The Meeting

My Only Exception

Dormitory cafeteria, a week later


"Enough is enough; I literally can't stand this anymore."

The four guys on the dining table looked up upon hearing the familiar voice of Jonghyun, who stood before their table with his hands carrying a tray of his breakfast: a bowl of beef over rice, grapefruit juice and walnut cookies. He looked at the men with an annoyed look on his face and dark circles below his eyes that seemed darker already.

Jonghyun quickly threw his Kanken backpack on the empty side of the table as his left hand pulled out a vacant chair.

"It's been a week since the last time I could call the room I share with Yonghwa hyung as 'our room'," Jonghyun went on with his complaint before anyone on the table raised the question. "Since then, it's his room. I am only a routine visitor."

"It's been hard for you..." Jungshin said with a worried look on his face.

"For us, Jungshin-ah—It's been hard for us," Minhyuk emphasized as he spooned a mouthful of bean sprout soup into his mouth.

Jinki, who was known as Onew in the Music Department, furrowed his eyebrows. "Please don't tell me this is still about Yonghwa and Seohyun."

As if saying "yeah, you think?", the three CNBLUE members threw Onew a tired look while munching on their breakfast.

"No kidding!" Minho widened his eyes in disbelief.

Onew and three other guys, Minho, Hongki and Jonghoon, lived next to CNBLUE's dorm in room 305. When Jungshin told them about Yonghwa's quarrel with Seohyun—which immediately turned ugly for the CNBLUE members—the 305 guys were concerned. Since the bickering had started, there were several times when Jungshin and Minhyuk did their assignments next door because they could not stand Yonghwa's composing routines, which appeared to be the leader's way to release his stress.

"I think they are still fighting over the same thing," Jungshin sneered, "He does not tell us about it anymore, but we assume it's getting worse."

"I don't know how to put this, but being in the same room with him is hard nowadays," Jonghyun said, almost too serious, "He keep arguing for hours on the phone every night. I repeat, e-ve-ry night. It drives me crazy."

"He wakes us up around 3 a.m. and say he has found a new inspiration for our next song. I think he's depressed," Minhyuk also chimed in.

"My sleeping habit has just started going back to normal, but these days I am only able to sleep around dawn since he always nags at night," Jonghyun continued.

Onew and Minho dropped their jaw, shocked by the fact that Yonghwa, the charismatic and one of the top student in the Music Department, could go beyond a typical crazy person when he got caught in the middle of romantic-bull quarrel.

Minho put down his fork and wiped his mouth with a tissue. "Have you called one of Seohyun's friends and asked for a help?"

The CNBLUE members stopped chewing their foods and stared at each other.

"YAH! That's it! Hyung, that's it!" Jungshin's face suddenly brightened up as he shook Jonghyun's wrist. "Aish, Minho-yah, why don't you tell this earlier!"

Minho rolled his eyes and muttered something like "why don't you think about it earlier".

"Who do you think we can call, Hyung?" Minhyuk asked to Onew, knowing that the latter was close to elder members of the SNSD.

"Hmm...  I think you can't call the senior noonas, like Tifanny or Hyoyeon. I am afraid they are busy with their final project nowadays," Onew said thoughtfully.

"Maybe you can call Sooyoung noona or... our sophomore friends!" Minho added as he pointed his forefinger to Jungshin.

Minhyuk clasped his hands and threw a meaningful look at Jonghyun, who was munching on his cookies.

"What?" Jonghyun asked bluntly. Why people seemed to depend on him a lot these days?

"Are you close with Seohyun's friends?" Minhyuk asked.

"Why me?" Jonghyun pointed his head to the maknae on the table. "Jungshin is close with Nicole, remember?"

Jungshin tapped his own forehead. He quickly d for his phone on his black leather jacket's pocket and dialed a familiar number.

Jonghyun and Minho were discussing the plan to visit the gym together in the afternoon when Jungshin suddenly squealed happily.

