No Smile

Family Drama [HIATUS]

JAEJOONG’S P.O.V.

            I watched her, wary of what she might do. But she only laid there, her eyes blank as she stared at the ceiling. She didn’t cry, but I knew, I could see her tears that needed to fall, stay in her eyes. I wanted to say something, but my mind drew a blank. To comfort her seemed impossible. I had no idea how.

            “Jaejoong,” she suddenly whispered. I jumped. Have I been discovered? “Where are you? I need you right now.”

            “Who are you talking about?” I asked. What she had said confused me.

            “Kim, Jaejoong,” she tried to smile, but instead she frowned. “From DBSK? Hard to believe, but I met him once, as a child. He was 11 and I nine when we met. Our first meeting was in a park. I was bored and went there really late. Something told me someone needed me. He was there, and he’d been crying.”

Flashback- Minami

I walked towards the boy on the swing. He looked lonely, so I wanted to see if he wanted company.

“Are you okay?” I looked at him. He hid his face from me, but I knew he had just cried.

“Leave me alone,” he said coarsely.

I ignored him. “How old are you?”

“Eleven,” he answered.

“I’m 9,” I sat on the swing next to him. “What’s your name? My name’s Tsubiyama, Minami.”

“Minami-ah?” he asked. “Kim, Jaejoong.”

“Jaejoong,” I smiled.

“Call me oppa, I’m older,” he ordered.

“Wae?” I whined. “Fine. Joong-oppa.”

“Joong-oppa?” he turned to face me. “Wae not Jae-oppa?”

“I’m guessing most just Jae for short, I want something different,” I said simply.

“Okay,” he shrugged. “I’ll call you Mimi.”

We met up every night for about a month to play in secret. I don’t know why we kept it a secret, but we did. Eventually he told me the reason for him crying that night. It was because he saw his parents fight for the first time, and his appa also hit his umma. Ironically, the last time I saw him, I was the one crying.

“Mimi,” Joong-oppa hugged me. “Minji will be in a good place, okay?”

My pet kitty had been run over the day before my family and I had found her earlier in the day. Joong-oppa was really nice to me, and he was the first boy I ever liked, but I never told him.

“Mimi, I’m going to become a professional singer,” he’d sung for me to make me feel better. “So whenever you’re sad, you can listen to me sing whenever or wherever.”

“Joong-oppa, you’ll always be there for me, right?” I asked.

“Yup, and you for me okay?” he smiled. “We’ll get married in the future so we can always be together.”

End Flashback

            I listened silently, confused by her words. It sounded as if she spoke about me. The part about crying due to the parents and crying in the park matched with what happened to me when I was 11. But her? I had no recollection of ever meeting her before today, and even telling her we’d get married. I should be able to remember something like that if I’d been 11.

            “He never showed up again after that,” she looked at me. “But recently he showed up again, but as a pro singer like he said. If I was ever down, I’d listen to him sing. Later I found out that the day after I last saw him he’d had an accident. Hit his head. I figured he forgot me because of that, but no would know he lost part of his memory.”

            My accident. I had woken up in the hospital, and my parents said I had tried reaching for a fake red tulip at the story, going on about giving it to someone. Something heavy fell and hit my head. Knocking me unconscious. NO WAY!

            “Did, did you ever try contacting him?” I watched her closely.

            “Yes,” she closed her eyes. “I sent him a red paper tulip to his fan mail address.”

            “Well, seem like you’re up miss Tsubiyama,” the doctor had come in and smiled.

            “Um, yes,” she gave the doctor a weary look.

            “How are you feeling?” the doctor asked. “And you may call me Dr. Han.”

            “How am I feeling?” Minami rolled her eyes. “My body is starting to ache.”

            “I’ll go and fetch you some more medication,” Dr. Han left.

            “Look, Minami,” I shifted uncomfortably. “Only family is allowed to see you now, so, um…”

            “But you’re not family,” her eyes clouded.

            “I know,” I sighed. “Apperantly we have been arranged to get married by our parents. So I used my ability as your fiancé to see you. My appa and umma are in the lobby.”

