Chapter 5

When I Was Your Man

*ring ring*

A phone call disturbed his slumber. He shot up, cursing under his breath. Siwon wished that he wouldn’t wake up from the wonderful dream he had. Everything was perfect, except for one thing. It was unreal, and it only existed in his faint memory.

 

Siwon’s mind was blank for a few seconds, remembering how vivid everything felt in the dream. Tiffany. The name was like a beautiful nightmare to him. It took a while before the torn man had his senses back, and the phone sitting on his bedside table won’t stop from ringing. Glancing on the clock just beside where his phone was, it was only 3 in the morning and definitely nothing from work would have sprung up this time. Not even a single reason to be disturbed from his rest.

 

He reached for the phone, not wanting to know who the caller was.

 

“Hello?” he sounded irritated, wanting to make the person on the other line guilty.

 

“Siwon, Lauren’s rushed to the hospital.”

 

Not a single minute was wasted, Siwon dashed to get his car keys and leave to come in rescue for his only daughter. Hearing Tiffany’s trembling voice on the line added to his worry. She wouldn’t call if the situation was in control, moreover, it was in the middle of the night when this unfortunate event happened and panic could have added to both of their doubts.

 

***

“She’s fine, but I’m afraid she has to stay a few more days here for observation. The fever will subside, it’s just a defense mechanism of the child’s body.” Siwon volunteered himself to talk to Lauren’s doctor, somehow his mind went at ease knowing that his daughter’s situation was not as alarming as he thought it was. After a few words from the attending physician, Siwon came inside the hospital room only to see Tiffany hugging Lauren to sleep.

 

He watched them with a yearning heart. How he wished that he could be with them again, as a family. Siwon cleared his throat and Tiffany saw him awkwardly standing by the doorway.

 

“The doctor said she’ll be alright but it might take a couple of days before she could go home. I think there will be observations on her condition, but everything’s fine. Lauren will be okay.” His eyes met hers. Siwon knew that those eyes were filled with concern for their kid. He wanted to make it easy for her by letting her know that he was there for her, and for Lauren. Siwon wanted to hug Tiffany tight in his arms. Make her feel secure under his care. Once again, be her loving husband.

 

Tiffany did not utter a word and nodded meekly at Siwon. “By the way, did you drive Lauren all alone to here? Where’s Seunghyun?” he asked noticing that Tiffany’s fiancé was not around, but Tiffany did not respond. She hung her head down low and tried to avoid Siwon’s curious stare.

 

“Hey, is everything alright Tiffany?” he couldn’t help it anymore. Siwon touched her arms wanting her to feel his presence. He got more surprised when Tiffany pulled him close and started crying in his arms. Siwon froze feeling Tiffany grip onto his jacket and cry as hard as she can, his hands were tucked in his sides, eager to soothe her back and pull him into his embrace but somehow he can’t. He doesn’t want to take advantage of the situation. Seeing Tiffany in her weakest point, somehow stings his heart too.

 

***

“Why is Seunghyun not with you, Tiffany?” he asked again. This time she was calmer, they were both seated inside Lauren’s room in the hospital. They had hushed voices so that the younger won’t be bothered from her sleep.

 

“A week after that dinner, Seunghyun proposed to me.” She answered in her trembling voice. Siwon recollected how Lauren called her to say that her mommy’s engaged with that man. The feeling still lingers, how he wished that he manned up to Tiffany and got her back, because the last thing he wanted to see was watch her get married with someone else.

 

“I know, Lauren called me. She said you we’re engaged and you guys were going to Seunghyun’s parents over the weekend. But I still don’t understand Tiffany, what does it have to do with—“

 

“I called off the engagement Siwon.”

 

He was not prepared for that brave answer of hers, and the truth came rushing, right onto his face.

 

FLASHBACK

 

“Are you free tonight? Can I ask you out for dinner?” Seunghyun wrapped his arms around Tiffany who was busy watching TV. Tiffany looked at him with all interest, this was a good side of Seunghyun that he never fails to surprise Tiffany in every way that he can.

 

“But we can’t leave Lauren alone, and it’s a weekday. Maybe on Friday we can go out, since Siwon will pick Lauren up.” She suggests, trying to brush away the thought of going out for dinner. But in the back of her mind, Tiffany had something inside of her when she said Siwon’s name. It was like excitement over the chance of seeing him again over the weekend when he picks up Lauren from their house.