"Nicole? It's Jungshin!"


~~~

 

TOUS les JOURS Bakery, at the same time
 

The customers at the cafe were surprised when they heard loud voices yelling at each other. Two young women in their 20s, one with a long brown hair and tall figure while the other had shoulder-length black hair and milky white skin, argued over the last remaining of melon bread at the corner of the cafe.

The two, Sooyoung and Sora, had stuffed their empty stomaches with cinnamon rolls, cream cheese pastries, scones and coffee, but they were still hungry.

"Aish, these unnies," Nicole quickly snatched the melon bread and stuffed it into .

"Yah, Yongjoo-yah!" Sooyoung and Sora yelled at her, referring to Nicole by her birth name.

Nicole's phone suddenly rang and vibrated on the table. "Hello?"

"Nicole? It's Jungshin!" a familiar voice greeted her happily, "Where are you now? Are you busy?"

"Jungshin-ah! I am at the bakery with Sooyoung unnie and Sora unnie. What's up?"

"Is that so? Well, listen. I—we actually—need your help. Maybe also the noonas help."

Nicole furrowed her eyebrows. "Help? For what?"

Jungshin sounded like he was letting out a deep sigh. "We just can't stand Yonghwa hyung's childish tantrums anymore. We think we need to step in before things turn much worse. That's why we need your help."

"Ah! Honestly, we have also thought about calling one of you, but we were busy with our own schedules," Nicole paused. "So, what's the plan?"

She could hear the sound of Jungshin speaking with some guys on the other side for awhile. "Hmm... can you meet me tonight?"

"Tonight?" Nicole tried remembering her schedule, "Ah, I can't... I have to go out of the university area with Sora Unnie. How about tomorrow?"

"Hmm... we have a band practice schedule tomorrow. It's too bad though, we really want to discuss the matter as soon as possible."

Nicole bit her lower lip as she tried to seek for solutions. An idea suddenly popped up in her mind when she took a glance at Sooyoung. "Wait, I'll let you talk to Sooyoung unnie."

Sooyoung mouthed inaudible "why?", but instead of explaining, Nicole just shoved her phone to Sooyoung's ear.

"Hello?" Sooyoung greeted.

"Aiyooo, Sooyoung Noona! It's Jungshin!" he said. 

Jungshin immediately proceed with explaining the matter to Sooyoung and asked the senior to meet him on the evening.

"Let's see... I don't have any plan tonight so perhaps I can come. Where to go?"

"That's a relief!" Jungshin squealed happily. "Well, where do you want to go, noona? I'll go along with you."

"Aw, how thoughtful of you," Sooyoung teased Jungshin, making Nicole and Sora threw her a disgusted look, "Then how about Cafe FRANCO?"

"The one nearby the Education Department's building?" Jungshin confirmed.

"Yes. So, I'll see you at 8?"

"Okay, 8 PM at Cafe FRANCO. See you soon, Noona!" Jungshin ended the call.

Sooyoung handed the phone back to Nicole, who had been staring at her impatiently. "So, are you going to meet him tonight?"

"Just make sure to get your hands off him, Sooyoung-ah," Sora threw Nicole a meaningful smile before she paused to sip her iced coffee. "Our Nicole likes him."

Nicole widened her eyes as she waved her hands in front of her obvious red face. "No! I don't like him!"


~~~

 

Cafe FRANCO, at night
 

08:07 PM.

 Aish, I think she's late. 

A tall man in ripped navy jeans, white t-shirt and black varsity jacket stared at his wrist watch as he mumbled to himself. 

Sometimes he hated being a punctual person. He often came to the meeting place earlier before the planned time, but always ended up waiting longer than he expected. Just like tonight.

He came straight to the cafe after he finished meeting his friends at the student center, which was nearby the cafe. He did not walk too far, however, he slightly regretted the fact that he did not take his scooter with him this morning. After meeting Sooyoung, he was supposed to run some errands and buy snacks for the members at the dorm.

As he sipped his hot caramel macchiato, he thought over the idea of stepping in to Yonghwa's problem. Usually, he was not the type who liked to meddle in other people's business, particularly because he felt that interference was not a right thing to do. The main reason was because he really respected people's feeling and he himself knew that he would not like it if someone meddle in his problems too.

Not to mention that the person in this matter was Yonghwa, a senior whom he respected more than anyone in his circle. So why did he agree to interfere with Yonghwa's private problem?

I guess the reason was something indescribable by human's ratio.

"Look, look... It is Im Yoona."

His thoughts were interrupted by a rather loud voice of a man sitting next to his table.

"I wonder who ishe's waiting for," another woman said, "She's so pretty, isn't she? I heard she used to go out with Taecyon."

He looked up to see the subject of the discussion at the next table and the center of attention that night: a woman in black jeans and knitted maroon sweater who was talking on her phone with comical eyes. He knew Im Yoona, one of Seohyun's friends and also SNSD member.

He unconsciously stared at her, casually staring at her hair, shoulders, legs and shoes. There was nothing special about her look since her style was plain, but he agreed with most people that Yoona was beautiful.

Ah, typical women nowadays. He shrugged his shoulders, not really care. 

He glanced at his wrist watch again. 08:16 p.m. He groaned, clearly regretting his own fault by not asking Nicole for Sooyoung's cellphone number.

Sooyoung was not a stranger to him and he could understand that the woman was active in many kinds of college activities. But again, he hated waiting, especially if he were alone.

As his patiance reached the limit, his phone suddenly vibrated on the table. He received a text.

"Oh, is that so," he mumbled, his right eyebrow raised as he read the text. He didn't know if he should be happy or not, but one thing for sure: he did not wait for nothing.

After taking one last sip of his coffee, he got up to his feet and walked towards the glass door.

And he stopped.

The woman in red who was sitting on the table near the front door looked up to see him. Her eyes widened in instant.

"Im Yoona-ssi?" the man greeted her.

"Ah, hello," Im Yoona stood up from her seat, slightly bowing to the person before her, "Lee Jonghyun-ssi. It has been awhile."

"Yes, it's been awhile. Anyway, I am sorry," that man—Jonghyun, to be exact—showed off his dimple smile, "I think I am the one whom you'll be meeting today."


 

BEEP! BEEP! 

One new message

Lee Jungshin
08:17 PM

Hyung, are you still there? Please don't be mad at me for suddenly
asking you to go there instead. I really have to finish my study group's project.
Sorry...
Anyway, Sooyoung noona texted me an hour ago, but I just read it 5 minutes
ago (again, sorry) and she said that she could not go to the meeting
because she suddenly had to see her dance lecturer.
So, Yoona noona will come instead. You still remember her, right?
I know you two used to see each other.
Sooyoung noona said Yoona noona knows the problems better than she

does and you also know Yonghwa hyung better than any of us. Perfect!
Don't forget: FIND YOONA NOONA.

I'll see you soon!

 


Author's Note:

Hello! Wow, the update is so fast, I am even amazed at myself. So how is it? You like this? 

Actually, I like cliffhanger moment. Just so you know :p

I'll try to update soon! Please comment and subscribe if you are interested. Thank you! xx