Monday Morning Lunatic

My Only Exception

It was a fine morning inside the SIU's Dormitory building 911 B, house no. 304.

Each member of the house was preoccupied with their own chores; Jungshin prepared breakfast in the kitchen while Minhyuk, the perfectionist, was busy checking his miniature of Gyeongju National Museum for his presentation. Jonghyun sat before his laptop on the dining table, quietly typing the assignment on Jane Eyre's literature review. Jonghyun was free on Monday, but the two younger brothers had classes at 3 p.m.

Apparently, not everyone enjoyed their morning leisurely.

The three men almost jumped in shock when Jung Yonghwa, their senior and leader, suddenly slammed his bedroom door loudly as he walked towards the living room.

"—WHAT? Now you are blaming me?! Is this how you defend yourself?" Yonghwa's voice echoed across the dorm.

"Shinhye is PAST! What's in the past, STAYS in the past. Now it's between you and him!"

"—Yah, you don't want to talk to me, Seo Joohyun? Hello? Hell—" Yonghwa cursed at his phone screen when the call seemingly ended one-sidedly.

Groaning in frustration, Yonghwa recklessly threw his phone to the sofa. He ran his fingers through his messy hair as he approached the dining table, ignoring three pairs of widened eyes that stared at him in confusion.

"Yah, give me a cup of hot coffee," Yonghwa said to Jungshin.

"Eh, hyung... you don't want the cold one? You usually—"

"Just give me the hot one, will you?" Yonghwa glared at him.

The maknae quickly the coffee machine while the other two guys kept staring at their eldest hyung in silence.

Jonghyun, who had been friends with Yonghwa since they lived in the same neighborhood in Busan, decided to step in. He closed his laptop and leaned his body forward with a worried look on his face.

"Hey what's wrong? Are you guys fighting?" Jonghyun asked carefully.

"Something bad happens?" Minhyuk got up to his feet and pulled a chair next to Yonghwa.

It had been six months since Yonghwa dated Seohyun, a second-year student in the Theatre department. They were an ultimate lovey-dovey couple and even Jonghyun could not stand to watch the two looked at each other as their interaction usually made his fingers crawled. Much to their knowledge, the two had never fought before so they assumed that today was probably the first time the couple got into a huge argument.

"It doesn't seem like you. You never yelled at any woman before," Jungshin paused, taking a quick glance at the man sitting across from Minhyuk, "Unlike someone we know."

"Yah, Lee Jungshin!" Jonghyun glared at the maknae, "We are trying to console Yonghwa hyung, not mocking me."

"After rejecting Goo Hara, he also turned down Im Jinah yesterday. What a guy," Jungshin stubbornly continued with his sarcasm.

Minhyuk's jaw dropped. "Im Jinah from Aerospace Engineering? Really? I have a crush on her since our first day of college!"

"Jonghyun hyung still maintains his role as the 'Ice Prince' even until his third year—"

"Can't you guys just shut up?!" Yonghwa yelled, making everyone in the room startled.

Jonghyun sighed deeply; he had somehow predicted that Yonghwa would explode since the first time Jungshin started blabbering nonsense. Exactly how many times should I tell them that Yonghwa hyung does not like noises when he tries to solve a problem in his head?

He took his time to stare at the two youngsters, one who kept stirring his ice coffee and the other who just blankly stared at him back, and mouthed an inaudible warning. "Don't. Ruin. This."

