Chapter 19

Ending Page (The Rhythm of the Wind)

 

 

 

“……I miss this song…… I miss hearing it played with piano……by my Dad…… I miss……playing this song…… with…… a piano…”

 

Krystal raised her brows. ‘Playing piano? Did Amber just say she’s missing playing piano? Does it mean…’

Krystal’s eyes went wider. She broke the hug and she stared at Amber in the eyes as she held the older girl’s shoulders.

 

“You can play piano??”

 

Amber looked down. She wiped the tears on her reddish cheeks.

 

“Am?”, Krystal tried to find Amber’s sight.

 

“………uh… no. Not anymore”, Amber answered faintly.

 

“Not …… anymore?”

 

“Uh, Krys, I will just …… take a nap you… you can continue… your… play”

 

“Do you want a cup of hot coffee? I’ll go to cafeteria for a moment you just wait here okay?”, Krystal gave a smile to Amber before she left the room.

 

 

 

******  

 

 

 

Amber took a sip of her instant coffee.

 

“You feeling better?”, the younger girl that was sitting in front of her asked.

 

Amber nodded slightly. She really did feel better after the warmth of the coffee filling and warming her stomach.

 

“Thanks”, Amber whispered.

 

“You’re welcome”, Krystal said and took a sip of her cappuccino.

 

They sank into a silent for a moment.

 

“You… you know everything already… I’m …… such a dumb”, Amber smiled faintly.

 

“You don’t have to talk about it if you don’t want to…”, Krystal fixed her hair, “but …… I just want you to know… that I will try my best to help you forget your bad memories about… piano”

 

Amber looked up to Krystal, she narrowed her eyes while stared at the long haired girl, “…why you wanna do that? It’s not even your problem…”, she looked down and scoffed, “I’m not even your friend”

 

“Uh…well… you’re right. If you think I’m trying to be nice to you so that we can be friends or I can be a friend of the smartest student in this academy… you’re wrong”

 

Amber scoffed and chuckled.

 

“I have my own reason, Amber”, Krystal said in serious tone, “it’s because of my love for music, and somehow I can feel your love for music too. Yesterday when you played that song with your guitar, I could see how you miss the song so much, I got your feeling when you play guitar. And someone like you……… I won’t let someone like you go from music… music I mean all kind of music… I won’t let you hate one of them because I know you don’t”

 

Amber sipped her coffee again, there went silent again before Amber continued, “it happened when I was eight”

 

Krystal took a look at Amber, waiting the tomboy to continue the story that was just begun, “I was learning guitar that night, it was my first time learning guitar… because the first music instrument that I could play……… was piano”

 

Krystal was surprised, but she tried to play it cool. She never expected that Amber—the Amber—the one who hated piano that much—actually could play piano. Even piano was the first music instrument that she could play, it never crossed her mind.

 

“That night when I was learning guitar in my room, I heard the sound of piano, but it wasn’t like someone was playing it… it was like…… someone was… I don’t know… it sounds really creepy… I walked toward the music room—it was my Dad’s work room”

 

“Excuse me”, Krystal interrupted, “Your Dad… worked on music too?”

 

“He was a pianist and an orchestra conductor”

 

Krystal kept trying to play it cool but she didn’t think she did it well. Now she knew why Amber knew so much about music. It’s the blood.

 

“I… I see. And what happened when you got the music room?”

 

Amber looked down, seemed like it was so hard for her to tell Krystal about what happened back then. “… I found my Father’s body…… was shaking on the piano keys…earning that creepy sound of piano… blood weren’t stop flowing”, Amber took a deep breath—tried to control her emotion, “I was just a little kid, I was so scared. I shouted as loud as I could hoping someone would hear me and help my Dad, but no one came until my Father’s body stop shaking. He was dead”

 

“Amber…”

 

“But finally, someone came… someone that I knew… someone that I trusted. He was my uncle’s best friend…… but when I was about to run to him and hug him… I saw… I saw he was hiding a gun… behind his back”

 

Krystal covered with her palm.

 

“I shouted telling him that he killed my Dad… but he escaped, and he never appear until now”

 

“…… did you tell the police about what happened?”

