More Than Enough

HYUNSAENG SHORT SHORT STORIES ♥♡♥♡

~Happiness is one in the world money can't buy~


 

 

 

Today was another ordinary day for another ordinary business man. 

Hyun Joong woke up at seven o'clock in the morning and yawned as he stretched, his eyes teary. It wasn't long before he washed up, ate a breakfast of congee and kimchi, before heading off to work. 

Still half asleep, the man dragged his feet across the sidewalk. His workplace was pretty close so he didn't bother taking his car since parking would be troublesome. He straightened his tie as he continued taking his time before suddenly, he felt water splash on him. Hurriedly, he took a step back, groaning when he realized that his suit was partially wet, and looked up to see that there was a open pipe dripping water. 

"What the heck..." he muttered his breath before he looked down and noticed a flower pot with a dried up shrub in it. It looked as if it had been abandoned. Involuntarily, he smiled and picked up the large pot and placed it underneath the dripping pipe, letting the water run into the flower pot. 

He sighed in content as he shook the water out of his hair and walked faster down the street towards his work place. 

"Whoa, hyung, what happened?" a tall orange-haired man asked when Hyun Joong walked in. 

Hyun Joong sighed. "Just... some accident on my way here."

The latter snorted as he rolled his eyes. "And you would obviously do that on purpose."

"Quit joking around, Jung Min," said Hyun Joong sternly as he headed towards the elevator. "I'll go clean myself up before the meeting."

"Yeah, yeah, take your time. There's still half an hour before it starts. You're early."

Hyun Joong scoffed. "And so are you."


Hyun Joong managed to dry most of his suit and his air in the washroom before the meeting. No one noticed that he had walked under a leaking pipe on his stroll to work. 

After the meeting, he sighed in relief and checked the clock. It was time to lunch. 

"Hey, Kyu Jong, wanna come with me for lunch?" he asked another young man who was working at his desk. 

"Ah, no thanks. I gotta finish this first," Kyu Jong answered as he turned back to his computer. 

Hyun Joong nodded and headed out on his own, hands stuffed in his pockets. Heading down the street, he went to where he usual had his lunch. After ordering his usual, rice with curry and a giant chicken wing, he seated himself outside the restaurant to enjoy his lunch in fresh air. He breathed in the oxygen and dug into his meal. 

Before long, he felt a nudge at his elbow. The business man looked down at his side to see a large, caramel brown dog staring up at him with large, begging eyes. He blinked, not knowing what the dog wanted. It didn't take long for him to figure out though, due to the way the animal was staring at his lunch. He grabbed the chicken wing and gave it to the dog. It took it without hesitance and placed it on the ground by Hyun Joong's feet, excitedly munching at it. 

Hyun Joong sighed as he reached down and gently pet the dog. 'He must've been hungry... I wonder where's he's been this whole time.'


After work, Hyun Joong liked to take a different route home that included a stroll through a park. He thanked the heavens for blessing him with such a convenient work place. 

Right before he entered the park, he spotted an elderly lady struggling to push her food stand up the curb of the sidewalk. Without a second thought, he hurried over and threw his bag down and grabbed the cart. The lady looked at him in surprise. 

"Thank you so much, young man," she said with a grateful smile. He nodded back and continued to push the cart up. When they finally got it up where the lady wanted it, he felt as if he had accomplished something. 

"Here, a meat bun as a token of my gratitude," she said as she rolled up a steaming meat bun from her cart and handed it to Hyun Joong. "Thank you very much."

"It was my pleasure," Hyun Joong said coolly, trying to act as if it were nothing, but it was hard to do that when his face was red and sweat was dripping down his temple. 

Holding the meat bun, he picked up his bag, dusted it off before starting on his way again. His chest was bursting with pride as he felt like he had done a good deed. 

