Chapter 3

When I Was Your Man

“She should be here any minute now.” Siwon walked back and forth on the front door, waiting for a certain someone. He couldn’t keep his focus the past few days, he was thinking what could he do for her, it was a rare occasion that her ex is coming over for dinner. All thanks to his parents.

 

“Oppa, can you calm down a bit? I’m getting dizzy watching you walk back and forth.” Sooyoung massaged her temples from observing her restless brother. She smiles at the thought that Siwon was anxious, that way it proved that Siwon still have feelings for Tiffany, and this time it was not a secret to Sooyoung anymore.

 

*ding dong*

 

Siwon stopped on his tracks hearing the doorbell. Their butler attended to the door and opened it for the expected guest. Right then and there, he saw Tiffany dressed nicely with their daughter beside her holding her hand.

 

“Daddy!”

“Aw, my princess!” he picked Lauren up just like every time they have their father and daughter time. He chuckles at the sight of his young one, but the attention wasn’t on her for long, Siwon shifted his eyes to the lady following Lauren. It was Tiffany standing in front of him, all smiles, just like before…

 

FLASHBACK

 

Siwon waited outside Tiffany’s home. It was a banquet night for the seniors who will be graduating in a few weeks, and as expected, Siwon took Tiffany as his date for the event.

 

“She’ll be down in a minute sweetheart.” Tiffany’s mom, out of nowhere patted his back. Siwon stood up, patiently waiting for her princess to come down. His hands were hidden behind his back, clutching pink roses for her date. He had no idea what kind of flowers to pick but when he went to the florist, Siwon tried his best to pick the prettiest pick in the shop.

 

Before he knew it, Tiffany was walking down the stairs which slowly revealed her elegance for that night. Siwon’s heart almost stopped, she was breathtakingly beautiful, by the way her hair was tied up to a bun, the red dress that accented her shoulders and those expressive eyes that melts his soul. She is perfect in every way at that moment, and Siwon followed her tracks with his unmet, deep gaze.

 

“Oh, sweetheart what took you so long?” Tiffany’s mom called her attention.

 

“I misplaced my shoes but its okay I got them.” She smiles, showing again those crescent moon eyes and her white set of teeth. Siwon was still on a daze.

 

“Shall we?” it was supposed to be Siwon’s cue but Tiffany said it after noticing Siwon speechless, but the lad seemed to be lost in his own world.

 

“Uh? Siwon? We’re gonna be late if we’ll just stand here.” Tiffany tugged his arms, Siwon shook his head and smiled at her. How embarrassing he just thought.

 

He led her to his car and opened the door for his lady. Suddenly he remembered the flowers he got for Tiffany. He stretched out his hand, holding the flowers and presented it to Tiffany. Siwon felt proud doing so, surely everyone at the party will be greening with envy once they see how stunning she is tonight.

 

“For you my lady. You look absolutely dashing tonight.” Now his words were coming to a conclusion and finally cooperating.

 

“What’s this for Siwon?” she chuckles as she took the flowers out of his hand.

 

“For you. I couldn’t let this evening pass without letting you know that I really, really appreciate you.” He bows his head, unaware of the cheesy line he just said.

 

“Silly, but thank you, and even though I don’t have something, I want you to know that I appreciate you too.” She smiled.

 

“You don’t have to give anything. You staying with me is enough.” Siwon said.

 

His sudden daydream was cut hearing boisterous laughter fill the dinner table.

 

“Remember that one time when all of us went to Japan? Siwon was so scared to heights he didn’t want to go with us to Tokyo Tower.” His father teased, then everyone came laughing again like it was one of those normal family dinners they had when Tiffany was living with him.

 

“Siwon was really disappointed then, I kept on bugging him to go but we ended up fighting.” Tiffany chuckles and joins the discussion. Siwon plastered an unkempt smile since his mom and dad kept glancing at him.

 

“Are you still afraid of heights Siwon?” she asks. Siwon turned her head to Tiffany’s direction. Again, she initiated small talk that he took for another thing. Although Siwon’s mind says don’t go for it, his heart yearns again for Tiffany. Every little thing she does, it’s like sending motivation for him to pursue.

 

“Who, uh me? I’m not anymore.” He grins confidently.

 

“Really?” she raised her eyebrows on amusement.

 

“Yeah. I’m not afraid of heights anymore! But I still don’t think going to Japan for the tower is a good idea.” He chides cockily causing everyone to burst in merriment again.

 

T’was a good time. Good old times.

 

***

“So did you drive all the way to here?” Mrs. Choi asked as she escorted Tiffany to the front door.