 

“I was mute for a week because of psychological shock. Until Victoria came to LA to pick me up. But the police didn’t force me to explain about what happened that day. They tried, but every time they asked me about it, I would be crying out loud and shouting. So they stopped and let Victoria brought me”

 

 

 

 

*********          

 

 

 

 

Amber stared blankly at the ceiling. Krystal’s play kept repeating in her mind, she couldn’t deny it that her roommate played it well—no, scratch that—it was really beautiful. Amber closed her eyes as she tried to play ‘lover’s concerto’ that was played by Krystal in her mind. Amber got the feel, Krystal didn’t just play the song but also told the story of the song really well.

Every song has a story in it. We could feel the narration within the melodies—and the music player is the story teller. If the music player could play the music perfectly, the story of the song would reach the listener perfectly too.

 

Amber turned her head when she heard the sound of the door opened. It was Krystal, she was out to Sulli and Luna’s room last time and now she was back.

 

“I thought you’re asleep”, she said as she closed the door.

 

Amber didn’t answer. She just flipped her body and pulled up her blanket.

 

“No…”, Krystal approached the tomboy. She pulled down the blanket that wrapped on Amber’s body.

 

Amber flipped her body and frowned to Krystal.

 

“You can’t sleep before have dinner”

 

“I don’t eat dinner”

 

“You should eat dinner”

 

“Why should I?”

 

“Because you’re a human and human eats”

 

Amber rolled her eyes.

 

Krystal took a seat on Amber’s bed causing the older girl jumped a bit, “yah! What are you doing here? it’s my bed”

 

Krystal stared at Amber with her sharp eyes, “let’s go out for dinner”

 

Amber didn’t know why suddenly her cheeks felt so warm.

 

“Nah, it’s okay it’s not just me and you but we’ll go out with Sulli and Luna unnie too”, Krystal said with flat tone.

 

“W… What?? I didn’t think about me and you having dinner!”

 

“Yes okay so? Come with us?”

 

Amber blew a sigh.

 

“Or you just want me and you to……”

 

“Yah!! No I didn’t think about it not even a second! I don’t mind with Sulli and Luna! not at all!”

 

Krystal smirked, “It means you agreed. Let’s go they’re waiting for us”

 

 

 

*********          

 

 

 

“I’m so happy to see you again Hyung!!”

 

“Come on Ssul we’re studying in the same academy you can see her everyday”, Krystal rolled her eyes. She then put a slice of beef steak into her tiny mouth.

 

“But it’s Amber Hyung we’re talking about, she rarely hangs around”

 

“Sulli is right, Soojung ah, I’m happy too. Thank you for joining us, Ambo sshi”

 

“It’s Amber not Ambo”, Amber mumbled.

 

“A… Ambu~r”

 

“Amber”

 

“A.. Ambeur”

 

“Sshh forget it”

 

Krystal chuckled so did Sulli.

 

“Ah Soojungie”, suddenly Sulli remembered of something.

 

“Hm?”

 

“You said you won’t go home on this weekend right?”

 

Krystal’s expression turned down a bit, “uh yes um… my… my family isn’t home so I think I’m gonna stay in our dorm this weekend”, she smiled faintly.

 

“That’s why I want you to come with me to my house in Busan! We will celebrate San E’s birthday! What do you think??”

 

Krystal’s eyes brightened up.

 

“Who’s San E?”, asked Luna.

 

“He’s my baby brother, unnie. Haven’t I told you?”

 

Luna shook her head.

 

“San E is the youngest among the family, and he will celebrate his fourth birthday this weekend”

 

“He’s only four?? Aigoooo cute…”

 

“He is! And last night my mom texted me, she said San E isn’t well”, Sulli pouted, “but he still wants to celebrate his birthday, she wants a lot of people come to celebrate his birthday and sing with him. So that I ask you Soojungie to come with me”

 

“Of course I will”, Krystal smiled.

 

“Ah I can come too, may I, Sulli ah?”

 

“Really, Luna unnie?? Yay!! San E must be happy to see you guys!”

 

Amber kept enjoying her muffin until she realized everyone went silent. Amber looked up and she found the three girls were looking at her.