He started his relaxing through the park, taking off his business jacket when it got slightly too warm and enjoying the gentle breeze. He closed his eyes and stood there, taking in the fresh air. He took a few steps forward and when he opened his eyes again, he caught two figures kneeling in the corner of his eye. He turned to see a young man with a small boy beside him, both kneeling on a thin dirty sheet. The little boy was holding up a cup at his forehead, his head hung low, while the older man had his palms clasped together in front of him, as if praying. Both looked as if they hadn't showered in weeks and were covered in dust. Hyun Joong read the small sign they had in front of them: For Education. 

Feeling sympathetic and pity, he grabbed his wallet and looked inside. He didn't have much today and had spent most of his money on his lunch. However, he hurriedly took out the two 10,000 won bills out of his wallet and rolled them up, placing them in the small cup. 

The little boy looked up at him, eyes watery. The older man noticed and thanked him, bowing low. He nodded and remembered the meat bun he had in his hands. 

Kneeling down, he unwrapped it and handed it to the older man. Moving a little closer to the latter, he got a closer look at him. Underneath the dust and the unkempt hair were eyes of sincerity and sadness. Hyun Joong took the man's hand and placed the meat bun in his palm. 

"Here, this is all I have right now," said Hyun Joong with an smile of empathy. "You look like you haven't eaten in days. Here, you should eat and use some of that money to buy water."

As he moved away, he caught a glimpse of teary eyes before the latter looked away and thanked him with a small voice. Hyun Joong nodded and stood up before walking away. 


The next morning was the same as any other morning in his small apartment. He woke up at his usual time, washed up, changed his clothes, ate his breakfast before strolling off to work. 

This time, however, instead of simply enjoying the time to himself, he began to notice things around him. He placed the flower pot underneath the same leaking pipe as someone had moved it away at some point of the day yesterday. He picked up a few stray cans on the side walk and threw them in the garbage cans when he didn't know where the recycling bins were. 

He arrived to work early again and diligently completed his assignments. He ordered his usual during his lunch break and just like the day before, there was a nudge at his elbow. He saw the dog again and smiled gently before handing him the chicken wing. The dog eagerly bit into it and began to devour it. 

On his way home, he helped out the elderly lady again and earned himself two free meat buns this time. And when he strolled into the park, he caught sight of the two kneeling at the side of the sidewalk. Everything was like yesterday and he felt a warm glow in his heart as he took out his wallet and put in 50,000 won. 

"Here," he said, kneeling down again and giving the man his two meat buns. 

The latter bowed and took them gratefully. "Thank you so much."

Hyun Joong nodded and stepped over to the little boy who had put the cup down and was looking up at him with wide eyes. "What's your name?"

The little boy looked over at the man, as if asking for permission to give out personal information. The man nodded with a slight smile, gesturing over to the business man. 

"H-Hyung Jun..." the little boy squeaked, feeling slightly intimidated by the larger man. 

Hyun Joong smiled warmly and reached out, gently ruffling the little boy's short brown hair. "Hyung Jun... that's a cute name. I'm Hyun Joong. It's similar, right? Do you know how to write your name?"

Hyung Jun nodded. "N-neh... h-hyung taught me how to."

"Oh? Are you his hyung?" Hyun Joong asked the man. 

The latter nodded. "Neh."

"How about your parents? I thought you were his dad."

The latter smile turned sad and Hyun Joong immediately regretted asking that question. He was about to open his mouth to say that the man didn't have to answer the question, but the latter spoke before he could do anything. 

"Our parents passed away a while ago..."

Hyun Joong's heart fell as he gazed at the man. Huffing, he stood up. "It was nice meeting you. I didn't get your name."

"My name is Young Saeng. Thank you for everything."

The business man smiled widely and nodded. "You're welcome."


From that day on, this became his daily routine. In the morning, he put the flower pot underneath the leaking pipe and soon, beautiful small white flowers bloomed from its branches. At lunch, he would meet the dog and each time, he would give him a chicken wing or two to eat. After work, he would help the elderly lady with her meat bun stand and when he strolled in the park, he would have a little chat with Young Saeng and Hyung Jun before heading home, feeling more accomplished than ever. 