 

“Um, no Lauren and I just took a cab. Seunghyun is out of town and he’ll arrive home tonight so…”

 

“Siwon, dear?” Siwon’s mom called out. Siwon was on the phone talking to some client when he heard his mother called him.

 

“Yeah mom?”

 

“Siwon, can you drive Tiffany home? It’s not safe to take a cab at this hour, and I was thinking if you could uh, oh. Hm, maybe I should ask ahjusshi-“

 

“Um, no. Mom, it’s uh. Fine. I’ll drive them home. By myself.” Siwon then volunteers. Somehow at that moment, he doesn’t know how to feel. Should he be awkward by the feeling? Or should he take this chance as his move to win her back?

The car stopped in front of Tiffany’s house. The car ride was silent, all because Lauren was asleep in Tiffany’s arms. Siwon couldn’t keep his eyes on the road, yet he couldn’t know why. Is it because Tiffany was beside him or because Lauren was asleep next to him, making them a picture perfect family.

 

“Thanks for tonight Siwon.” Tiffany tries to lower down her voice not to wake up little Lauren.

 

“No, um, thank you. I mean, I should be the one, thanking you.” Siwon said.

 

Tiffany was motioning to go out when Siwon called her back.

 

“Hey um, Tiffany.” There was hesitation in his voice.

 

“Yeah Siwon?”

 

“Um, Lauren wanted something for her birthday.” He starts.

 

“Oh, she hasn’t mentioned anything to me yet. What is it?”

 

“She wants to go to um, Disneyland.” Siwon fidgets on his fingers deciding if he should ask her or not.

 

“Are you taking her along with Sooyoung?”

 

“Um no. Actually, she wanted you.” Looks like Siwon has no choice but to break the ice.

 

“Me?”

 

“Yeah. You and me. Um, with her.” He cursed himself a million times after saying that. Right now, all he could read in Tiffany’s face is awkwardness and total unease. He thought that Tiffany got the wrong idea, but it was too late to bail out. Now, he’s back to square one.

 

“Oh, hm. Okay. Then, just. Tell me when, alright?”

 

Siwon did not expect the sudden reply from Tiffany that fast, and most of all, it was positive. He tried hard to convene the happiness that was bursting inside of him. Maybe she has still a part of me too. Siwon thinks.

 

***

“Where have been?” Tiffany was questioned other than being greeted by Seunghyun.

 

“Visited Siwon’s parents. They wanted to see Lauren.” She made an alibi because if she spats out the truth, it would be a long night of fuss for the both of them.

 

“Late at night? Without even telling me?” Seunghyun started to raise his voice at Tiffany, truthfully sensing other intentions than visiting Siwon’s parents.

“I tried to call you earlier but you were not picking up.” She kept in her cool while hurriedly tucking Lauren to bed before she could be woken up by their conversation. Tiffany knows Seunghyun so much, and she knows that this thing won’t come off until her boyfriend gets into details.

 

“Why did Siwon drive you here?” he spans into another point.

 

“It’s too late for a cab, that’s why he drove us here.” Tiffany argued, holding her voice low.

 

“Why didn’t you call me so I picked you up?” he contended.

 

“You’re tired. And so am I, and besides nothing happened. It’s just a dinner Seunghyun, please, just stop what you’re thinking.” Tiffany closed the bathroom door for some alone time. She didn’t want to continue anymore.

 

“How can I!? When every time that guy comes around here, I see you exchange glances with him?! This is too much for my comfort Tiffany! I hope you realize how frustrated I am with what’s happening!” Seunghyun shouted from the outside. His words, pierced through Tiffany’s heart that she started to cry. The reasons were quite unclear, is she crying because Seunghyun thought this way? Or is it because she found her way in Siwon again, but he was at a wrong time?

 

***

 

Siwon was preparing to go home when his phone rang. The ID said it was Tiffany and without a second wasting, he found a way to answer his phone despite his current chore of sorting his paperworks.

 

“Hello Tiff?” he didn’t intend to call her that way but somehow he felt like saying it.

 

“Daddy!” turns out that it was Lauren on the line.

 

“Oh, Lauren! Why did you call? Where’s mommy? Missing dad huh baby?” he was surprised but either way he was glad to take the call.  

 

“Mommy? He’s with Uncle Seung right now, we are going to Uncle Seung’s parents tomorrow.” Lauren said.

 

“For vacation?” he asked.

 

“Daddy, mommy’s getting married soon! Uncle Seung proposed to her earlier.”