"Tell us what is wrong. Perhaps we can help you," Jonghyun said as he patted Yonghwa's hand. This is going to be difficult.


~~~

 

It was a usual morning for the girls inside the SIU's Dormitory building 911 D, house no. 711.

The dorm was quite empty since three of the six residents already left for their morning classes, leaving only Nicole and Yoona in the living room. They sat together on the couch, but none of them spoke to each other. Nicole was busy sketching designs for her pattern class assignment. Next to her, Yoona was watching Howl's Moving Castle with a bowl of strawberry ice cream on her hand.

It would have been their usual Monday, if only Seohyun had not rushed into the front door and thrown a basket of dirty laundry to the floor. The two girls were taken aback when Seohyun shouted to her phone, her voice cracking in tears.

"Why can't you trust me, Yonghwa oppa?! I did nothing wrong!"

"—tell that to Park Shinhye! See? Kyuhyun oppa was right—"

"ENOUGH! I don't want to talk anymore, oppa. I hate you!" with red face and teary eyes, Seohyun harshly ended the call.

Seohyun did not even bother to pick up the clothes on the entrance's rug. She threw herself to the couch in front of Yoona and Nicole, who stared at their junior with their mouth agape.

Yoona started to grasp the situation and quickly turned off the TV when Seohyun began to sob quietly. The two elder girls looked at each other, silently asking one another, just what the hell is going on?

"What's wrong?" Yoona sat next to Seohyun and put her arm around her shoulder.

"I think he fought with his boyfriend," Nicole whispered as she kneeled before Seohyun and patted her lap, "What happened?"

Without saying anything, Seohyun continued sobbing and wiping her own tears.

It was her first fight with Yonghwa during their six-month relationship. The quarrel started two days ago, but the argument turned worse each day. Seohyun first tought that things might change eventually, but the bickering just gradually turned bigger and out of control.

Seohyun stood up and slipped into her room, much to the surprises of Nicole. Knowing that Seohyun might need some time, Yoona grabbed Nicole's wrist when the latter tried to chase after Seohyun.

"Let her be. She wants to be left alone," Yoona whispered.

"And then what?" asked Nicole furiously, "What should we do after she's done wiping her tears?"

Yoona hummed, realizing that she did not know the answer to Nicole's question, let alone what to do to console someone who fought with her lover. She never got into serious relationship with anyone before.

Indeed, Yoona had gone out with some guys during high school and the first semester of college, but those were just casual dates, like eating together and going to the cinema. The dates never went as far to become real relationship. On second thought, Yoona could not even consider those experiences as real dates.

"Can I leave it to you? As you know, I 've never been in a relationship before, so..." Yoona said as she sunk her back deep on the couch.

" I know," Nicole smiled warmly as she got up and took a seat beside Yoona. "You know, sometimes I cannot understand you."

"Why?" Yoona frowned.

"You have so many guys chasing behind you, but it seems like none of them are qualified in your eyes."

Yoona pouted her lips, thinking about Nicole's words—which rang true, after all.

It was not only once or twice that Yoona received texts and phonecalls, as well as direct invitations for a date. Not to mention the guys who bravely confessed to her openly. Honestly, the guys were not bad at all. Let's see... Taecyon from International Relations department, Geunsuk from Theatre department and Donghae from Civil Engineering department... well, aren't all of them decent guys?

But Yoona rejected all of them, saying that she just wanted to be good friends. Afterwards, Yoona discovered the problem with men; they are very kind when they try to win your heart, but they would turn grumpy after you rejected their confession or refused to go out with them. They would say they could not be friends with you anymore and later, they just drift away.

Yoona could not understand such attitude and she hated it. In her view, men are never sincere when they approach her as a friend.

"Anyway, let's see what we can do," Nicole got to her feet," Come on. We need to be by her side and become good listeners."

Yoona followed Nicole to the room that the latter shared with Seohyun. They saw the maknae sitting on her bed with blank face, as if she was daydreaming.

"Seohyun-ah," Nicole called her roommate softly. Seohyun turned her head to look at them, her lips curled up into a faint smile.

"Finished crying?" Yoona teased Seohyun as she sat on the corner of Seohyun's bed, "Now, can you tell us what's wrong?"


~~~

 

"So, that's what happened," Yonghwa finished his story.

The three guys looked at each other, each biting into their own's lower lip.

After almost thirty minutes of listening to Yonghwa's story, the men finally
understood the problem between the couple.

"It's not my fault, is it?" asked Yonghwa again.

The three lowered their head, knowing that something (or more) was
still missing from Yonghwa's story: Seohyun's point of view.

Somehow, they also knew that they could not put the blame on Seohyun
only since they believed that Yonghwa also had his wrongdoings.

So, saying that the problem was because of Yonghwa's fault was wrong, but
saying that Yonghwa did not share the blame was... also not right.

"Have you... said sorry to her?" Jonghyun asked carefully.

"Why should I?" Yonghwa sneered.

"Well, you know. When you are in a relationship, you can at least comfort
your partner by saying sorry—"

"NO!" Yonghwa interrupted Minhyuk and stood up from his chair with
mixed emotions on his face. "She is the one who have to say sorry. Not me!"

Yonghwa left the other three to his room and shut the door. The loud bang
was followed by an apparent 'click' sound from the door's handle.

"Aishh... as if it's not my room, too," Jongyun murmured as he rested his
chin on his palm. "Those choding couple...."

 

"So, that's what happened," Seohyun concluded.

Yoona and Nicole stared at Seohyun with their eyebrows furrowed.
Seohyun looked back and forth at her sisters' faces,
wondering what they were thinking.

"So, it is not my fault, right?" she asked.

The other two stole a glance at each other in silence. They
shut their lips, obviously not knowing what to say. One thing
for sure, they could not say it out loud that Seohyun
also shared the blame in her quarrel with Yonghwa.

"Have you said sorry to him?" asked Yoona.

Seohyun frowned. Her nostrils expanded, her eyes looked confused.

"Why should I say sorry?"

Yoona stared at Nicole, as if saying "I don't even know why
I asked her that"
and the latter just sighed.

"Seohyun-ah, saying sorry doesn't only mean that you are
wrong. Sometimes it also means that you love him more
than the problem between you two."

Seohyun blinked her eyes and folded her arms
on her chest with her lips pouting.

"No, he is the one who have to say sorry. Not me!"

Yoona and Nicole sighed. This is going to be difficult.

 

 


Author's Note:

So, this is the first chapter. How is it?

There is not any interaction between Jongyoon couple, I am so sorry. You can still see this as the prologue, right? Well, one thing for sure: the next chapter will contain their interaction! And you are going to thank Yongseo couple for their lover's quarrel. I am sure of it.

So, please subscribe and comment if you are interested. I will update soon!

Thank you! xx

 

P.S:
Special thanks to: sonexoticelf, hikariburning, sakurabloom, novamp, cnsdjjang23. Hope I won't disappoint you!