After nearly two weeks, he headed out to work and glanced at the potted flowers. With a slight smile, he took it and carried it to his work place. Jung Min and Kyu Jong was quite surprised by this. 

"What the heck is this for?" exclaimed Jung Min, his eyes widening. 

"I'm bringing it home later," Hyun Joong said with a shrug as he put it in his office. 

At lunch, he headed to lunch and met the dog again. During the period of two weeks, he had learned to train it with food and he got it stand and sit before letting it have the meat. It was still as eager as ever. 

After work, he carried the potted plant out the door and jumped in surprised when he saw the caramel fur dog waiting for him. 

"What are you doing here?" he asked the dog and bashed himself mentally for doing so, since the dog obviously wouldn't answer. 

Surprisingly, the dog did with a quiet, high-pitched whine. Hyun Joong sighed and carefully headed down the street, cautious not to bump into anyone. When he turned around to apologize to a stranger, he spotted the dog following him. It was strange, but he let it. 

As he made it to the entrance of the park, he hurriedly put his stuff down and made his way over to where the elderly lady was, waiting at the side beside her food stall at the curb of the street. 

"Young man! Come help me!" she exclaimed with a big wave as she spotted him. 

"I'm here," he replied when he reached her and together, they pushed the cart up together, laughing when something fell and hurriedly picking it up before something else dropped. 

The dog continued to follow him. Hyun Joong dashed over to where Young Saeng and Hyung Jun usually were and to his surprise, Hyung Jun wasn't there. Only Young Saeng kneeled, his head raising up expectingly. 

Hyun Joong's heart began to pound on his chest as he put the pot down. What happened? Where was Hyung Jun? 

The business man was about to open his mouth to ask, his eyes full of worry, when suddenly, a shout came from nearby. "Hyung!"

Young Saeng and Hyun Joong both looked over at the entrance of the park to see Hyung Jun running towards them before stopping a few meters away. His dirty clothes were changed into a school uniform, his brown hair neat and tidy and his skin clean of dust. Hyun Joong's jaw almost dropped and he was glad he had put the plant down when he did or else he would've let go of it at the surprise. 

He switched his gaze back to younger man who was smiling widely, his dimples showing at either side of his cheeks. Hyun Joong's heart skipped a beat, just like the first time he had seen the man smile (which was around a week ago). 

Young Saeng stood up and faced Hyun Joong. Hyung Jun ran towards his hyung and hugged him tightly, his happy laughter like chimes. 

"I don't know how I'll ever thank you," Young Saeng said to the business man gently, gazing lovingly down at his little brother. "This was all Hyung Jun ever wanted. To go to school and to make friends. I really can't thank you enough."

Hyun Joong felt suddenly felt tears trickle down his cheeks and quickly wiped down. He kneeled down and put his arms out. "Come on, give this hyung a hug."

Hyung Jun let go of his brother and jumped into Hyun Joong's arms. The business man chuckled and waved the dog over to his side. The animal obeyed and trotted over, brushing his thin body against his leg. 

"Is this your dog?" Young Saeng asked curiously when he saw the little thing. 

Hyun Joong shrugged, putting Hyung Jun down. "Kind of... He kind of just followed me, so I guess so."

Young Saeng smiled. "Hyun Joong-ssi, thank you so much. I owe you so much and I really don't know how I'll repay you, how I'll ever thank you."

"I know how."

The younger man blinked in surprise, not expecting that answer, but gestured for the business man to continue. Hyun Joong took hold of Young Saeng's wrist. "Come live with me. I don't want to see you out on these streets anymore. It's cold at night and it's unbearable in the winter. Come with me."

Young Saeng's eyes widened and he frantically shook his head. "No, I can't. That's just going to make me more indebted towards you and I don't want to be a burden. Hyung Jun and I can manage. We've been out here for a winter before and we got through it."