            “Fiancé?” she took a deep breath.

            “Look, I don’t expect you to go along with it after…” I trailed off.

            “If it’s what my parents wanted than I won’t refuse,” she closed her eyes. “If you don’t want to, I won’t stop you either.”

 

1 WEEK LATER

            I entered my parent’s home for the first time in about a year. No one was home at the moment, but they would pick me up soon enough. Minami was to be discharged today and her parent’s funeral was also today. Tomorrow it would be announced about our engagement, only because of her parent’s wishes. I would soon reveal who really was to her.

            I entered my room, expecting it to be, well, not my room. But it was just as I’d left it. I looked at my desk and saw the two red flowers still in the mug. The one from Minami, and the one I couldn’t quite remember why I had wanted to buy so badly. Was what she said, true?

            I worried about her reaction when I revealed who I truly was. Would she be mad at me? Hate me? Cancel the engagement? In all truth, I was a little inclined to marrying her, but after what she’d said, I wanted to remember her. How had I felt about her then?

            I’d gone to see her again during the past week, and felt crushed. The light in her eyes was no longer there, and she never smiled. Dr. Han told me she hadn’t shed a single tear. She said that Minami was still likely in shock, or didn’t have anyone to hold her as she cried that she trusted.

            The red paper tulip. The day one of the staff members brought each of the members their fan mail and gifts, I’d quickly spotted the tulip. There was no note, but I took it carefully. I had had the feeling that it was from the person that I had wanted to give the tulip I had too. But I wasn’t quite sure, but I took it home in the end and left it with the other tulip. That was the last time I had come home until today.

            *Honk HONK!

            I shook my head and worked to clear my mind. I walked out of the house, wearing a black suit, my hair slicked back and my big nerd glasses. Because Minami couldn’t walk due to her injuries, she was to remain in a wheelchair, also causing my appa to buy a slick black van. It didn’t have a ramp, but we could move her much easier in and out of the vehicle than a regular car.

            I opened the side door and slid in next to Minami who sat quietly in her seat, looking out the opposite window. She wore a simple black dress while her hair was fixed into a bun. She kept her back straight, but her head drooped. As soon as I shut the door, she slowly turned and looked at me. Her face remained blank and solemn. Her eyes looked dead and her lips were set in a hard line.

            “Jae,” my dad frowned. “Take those glasses off and put your hair as you normally would. There’s no need for disguises. Respect the Tsubiyama’s.”

            “Appa…” I started but decided otherwise. “Alright.”

            I looked away from Minami as Appa drove away from our home. Slowly I removed my glasses and shook my hair out, having brushed it back. I sighed and turned to look at Minami with apologetic eyes.

            Her eyes turned from confused but blank eyes after my appa’s comment to wide startled eyes. She opened as if to say something, only to shut it again. I looked to my appa in the rearview mirror and with his eyes told me to explain it myself to her.

            “Minami,” I looked at her again. “My name is actually Kim, Jaejoong. I’m also known as Hero. You’ve seen me as a member of DBSK. It was necessary to hide my identity before, and for that, I apologize.”

            “I see,” she frowned and looked out the window again.

 

            With the mourning for the Tsubiyama couple and the condolences, no one really cared about me being there. Some gave me quick, curious glances, but maintained themselves respectful. Minami never cried. She just sat in her wheelchair quietly, never taking her eyes off her parent’s pictures.

            “Who will she stay with?” someone asked.

            “With the Kim’s,” another said.

            “Poor girl, her parents were everything to her,” said another.

            “They were a real close family.”

            “She was always smiling.”

            “It’s hard to see her so quiet and depressed.”

            I spotted three girls walking in my directions. From what I could tell, they were friends of Minami. I groaned inwardly. This was not the time to be excited to meet me!

            “Jaejoong,” a short and pretty girl spoke up first. “These are the twins, Mijun and Minjan. I’m Yan He. We all came to tell you that you better not hurt Min!”

            “What?” I took a step back, surprised.

            “Look, we know Min is to live at your parents house,” Minjan, I guessed, spoke up next. “Don’t hurt her. She told us about you a long time ago, so please, help her smile again.”

