Chapter 6

When I Was Your Man

“Daddy! Daddy!” little Lauren jumped on his father’s bed and nudged him endlessly to wake up. There was much enthusiasm painted on her face that day. She was looking forward to something she waited for so long.

 

“Lauren… Let daddy get some more sleep okay?” Siwon pleaded. He was not as excited as his daughter was. He felt the opposite, he didn’t want to get out of bed, nor wanted to move a single muscle. Siwon pulled Lauren next to him and tucked her back to bed.

“Daddy! I don’t want to sleep! I want to meet mommy! Right now! Let’s go now please? Please, please please daddy?” she pleads, pulling away from his father’s embrace and sitting up. Finally Siwon nods and tells her to dress up.

 

He sighs, hearing what Lauren just said, but she can’t blame his kid. Lauren misses her mom so much and the first thing she wanted to do was to see her mother that day. A hint of regret stings him as he remembers a certain day in their lives.

 

FLASHBACK

 

“I-I don’t know Tiffany. I’m still confused, I don’t want to make the same mistake again. I don’t want to hurt you again. Why did you do this? Why did you do this to yourself? You were so happy with Seunghyun, why?” Siwon paints frustration hearing Tiffany break off her own engagement with Seung all because of him.

 

“What’s there to be confused of? I thought we still had feelings for each other? Why are you suddenly pushing me away? Siwon I did this because of you, of us. I know deep in your heart you still want this to work.” Tiffany was almost begging him. Unaware of what made Siwon all of a sudden a coward.

 

“Tiffany you’re confused. I’m confused. We can’t just be together like that, we don’t even have our personal lives settled, and we’re not sure if this will work the second time a—“

 

“We will make it work! Why won’t you trust me?” she raises a voice at him. Wanting to shake him out of obscure reasoning. She was at the brink of tears, her voice shakes trying to persuade the man in front of her.

 

“Tiffany, I-I, I don’t know yet. I’m not ready.” he sighs deeply, but inside he wanted to hug her, kiss her and say yes but for a certain reason he can’t. Siwon was much of a coward, he was afraid to make the same mistake and get everyone he loves broken twice.

 

“Well I can’t wait for you anymore. Make a decision. Or I’m leaving. “, she spats without a wink. Siwon grew in shock of what she said.’ Leaving for good? Why was she making these insane jeopardies?’ was all he thought of. Siwon didn’t want Tiffany to leave, but he didn’t want to make a hasty decision just because he feels so. He promised to himself that he will be man about it, and don’t let any emotion foretell his decisions. Siwon didn’t want to cause pain again. He was just thinking ahead.

 

Tiffany waited for his answer, expectant that he would agree of them getting back together. Her worried eyes were set to his focus, and Siwon avoided that gaze. Time went by so slow and every second that passes was an agony to their hearts.

 

“I’m sorry. I can’t.”

 

And he watched her set off, somewhere she’s invulnerable to the pain he’s causing right now.

PRESENT

 

“Daddy! Is this okay?” Lauren twirled around in front of her father. Showing the pink dress she picked for the day. Siwon smiled realizing how big Lauren has gotten ever since then. She’s now blossoming into a lady, much very like Tiffany.

 

“You look gorgeous my princess.” He opened his arms and Lauren attacked him with a warm, loving hug. A little tear escaped his eyes, maybe the next time she’ll be seeing Lauren, she’ll be practically a lady. It pains him so much knowing that a choice he should have done earlier could ease this situation now.

 

“Wait for me downstairs okay honey? Dad will get dressed.” Siwon sat on his bed. He couldn’t get moving yet, anxious of what will happen today. Yes, he told Lauren that she’ll be seeing her mom today, but the truth is, Siwon will give her to Tiffany’s custody, like what they have talked about beforehand.

 

It was hard for him. To persuade someone he rejected before.
 

FLASHBACK

 

Months have passed, Siwon’s decision of letting Tiffany go bugged him. He kept wondering what if he took all his apprehensions away and actually took the risk. He could be a much happier man right now. Days and nights, there wasn’t a single moment that he did not think of Tiffany. Finally he made a valiant decision to follow her to New York. He doesn’t know what fate awaits for him, or would Tiffany would even accept him back.

 

Then again, there’s no harm in trying.

 

“How are you?” he was stunned, like it was the first she laid her eyes on her. No lies, Tiffany has gotten a whole lot prettier than the last time they saw each other. He tries to suppress his smile, but somehow it was too obvious for the girl to notice it.

 

“You still have that mischievous smile.” She retorts, eager to continue their casual conversation.

 

“You’re still gorgeous, a lot more gorgeous I should say.” He said as he fixes his tie. Tiffany avoided his deep stare and looked out the café window. Her heart started to beat like crazy when she felt Siwon intently staring at her.

 

“How’s Lauren? It’s been months since we last met, what did she say?” Tiffany shifted their conversation into a much more common ground.

 

“She’s fine. I-I told her you’ll be back soon and…” he stopped as he remembered his purpose of flying out to see her.

 

“and?”

 

“I-uh, Tiffany. I-um, I-I wanted to--, um, if we could, uh, settle this and get back together?” finally he breathes it out. Siwon felt so stupid that time, like he wanted to get out and stop pleading, but his heart told him that it was the right thing to do.

 

Tiffany let out a small smile and continued to lose herself from the cityscape outside the coffee shop. She breathes deeply, trying to analyze what Siwon just said. Was it the same thing she was asking a few months ago? Now, he was the one asking for it. Fate could be a player, and indeed, it was played well.