 

“What?”, she raised her brows.

 

“Amber Hyung…… can you come too?”, Sulli showed her best aegyo.

 

“San E is sick and he wants to celebrate his birthday with a lot of people”, Krystal showed her sad expression.

 

“He’s only four Ambo sshi~”, Luna added.

 

“He can celebrate his birthday without me he doesn’t even know me”, Amber was about to bite her muffin again but she felt someone squeezed her hand under the table. Amber looked at Krystal—the one who held her hand.

 

“Please?”, Krystal begged.

 

Here came again, Amber felt the warmth on her cheeks. She immediately pulled her hand and looked away.

 

“……… it’s for Sulli’s little brother”

 

Sulli and Luna were yelling happily.

 

Meanwhile Krystal just looked down, a shy smile was drawn on her pretty face.

 

 

 

******* 

 

 

 

“Hey cousin, a bit late, sorry!”, Jonghyun patted Amber’s shoulder, “yah… you haven’t ordered me a coffee? How could you…”, he prostested as he took a seat.

 

Amber glared at her cousin.

 

Jonghyun gulped, “I…uhh… you know boss ordered me so… it wasn’t my fault I think?”

 

“Wasn’t your fault your ”

 

Jonghyun gulped again.

 

“You could text me or call me before you go. If you don’t use that cell phone of yours properly then throw it to rubbish bin”

 

Jonghyun sighed, “fine it was my fault… mian, okay?”

 

Amber scoffed, “forget it. Let’s just discuss about the songs”

 

“Yah… can I order coffee first?”

 

“No. You can’t order anything before we’re done”

 

Jonghyun looked at his cousin in disbelief, “Amber seriously why you so…”

 

“Your punishment”

 

“Aish… cruel…”

 

“Look”, Amber put a paper on the table. Meanwhile without her realizing it, Jonghyun grabbed her cup of coffee and took a sip of it, “this is the song list of the concert”, Amber continued.

 

Jonghyun reached the paper and started reading it. Yes, Amber still didn’t realize that her cousin took over her coffee. Jonghyun nodded while read the song list, but suddenly he frowned when he found a ‘song’ was included in the list.

 

“A lover… a lover’s concerto??! The toy’s song?!! You said you don’t want it to be played by anyone??”

 

Amber scratched her temple, “…… I…uhh… I found someone to play this song…”

 

“WHAT?!! Uh… I mean… who?”

 

Amber took a deep breath, “………… Krystal Jung”

 

Jonghyun needed few seconds to digest what just Amber said. That name……… sounded familiar but, “…… you aren’t talking about Krystal Jung in your room right? I mean… your roommate?”

 

“I’m talking about her”

 

 “…………………………………ARE YOU SERIOUS AMBER?????”

 

“Aish don’t shout! Yah! Give me back my coffee!”

 

 

 

***********       

 

 

Amber found her room was empty when she came. Her roommate wasn’t there, she probably still had class.

Taking off her cap, Amber immediately laid her body on the bed. She finished her schedule earlier than usual today. Jonghyun told her to come to his dorm and arrange some songs but Amber refused, she was still a bit mad at the cousin.

Amber closed her eyes, tried to get some rest, but as her eyes closed suddenly ‘that’ song was played again in her mind. She couldn’t forget it, she thought it was because she missed her Father so much.

It wasn’t something that she planned but suddenly Amber got up—she took a look at Krystal’s digi-piano, it was covered by a thin fabric, Amber still could see the keys though—white and black keys. It’s been years since the last time she felt her fingers on them—on the keys.

As if the piano called her, Amber came approaching it.

 

 

“I’m home”

 

Amber was a bit startled, “oh… Krys”

 

Krystal watched her roommate for a moment, and then she realized that Amber was standing next to her digi-piano.

 

“Was you……about to play it?”, she asked the tomboy.

 

Amber shook her head, “n…no. I… I was just… it was nothing”

 

Krystal approached the older girl, “You said you miss playing ‘it’ yesterday, don’t you want to try it?”, She put down her bag on her bed.

