always ends up crumpling and throwing it at the trash bin near her. It was one of the hundred times that she failed to write yet another song. She’s trying to waste her time as she has been waiting for her friends for she scheduled a practice today. She sighed and picked up her phone to call their manager.

“Hello,” said the older girl on the other line.

“Unnie,” Yuri said. “Did the girls tell you that they won’t be coming today? I’m already here,” Yuri said lazily. “Because if they’re going to ditch our practice again, I should remind them I could be doing part-time job instead of idly waiting for them."

“Well, they haven’t told me if they’re coming or not but I told them that you’ll be meeting your new vocalist today. I think they’ll come.”

“A new vocalist?” Yuri raised her tone. She fixed her seating position and even pressed her phone closer to her ear. “Unnie, you didn’t tell me about this.”

“I didn’t? I sent you message earlier today. Didn’t you receive it? Oh well. You’ll meet her later,” said Grace, their manager. “And please treat this one nicely, Yuri. I don’t want to look for another one.”

“Whatever, unnie. Tell them to get here fast.” Yuri sighed and ended the phone call. She slumped herself on the chair she’s in.

She rested her head on the top rail of the chair’s backrest. She is thinking, “Now, who’s this new vocalist?” The band that she formed around five years ago, when she was just a high school junior, Fake Red, already had four vocalists. The last three vocalists didn’t even last for more than three months each. Yuri busied herself by grabbing the acoustic guitar in the room and started playing random tune. She closed her eyes and though unwantedly, remembers Fake Red’s first vocalist.

“Hello,” greeted a tall skinny lady as she enters the room Yuri was in. Yuri, who was already on the verge of falling asleep, looks up at her.

“I almost fell asleep.” Yuri tilted her head sideward and put the guitar beside her before standing up. The other band members went in with their instruments except for one who already has her instrument situated in the room. “What took you guys so long?”

“Chill yo!” said Yoona cheerfully. “We still have to wait for Hyoyeon’s class before going.”

“Yeah. Sorry about that. Professor’s kind of giving us a few additional lessons,” said Hyoyeon.

Sooyoung didn’t pay attention to the conversation going on as she immediately settled herself to her chair and started trying out her drums which haven’t been played lately. She dusted off her beloved instrument first. She made some adjustments to her drums before softly hitting the percussions. The rest of the girls looked at Sooyoung. Sooyoung caught their gazes and she smiled.

“Aren’t we going to meet our new vocalist?” she reminded.

“You look excited,” said Yoona. She started to her guitar case to get her bass guitar.

While Yuri also started to ready herself to welcome yet another vocalist, she already had a negative thought on her mind; the new vocalist won’t last for more than two months. But Yuri just kept it to herself, she doesn’t want to sound pessimistic anymore. In fact, Yuri is silently wishing for the new vocalist to last for a long time.

“When are you going back to school, Yul?” ask Hyoyeon while checking if her guitar is tuned. She looked up to see Yuri.

“I don’t know,” said Yuri. She paused from fixing her guitar and narrowed her brows, thinking. “Still needs to save more money, I think.”

“Soo can always lend you some money. Right, Soo?” Hyoyeon turned around a little to Sooyoung. Sooyoung was busy with her drums when Hyoyeon asked her that she didn’t get to hear Hyoyeon’s words.

“Eh?”

“There’s no need for me to borrow some money, Hyo. It’s not like I’m really pursuing to graduate anyway,” Yuri brushed off the matter.

“Oh? Money?” Sooyoung said when she finally caught up with the conversation. “I can always ask my dad about it. So, Yuri if you want-”

“Thanks, Soo. But no. I’ll go back to school this next semester. Don’t worry,” Yuri assured but she’s not really sure of that herself. She still has to work for it. When the band started having irregular performances, she lost half of her source of income.

“Is Grace-unnie coming yet? What’s taking her so long?” Yoona said. As if Grace could hear her, she had arrived with a girl. They all bowed to greet their manager and the girl whom they assumed to be the new vocalist.

“Guys, welcome your new vocalist. Her name is Sooyeon.”

They all smiled at the girl named Sooyeon and she smiled back. Yuri smiled too. She looked at the girl curiously and tried to pick things about the girl that stand out the most. She especially pointed out the girl’s eyes and her dyed hair but other than that, she thinks that the girl is nothing but average. She looked at her band mates and smiled.

Welcome her,” Yuri told them.

“Shouldn’t we welcome her as a band?” suggested Yoona. Yuri sighed and without anyone signaling them, they bowed and greeted.

“Hello, we’re Fake Red.”