            “You’re the only one that can help her smile again,” Mijun gave me an unwavering glare. “But you’re also the one that can break her the most now.”

            “She cried for nearly a month after you disappeared,” Yan He said.

            “I don’t remember ever meeting her,” I snapped. “What can you do anyways?”

            “We’re in charge of your whole fan base,” Yan He smirked. “We had it going before you even debuted. We can crush you.”

            “And we know all about your accident,” Mijun smiled. “Believe me, we know.”

            I watched as the three girls headed to Minami in amazement. This was news to me. It was as if they knew about our engagement. The trio hugged Minami and tried to make her smile. Minami tried, but in the end she only winced.

            “Jaejoong!” umma called. “Bring Minami with you, it’s time to go!”

            Minami hadn’t moved throughout the whole thing. Umma had finally told me they’d wait in the car, saying Minami should have some time alone. Slowly, I approached her.

            “Minami?” I knelt by her chair.

            “Jaejoong…” she looked at me. “You really don’t remember me, do you?”

            “Sorry,” I bowed my head.

            “Life is twisted,” she looked at her parent’s grave stones again. “And sick. I lose you, but we meet again. Except you don’t remember me. My parents are gone forever, arranging a marriage before they died to someone I once loved. Yeah, life is messed up.”

            “Minami,” I didn’t know what to say.

            “Can I have Joong-oppa even for a minute?” she looked at me, her expression desperate. “Sing me that song again, any song even. Like you did before.”

            So I sang to her an old lullaby, and she watched me the whole time. Then, she began to cry. She finally cried. But she also suddenly pushed herself off the chair and fell on me. I just barely caught her and held her while I sang and she continued to cry. She cried and cried, eventually falling asleep. I picked her up and took her to the car. As Appa Situated her I got the wheelchair, praying that hopefully she would be able to smile again. Soon.

================================================

MINAMI’S P.O.V.

            I woke up, feeling sluggish and my eyes felt puffy. Oh, that’s right, I finally cried. I’d cried and cried as Joong-oppa sang to me. No, I couldn’t call him that, not when he didn’t remember. But he’d sung the same lullaby he’d sung for me that last night as kids.

            Mrs. Kim walked in and helped me change into a red dress and curled my hair. She did my make-up and I just sat there like a doll. Eventually I was taken to eat breakfast. All three Kim’s were there. I didn’t care. Nothing mattered anymore. Not even the engagement. I was sure Jaejoong didn’t want to go through with it. I could care less.

            I never spoke, unless it was truly necessary. No one said anything. Eventually we headed to the S.M. Entertainment building where the press conference would be held about the engagement.

            “Hello!” Jaejoong greeted the reporters.

            “Who’s this lovely lady?”

            “Is it true you are getting married?”

            “Now, now,” he chided. “The rumors are true! This here is my beautiful fiancé, Minami!”

            “How old is she?”

            “What happened to her?”

            “Has a date been set?”

            “What do you have to say to your fans?”

            “She was in a recent accident, so as to that, I shall say no more,” he frowned then smiled. “She’s 17, so we won’t get married for about another year, after she finishes school. So no date has been set for the big day. As to my fans, I hope you can accept her and take good care of her as you do me!”

            Who cares? I don’t.

======================================

NO ONE’S P.O.V.

            The news spread quickly, being the number once topic people talked about. Fans cried, but accepted it just as he requested. Everyone in Asian basically knew, even the groom’s best friend. He just had to meet his friend’s fiancé and congratulate him.

======================================

Oh snap! Jaejoong most be really popular if the news are all over Asia!

Will Minami be able to smile ever again?

Crap, I feel so bad. I'm just making this so sad.

I promise it'll get better... kinda. I mean, it is titled Family Drama for a reason.

And I'm really sorry I've taken so long to update! This chapter is prett long I think, and I'm also working on the other one.

But T.T to me. I started another fanfic... I should stop myself before I drown myself in too many fics.

Super sorry! I'll try updating soon!

Please subscribe if you're silent reader! And comment. It makes me said when no one says anything.

I love you guys!