 

“We won’t go far, just a dinner here at home, but I want it to be special. A romantic dinner backyard. Sounds good, yes?” he nuzzles his face on Tiffany’s hair, smelling its flowery, sweet scent.

 

“What’s up? I-I mean, you’re so spontaneous.” Tiffany cheekily smiles at Seunghyun.

 

“I have something to say for the most beautiful person in my life.”, he breathes out. Seunghyun felt excitement and anticipation as he imagined how good that night would be for the both of them, but on the contrary, Tiffany felt guilt. She doesn’t know it yet but the feeling that something was up that night may change both of their lives forever.

 

“Thank you for coming to this dinner with me Tiffany.” Seunghyun raised his wine glass and Tiffany did too. Truthfully, he sounded like he was up to something serious later that night and that didn’t make Tiffany be at ease. These past few days, she kept thinking about Siwon since the night of their dinner with his family. Siwon. He sure did change a lot but his heart, was still the young heart that made her feel loved.

 

“Seunghyun…”

 

“Tiffany, I would like to ask you something.” He plastered an unkempt but sincere smile, maybe because his insides were turning upside down.

 

“Seunghyun, I-I need to tell you something. Seunghyun I-“

 

“Will you marry me, Tiffany?” before she could tell what has been going on with her recently, she saw Seunghyun kneel at her front and show her the shiny ring resting on a velvet box. His smile was evident, hoping for a yes from her, but slowly it turns into worry when Tiffany sat there speechless and a blank face to his offer.

 

“Seunghyun, you need to know something.” Tiffany pleaded, trying to pull Seunghyun up from his kneeling position. She has decided that she can’t give Seunghyun false hopes, she can’t let him hurt more in the end. The choice was hers to make and dragging her current boyfriend longer into the story would only make the confusing situation she was in, grow complicated.

 

“Tiffany, please?” he refused to stand up and almost begged for her hand by the tone he sets it.

 

“Seunghyun…”

 

“Tiffany, please? Will you marry me? I can’t live without you.” He was close to pleading his own life for Tiffany to say yes and wear that ring. His eyes were watery, as if losing hope, and anytime he would break down into fragile pieces and hurt himself in the process.

 

“Seunghyun. I-I, I will marry you.”

 

“Yes! I love you Tiffany! I promise I’d make you the happiest woman in the world with me. Thank you.” Seunghyun slid the ring on one of her slender fingers and hugged her real tight. He was smiling all the time, knowing he got his only wish of being engaged to her, what he doesn’t know, an obscure feeling was waiting to be revealed.

 

But she felt pathetic. She felt like the worst kind of person she could ever be. She has committed a sin to her own expense. Lying to herself.

 

***

The next day, Seunghyun woke up to an empty bed. He smiles thinking that Tiffany might be busy downstairs cooking breakfast. They were about to leave that day to come over to Seunghyun’s parents and tell them about the engagement, but before he could check downstairs and greet his lovely wife-to-be, he sees a familiar thing lying by the bedside table.

 

It was the engagement ring and it rested on a piece of folded paper.

 

Seunghyun got up to see what this means, he opened up the paper and it showed Tiffany’s handwriting of a short letter.

 

Seunghyun,

 

I’m sorry if I can’t say it to you face to face, I’ve been trying to find the opportunity but you gave me a hard time to choose. In the end, I tried to live with what you wanted and said yes to marry you. But I can’t lie anymore Seung, I can’t make another mistake and I can’t live with a lie. Not to you, and not to myself.

 

You are a great guy Seunghyun, you deserve someone other than me. Someone who will love you as much as you love her. I’m sorry if I have hurt you with this sudden decision Seunghyun, but there’s no easy way to do this. I believe this will set the both of us free.

 

Always take care.

 

Tiffany

 

Seunghyun searched the whole house and he noticed that her things were stowed out of the closet. He came in Lauren’s room and saw most of her stuff too missing. That’s when the truth came sinking, she left for good.

 

PRESENT

 

Siwon could not believe what he has just heard. He doesn’t know how to react or what to say, Tiffany was there in front of him. The slightest chance of getting her back was now an easy tenet. He just wanted to know if this was a mutual feeling. 

---------------------------------

A/N: THE END IS NEAR. MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Kidding, just a chapter to go :D