 

“N… No… I… I can’t”

 

“……………………….I’m sorry… I didn’t mean to make you feel afraid. I just think…… your parents… your mom and dad… up there… they must be happy if they see you play ‘lover’s concerto’ with piano again”

 

Amber looked down, “…… but I can’t”

 

Krystal watched Amber’s eyes, they looked dark—full of fear, and bad memories.

 

Krystal grabbed the tomboy’s wrist, “come with me”, she pulled her closer to the piano.

 

“No…”, Amber tried to pull back but Krystal held her tighter.

 

“It’s okay. You’re with me”, the younger assured the older one.

 

They were standing right in front of the piano. Krystal took off the fabric that covered her piano, and then she turned to Amber—she was closing her eyes.

 

“Open your eyes?”

 

“……Kryst please I can’t I..”

 

Krystal held her hand even tighter, “you have me here, you don’t need to be afraid. Come on, open your eyes”

 

Amber slowly opened her eyes. She found her self standing really close to the piano. After few years passed, she finally could see a piano this close again.

 

Krystal lifted Amber’s wrist, guided it to the piano keys. But Amber immediately pulled back, “What are you doing??”, Amber was panic.

 

“Don’t you want to try to touch it?”

 

“NO! I can’t, I told you”

 

“You can, trust me”

 

“I can’t!!”

 

“You can”, Krystal said as she stared at Amber’s eyes, “trust me… you can do it. You will forget your nightmare, you can do it”, Krystal grabbed Amber’s hand. Slowly, she guided it to the piano keys again, but this time, Amber didn’t pull back, “Come on…… touch it…”, Krystal whispered.

 

“No!”

 

“It’s okay, Amber…”

 

“………………”, Amber closed her eyes and let Krystal guided her hand, and finally, she could feel it—her fingers on piano keys.

Amber encouraged her self to open her eyes.

 

“See?”, Krystal smiled, “you touch it and everything’s still okay. Now……… play your fingers on the keys…”, Krystal pressed Amber’s index finger on the key, caused a tinkle sound from the piano, and it brought back Amber’s fear.

 

Amber breath got heavier, “Dad… Dad…”

 

“Ssshhh look Amber… Amber”, Krystal made Amber looking at her by cupping the older’s cheeks, “forget it… your dad isn’t hurt anymore. He’s fine now, and he was watching you up there. He… He can’t wait to see you  play piano again”

 

“No!! I can’t! …………. I’m scared…no…”

 

“Sshhh it’s okay… I’m here… let’s play it together”

 

“…………………Together?”

 

“Yes, we will play it together”

 

 

“………Daddy…”

“Yes, Dear?”

“Let’s play this song together for Mom, and sing it together”

 

 

The rhythm of the piano was heard, it woke Amber up from her memory. Krystal was playing the rhythm of the song, and again Amber was carried away by Krystal’s play. It reminded her of her Dad’s play.

 

Amber slowly lifted her hand. She was unsure and really afraid, but finally she put her fingers on the piano keys. As her fingers started dancing on the keys, a beautiful melody was heard—filling the rhythm that was played by Krystal.

 

Krystal felt goosebumps when she heard the melody. Her rhythm… and the melody… were mixed and earned a very beautiful song from a piano. It sounded perfect.

 

 

They finally finished the song. Amber couldn’t believe that she finally touched piano again, she finally could play the song with piano again. She had left piano since her father left her, playing it now somehow made her felt that her father was back.

 

Krystal turned to Amber, she saw the tomboy girl’s eyes were so teary.

 

“You did it… you did it, Am”, she told her.

 

Amber looked up to Krystal, tears already flew on her cheeks. Krystal pulled the older girl—gave her a shoulder.

 

Amber sobbed harder, she couldn’t hold this anymore. Her pain, her fears, her nightmare, they hurt her for years.

 

“Cry out loud, throw up your bad memories”, Krystal Amber’s back.

 

 

__________________________________________________________________           

 

Next on ‘Ending Page’

 

“No…… God……. She’s…… She’s amazing”

 

“San E ya… Where have you been? Finished taking Hyung and Nuna walk around?”

“Un… Ambo Hyung gave me and Keulistal Nuna piggy back”

“Amber Hyung?? Krystal Nuna?? Piggy back??!!!!”