Sound

Tingle

A/N: I am so very sorry for the long hiatus! It's been really hard to find time and energy to write since I started working. ToT But worry not, I'm back with this new chapter. Please go easy on me as I wrote this in between snatches of free time at work (shhh, don't tell my boss). More cameos of individuals I'm sure you're familiar with. :D

Chapter 6 - Sound

He can only watch so many videos of his bandmates exchanging covert glances and shy little smiles before his head starts pounding and his eyes are watering, and he tells Dujun-hyung as much.

“Keep quiet and stay put,” Their leader orders him tersely, eyes never leaving the screen of the laptop in front of them. Dongwoon would almost find it amusing if it weren’t for the fact that Dujun-hyung has basically coerced him into watching every single clip he can get his hands on. They had started out with four people, but eventually Kikwang-hyung had shaken his head and said he needed to sleep, and Hyunseung-hyung mumbled something about practice for TroubleMaker. Dongwoon would have taken his leave at that point, but one sharp look from Dujun-hyung has him slumping back down on his seat. Dujun-hyung’s right arm is warm where it’s flung casually around his shoulders to prevent Dongwoon from leaving, and it tightens its hold every time he so much as moves a centimeter away.

Truth be told, it’s not like thinking about Junhyung-hyung and Yoseob-hyung as a couple is completely foreign to him. If one of them had been a girl, Dongwoon’s certain everyone would have reached the same conclusions, and much, much earlier, too. Junhyung-hyung’s overprotectiveness and nonstop teasing towards Yoseob-hyung would certainly fit the bill from a heteronormative perspective. Even without that, the way that Yoseob-hyung’s aegyo becomes even more evident once Junhyung-hyung is in sight is hard to miss. He supposes it must be a hard pill to swallow for their oldest hyung, though, having grown up with them side-by-side as trainees. Dongwoon, as the last addition to their group, had seen right away that their relationship was something out of the ordinary, at least compared to the way they interacted with the other members.

As if sensing the shift in his thoughts, Dujun-hyung hits the spacebar to pause the video and turns to face him. “Hey, what’s wrong? You’ve gone all quiet. You okay?” He is startled when their leader disentangles his arm from Dongwoon’s shoulders and lifts a hand to his forehead before using the other hand on his own. “Hmmm…”  

Dongwoon can't help but laugh at the comically serious expression on his face. "I'm okay, hyung," he insists gently but firmly, pushing the hand away. "More importantly, is it all right for you to keep watching? I don't think you got more than 3 hours last night." Dujun grimaces at the reminder.

"Two, actually," he answers with a wry attempt at a smile, "but since promotions just ended I'll be fine." He ruffles Dongwoon's hair affectionately. "You worry too much."

He chuckles at the irony. Dujun-hyung telling him he worries too much? "Pot calling the kettle black, hyung," he retorts.

"You cheeky kid." Dujun-hyung scowls and makes as if to hit him, but Dongwoon doesn't flinch. They both know that punch will never land.

...

It's another somnolent afternoon at the dorm. With their schedules freed up for the time being, Dongwoon's father has asked if he wants to go home for the first time in a while to unwind. Dongwoon almost says yes, but then he remembers Dujun-hyung getting all excited about planning their vacation time together, and he ends up declining with a regretful sigh, promising to make it up to his parents next time. As a result, he and Dujun-hyung are sprawled out comfortably on the couch, their leader dozing off in his lap and effectively eating up most of the available space.

It feels strange not to be doing anything, but Dongwoon doesn't dislike it.

Dujun-hyung doesn't stir even when the cellphone in Dongwoon's shorts pocket buzzes. He fishes it out, blinking as he tries to adjust to the brightness of the screen.

Dongwoon, Woohyun and I are going to that cafe you talked about a while back. Wanna come with?

The message is from Kibum. He chews on his lower lip thoughtfully. He's never been to that place, either. The one who told him about that was Dujun-hyung. He shrugs internally. Since he's free at the moment, there's really no reason not to go. Nodding to himself, he types in a reply.

I'll join. :) Meet up in front?

Gently lifting Dujun-hyung's head up and setting it down on a pillow, Dongwoon whispers a quick goodbye before heading off to his room to change into a pair of black pants and a gray dress shirt his mom insists would look good on him. Throwing on a coat and sliding the keys to the dorm in his pocket, he casts one last glance at their leader and then steps out.

As he walks down the street leading to the cafe, a strong gust of wind passes through. He shivers slightly, thankful for the thick lining of the coat he's wearing. Two figures wave at him a few meters up ahead, and it takes him a moment to recognize Kibum, hair dyed a jet-black. Woohyun, as usual, seems like he would be happy to do anything as long as Kibum suggested it.

"Let's go in!" The SHINee member grins and opens the door. The scent of coffee, strong but not overpowering, permeates his senses, accompanied by the smells of bread as well as other pastries baking in the oven. Dongwoon drinks in the sound of jazz music softly playing in the background, smiling. Dujun-hyung has good taste. He follows Kibum's unhesitating lead to a corner of the shop, and they seat themselves. Kibum wastes no time in grabbing the menu and perusing it, absent-mindedly swatting Woohyun when he props his chin on the other man's shoulder, but making no move to push him away.

Shaking his head, Dongwoon decides to use the time to take a good, long look at the interior. The wooden floor is polished to perfection, and the petite chandelier set in the center of the room lends a classy, rather than ostentatious, air to the shop. In the midst of all the cacophony of customers and baristas, Dongwoon hears the sound of a familiar baritone. The voice is hushed, its owner soft-spoken, words half-mumbled but not quite. Heart thumping at this bizarre coincidence, he frantically searches the room for a glimpse.

His eyes finally stop at a couple sitting a few tables away from them. The man is undoubtedly Junhyung-hyung, even with the slicked back hair and the plain black turtleneck with no accessories in sight, fiddling with the straw of a half-finished iced Americano. Opposite him is a long-haired girl Dongwoon's never seen before in his life. An eyebrow lifts involuntarily when he realizes the girl is also wearing a black turtleneck. He never thought he would see the day Junhyung-hyung decided to brazenly go out in public with couple outfits.

The girl her head and says something, he doesn't hear what, but it's enough to make Beast's rapper break out into a smile and reach out to wipe off a stray fleck of cream from the corner of . Just observing the two of them being so lovey-dovey gives Dongwoon goosebumps.

Kibum quickly catches on to where he's looking, and he follows Dongwoon's line of sight.

"Your main vocalist looks pretty good as a girl," he remarks in a nonchalant voice, "What was his name again? The cute one?"

Dongwoon opens his mouth to answer before Kibum's words register in his head.

Main vocalist looks pretty good as a girl.

Main vocalist...as a girl.

Even as he is suspended in disbelief, the girl turns her head briefly and he is greeted by a face he would know anywhere.

"It's Yoseob-hyung," he manages to croak out. Kibum hums his acknowledgement, exchanges a look with Woohyun, and they both take turns patting his shoulder in sympathy. He buries his face in his hands.

There's no way Dujun-hyung can know about this.