The girl was taken aback by the sudden introduction and she immediately bowed to introduce herself. “Hello. My name is Sooyeon Jung.” She stood up straight after and flashed yet another warm smile. “I hope we can work together without any problems.”

“Of course there won’t be any problems,” Grace butted in. “These girls can easily adjust to you especially because you’re nice.”

Sooyeon blushed lightly because of the compliment. “Unnie.”

“Do you know our songs?” Hyoyeon asked curiously but courteously.

“I do know some,” answered Sooyeon. “But not all. I’m sorry but you’ve been performing less lately and I have no record of your songs.”

“Oh,” exclaimed Yoona cutely. “That’s okay. We’ll be having practices anyway. So, what can you recall? Is it okay if we try to play one song? Don’t worry. You can sing it the way you remembered the other vocalists did or your own style. Your choice,” Yoona guaranteed. She looked at the other band members and they just nodded their approval.

Sooyeon smiled. She seems to have a song in mind. “I really like ‘Love Light’. Is that song okay?”

Yoona already started playing the first few chords, recalling it, when Yuri suddenly spoke, “I’m sorry, Sooyeon but…. Can you pick another song instead?”

“Why Yuri?” Grace asked in Sooyeon’s behalf. “Isn’t that your personal favorite?”

“Yeah but,” Yuri paused and smiled confidently. “Are we really going to play a slow song?”

“Well, Yuri’s got a point,” agreed Hyoyeon. “And it’s also been a while since we last played Love Light. Do you have any other song choice, Sooyeon?”

“Ah. Triumph, then.” Sooyeon closed her eyes and nibbled her lower lip. “But do you have a copy of the lyrics? I don’t memorize the lyrics of the song. Sorry,” Sooyeon said humbly.

“I think I have a copy,” Yoona said as she walks towards her bag. She opened her bag and started flipping the pages of her filer, looking for what Sooyeon requested. “Here.” Yoona remove the piece of paper from her filer and passed it to Sooyeon.

“Come on girls,” Grace suddenly said upon seeing the situation. “You are not asking Sooyeon to sing right away, are you? You still have to know each other better first, I think. I bet she doesn’t even know your full names.”

Yoona laughed a little before acknowledging Grace’s point, “You’re right, unnie. I guess we’re just too excited to play again.” Yoona looked at Yuri, waiting for the girl’s approval.

“Yeah. I guess we’re too excited. We should be welcoming Sooyeon properly instead of getting her to sing the moment we meet her.” Yuri removed her guitar from her body and walked to where her guitar case lies. “Let’s eat outside.”

Yuri’s invite is not something new to Fake Red. Yuri likes to eat outside every time they have something to celebrate or even when there’s no occasion at all. She had always liked the idea of eating along with many people. Although she rarely talks, she likes the atmosphere of seeing people happily interacting with each other. It reminds her of something she never had—a happy family.

They keep their instruments and made sure they have left the room neat. It was Grace’s music room. It was just a small room that they often use for practices. In fact, only a few people would dare call it a music room. If there’s one thing Yuri always bring with her that would be her guitar. It was her favorite guitar that she got as a gift from Grace three years ago when she first started handling Fake Red. When her guitar is safely settled at her back, Yuri invited them to go.

Yuri has never been the friendly or the talkative kind of girl but Yuri is not the snob type. She’ll talk when spoken to. She’ll laugh if something’s funny. She smiles when she meets new people. So when they were walking towards the nearest food stall, she just looked at her band mates talking to Sooyeon. She’d response if they ask her something. She tightened her hold on the strap of her guitar case. As she wasn’t really paying attention to the girls she was with, she ended up walking ahead of them. She was looking down, as if she was hiding her face. Suddenly, someone tapped her shoulder. A familiar feeling came to her and she looked back with a smile.

“Uhmmm, we’ve reached the place,” Sooyeon said softly and innocently.

“Oh,” Yuri said. “I see.”

 

 

 

 


[A/N:] I updated tonight *KST because I just feel like it. Who knows? I might update again tomorrow. This fic will be updated weekly by the way. /during weekends, either Saturday on Sunday night *KST /

Wow. 37 subbies already. Now, I feel pressured. :') You seem to be asking something. Just... trust me. /winks/ Thanks for subscribing by the way. :))) And oh, we'll be using 'TRACK' for this story. I'm not really good in writing poems/songs so we'll see if I'll write original lyrics or credit original songs. /hope I can write instead/

And am I the only one who thinks Fake Red is not a good band name? XD Sorry. And oh, there you go, Fake Red's members. :D

This update is short because it is like the introductory chapter? /lol no I just can't make it any more longer/ If any, please leave down comments. I tried to improve my writing as much as I can. ^^

 

So... whose POV will I be writing next? :)