"This is a way to repay me," Hyun Joong insisted. "I'll pay for the rest of Hyung Jun's school fees. I have an extra room for you two and it won't be a burden at all."

"But..."

"Let's try this out. If it doesn't work, then we'll decide on the outcomes later, okay?"

To Hyun Joong's relief, Young Saeng bit his lower lip and nodded. 

 


 

(Six months later)

Hyun Joong woke up to the sound of eggs sizzling on the frying pan and the delicious smell of bacon. Since Young Saeng had moved in, he had never had to prepare his own breakfast anymore. 

"Hyung! Hyung!" the high voice of Hyung Jun came as the door burst open and in skipped an excited looking bubbly boy with his caramel dog following close behind. "It's Bring-Your-Parents Day today! Hyung, you said yesterday you would come!"

Hyun Joong chuckled. "Yeah, I know. I'm coming."

The man got out of bed and walked out the door towards the kitchen, the dog following; but not before turning to Hyung Jun and telling him to go his room and change into his uniform, in which Hyung Jun immediately obeyed and pranced to his room, singing a random tune and dragging along the dog, now named Daengie. 

Hyun Joong's mouth formed a wide, content grin when he saw Young Saeng in his usual white apron on top of his pajamas, cooking their breakfast. He took a step forward and heard a small gasp leaving the shorter's lips as he slid his arms around the man's waist. Young Saeng's ribs weren't as prominent anymore since he was eating properly now, but since his appetite wasn't big, he didn't gain much weight. 

"Young Saeng-ah, you're going with me today, right?" Hyun Joong murmured into the younger's ear, causing a shiver to travel down the latter's spine. 

"Yes, of course," Young Saeng responded as he flipped over the egg. "It's my brother, of course I have to go."

Hyun Joong smiled as he cupped Young Saeng's round cheek and gently pecked the latter's plump lips. Young Saeng blushed, like usual, and quickly turned away shyly, quickly putting the eggs on a plate and turning off the stove. 

"Aigoo, you're still shy over just a quick kiss?" teased the older, playfully pinching the younger's cheeks. 

The shorter pouted but couldn't hold back a smile. Hyun Joong could see the latter's ears turning red. He chuckled and leaned in, about to connect their lips for a deeper kiss when Hyung Jun's shrill voice suddenly interrupted the mood. 

"Ah!!! My hyungs were about to kiss!!!" Hyung Jun's voice exclaimed along with a loud bark, causing Young Saeng to quickly push Hyun Joong away, his ears flaming. 

"Ya! It's not like you haven't seen it before!" Hyun Joong yelled at the little boy as he saw the tip of Hyung Jun's uniform disappear and heard the six year-old boy's footsteps fading into the living room, probably to where Daengie was. 

Hyun Joong quickly brought his attention back to Young Saeng and without letting the latter protest, he brought the latter closer to him and pressed their lips together softly and let his love overwhelm him for the moment. Young Saeng didn't struggle and melted in the kiss, the older's arms supporting his weight as he tilted his head and his eyes fluttered closed. 

Hyun Joong was content with his life now. He was thankful he had met the elderly lady by the roadside, was thankful he had met Daengie at lunch time, was thankful for getting wet on that fateful day when he had encountered that beautiful potted flower. But what he was most thankful for was meeting Hyung Jun and especially Young Saeng, who was now the love of his life. 

He realized that there was nothing better than this, than love, than happiness, than feeling a warmth in his heart that not even money could replace. He wasn't rich, but he felt like the richest man in the world.

When the two broke away, Hyun Joong gazed deeply into his lover's eyes, the latter staring back as he spoke. "I love you, Hyun Joong-ah."

Hyun Joong smiled. This was more than he could ever ask for. 

 

 

==============================================================

Cheesy, extremely cheesy, but this is a lesson to help make the world a better place. Haha~ 

Was inspired by a Thai commercial. I think many of you have seen it since it was everywhere on Facebook. It is the best commercial, honestly. Basically, it's this story plot, except I added a few more thing. 

So? What do you think?