 

“Siwon, like you said it’s not that easy.” She started off.

 

“But I’m willing to do everything. Anything.” Siwon held her hand and leaned in closer. Tiffany felt her heart skip a beat and currents flow in her whole body. That sudden touch made her think twice, or was it actually made her to say yes.

 

“Siwon… Months after you left me without a trace, it was not that easy for me to make it all up and move on. Now that I’m at it, I can’t just give that up…” she said, and Siwon’s wordless reply was eyes in the brink of tears.

 

“But I need you, Lauren needs you, I know it won’t be easy but can’t we at least try?” Siwon was close to kneeling. He held her hands tighter and tried to meet her eyes with his. Eyes that are full of emotion, and love, the only thing he’s hopeful for.

 

“Siwon, I-I can’t.”

 

“Please? Tiffany, please?”

 

“I’m coming back to Korea, if that’s what you want, but I’ll be bringing Lauren with me.” She bitterly replies. It was against her will but she thinks what’s best for the both of them.

 

Siwon stopped on his tracks. Now it’s coming back to him. How hurt Tiffany must have been, and how they have traded places in a short span of time. They can’t really work out he thinks, enough of trying.

 

PRESENT

 

*door bell*

 

“Lauren honey, can you get the door for daddy?” Siwon who was busy packing Lauren’s things shouted from the room. After making sure he got everything, he zipped the bag and went downstairs to stow them on the back of the car.

 

Lauren ran to get the door and when she opened it, someone she didn’t expect greeted her with a warm smile.

 

“How’s my sweetie pie doing?”

 

“Mommy!”

***

Siwon was double checking Lauren’s things as he stowed them in the trunk. He sat by the open trunk and breathed deeply. Their parting will be a sweet sorrow and for one, he will be seeing Tiffany again. He tried to piece his mind together, thinking of what to say, do, when Lauren finally sets with the truth that she will not see her daddy for a long time.

 

“Daddy! Mommy’s here!” Lauren shouted from inside the house.

 

“We’re going in a few minutes baby. Dad’s just checking the car!” he shouted. Siwon did not understand what she said but he heard the word mommy. He thought Lauren was nagging again to leave because she’s eager to see Tiffany.

 

Siwon stood up and erased the sentiment in his mind. He closed the trunk and a familiar figure was standing just across his car.

 

“Hi.”, she smiles, like nothing was to happen that day.

 

“Um, hi.” he replies.

 

They were both speechless for a moment but realizing the awkward situation they were in, they broke out in a small laughter.

 

“Um, what a surprise, I thought we were going to see you at the hotel. Uh, I just packed Lauren’s things and…”

 

“Daddy can you help me with this?” Lauren showed up by the backyard pushing a pink luggage bag with all her might. Siwon saw what Lauren was holding, and he has a faint idea what this was. His eyes shifted to Tiffany and she was smiling all this time.

 

“Daddy? Where will we put mommy’s things?” Lauren asked innocently.

 

“Sweetheart, do you mind if daddy and mommy will talk for a while?” he smiles. Knowing something good will be on for the three of them.

 

***

 

Siwon just got out of the shower and saw Tiffany lying down his bed. Well, technically now, it’s their bed. Tiffany sees him standing by the bathroom’s doorway staring at her, she smiles at him and scoots to the side, telling him to climb up next to her.

 

He slowly tucks himself inside the blanket, not separating his gaze to hers. Tiffany can’t help but smile at his innocent gestures. He has been like that the whole day, like he was weirded out by their setup.

 

“Are you okay?” she giggles, showing those heart-melting eyesmiles and her set of perfect white teeth.

 

“Um, yeah. I’m good, it’s just that, I’m not really used to, um, sleeping next to someone.” He hangs his head down low from the confession.

 

“Oh, um. I can sleep next to Lauren if you—“

 

“Um, no.” Siwon pulls her waist close to his body. Tiffany stared at him, it was the first time in years that they were this close. Siwon holding her close to sleep. “I like you here. I want you here. Next to me.” he says without a stutter. Tiffany couldn’t hold it in anymore she kissed Siwon before snuggling in his embrace. It was the things she wanted to do, knowing that he was a skinship addict.

 

“You didn’t bring any pink PJs?” he initiated small talk. Tiffany was wearing Siwon’s oversized Hanes and one of his boxer shorts.

 

“No, because I like wearing your shirts.” She laughs pinching his nose on the process.

 

“What if I will wear your pink PJs, so it would be fair.” Siwon teased making Tiffany chuckle.

 

“Ani-yo. I won’t let you. Pink’s my favorite remember? You’ll ruin my PJs. Maybe I’ll just buy you pink Hanes. Sounds good?” she looks up to him, but Siwon had another thing in mind. He took the chance and kissed Tiffany'’ lips.

 

“Sweet. Haha!” he mocks her.

 

“Opportunist!” she tucks inside the blanket and pretended to be asleep. Siwon got amused of how quick her mood changes. He grabs her close to him again and made sure she was leaning on his frame.

 

“I love you Mommy. Thank you for not giving up on me.” He whispered softly in her ears. Tiffany kept a smile while she drifted to sleep. This time they were both secure, both sure that the life they always wanted was not an easy one, but it was worth the try.

-----------------------------------------

A/N: FIN~ Thanks to all the subbies! :D Don't forget to tell me how was it by commenting! :D hehe! Til the next fic~ Baiiiiii~

p.s. Please vote for SNSD at the 2013 MNet Music Awards. YAYYYYY!

p.s. 2 and of course at the YouTube Music Awards! :D