False Alarms and Bets

Fires, Photography, and Yosemite National Park

"M-my photographs?" Luhan stammers in slight surprise, eyes widening as he drops his spoon into his nearly-empty bowl of soup. He's still stunned from the gracious offer and opportunity he's been given, the question sails in one ear and right out the other. 

"You know, on your fancy camera?" Yixing interjects, making Luhan pink from embarrassment, feeling a bit foolish for his lack of comprehension. 

"Oh! Yeah, of course!" Luhan says, sitting more upright in his seat when he's finally snapped back to the situation and out of the tumbling thoughts of his mind. "I'll go ge-"

"Finish your soup first." Kyungsoo says just as Luhan's getting up, so the latter is caught in a semi-awkward half sitting half standing stance. 

"Oh. Er. Okay." Luhan says as he slowly lowers himself back down, taking the last few spoonfuls left of his soup, ignoring the fact that it felt like his stomach was actually bursting from all the food. 

"Don't worry about it,"Yixing mutters as he beings to slurp at some of his soup that he had nearly forgotten about, shooting a pointed glance at Kyungsoo, "It's one of his pet peeves to waste food, though I don't understand why when he can't even finish his own food."

Luhan wipes his mouth with a napkin as he looks up, and it's true because Kyungsoo's bowl looks almost untouched. 

"I just serve myself too much, that's all! And I save it for later!" Kyungsoo tries to defend himself, but the pink tinge on his cheeks gives him away. "But I definitely don't waste the leftovers from the pan, okay? I give them to someone else. That's all."

"Okay, Kyungsoo, okay. No need to get all defensive~" Yixing teases, eating away at his soup before Kyungsoo can scold him about not eating enough. 

Luhan chuckles as he scoots out of his chair, going to the room he's so kindly been lent for his camera. 

"Hold on, let me go get my camera." 

Kyungsoo nods and smiles in anticipation before he gets up as well, taking Luhan's bowl and his own back to the sink. He pours the remains of his own soup into a styrofoam container and divides the leftovers from the pot into another container. 

Just as Yixing brings a spoon to his lips Kyungsoo's setting down the bowls into the sink for washing later (he likes to hand wash the dishes--he sees no point in using the dishwasher when he has the time to do it himself-and it saves a surprisingly good amount on their electricity bill, probably because the dishwasher has got to be at least ten years old), a shriek is heard from the direction of the guest room (which is really just Luhan's room now). Yixing chokes and splutters mid-swallow, and Kyungsoo jumps in surprise, the bowls clanking against the stainless steel bottom of the sink. 

"Wh-what?" Yixing chokes in between coughs as Kyungsoo's eyes widen in surprise and worry. 

When Luhan doesn't emerge, the two bolt down the hallway. 

"Luhan?" Kyungsoo calls in genuine concern, both he and Yiximg startled by the cry. 

The door's closed to they can't exactly see inside, but they do hear lots of scrambling and shuffling, and a groan that most definitely belongs to Luhan. 

With an almost cautious hand, Kyungsoo grips the doorknob and nods at Yixing, the two wordlessly communicating as the latter silently pulls out his phone. 911 is pre-dialed in case they need it, and the two of them swiftly enter the room like they've done something like this before. 

But the sight is most definitely not what they expected, and Yixing puts away his phone. Both he and Kyungsoo are severely confused at the sight of a flustered Luhan pacing around in circles on a floor covered with what they presume to be clothes flung around out the latter's suitcase, which is wide open and empty on the bed. 

"Uh. Luhan?" Yixing pipes in as Kyungsoo gapes slightly at the mess, because how could anyone make such a big mess in such little time?!

They get a groan in response, with Luhan's hands gesturing wildly for a moment before grasping at his blonde locks again. 

Both Yixing and Kyungsoo have relaxed because there's really no immediate danger. Well, they don't even know what Luhan's even freaking out about yet, but as long as nobody's hurt or getting mugged, the two assume that there's no crisis. 

"Words please, Luhan. Words." Yixing says as Luhan lets out another series of pitched whines and groans that sound like a mixture of misery and anxiety. 

Finally stopping his mad search, Luhan drops the clothes gripped in his hands, dropping down onto the bed dejectedly. 

"My camera." He mumbles sadly, "I don't know where it is. I swear I brought it from the hotel, and I thought I had it for sure so it should've been in my suitcase or at least on the bed or something, but it's not here so does that mean someone stole it somehow or did I forget it somewhere at the hotel or something or-oh no, that camera cost me a fortune, I can't afford to buy a new one for this trip--" 

Luhan's increasingly intense rant gets interrupted by Yixing, who's holding back a chuckle with the back of his hand at the former's exaggerated actions. 

"Luhan, stop panicking." Yixing says, now holding back full on laughter, and Kyungsoo turns to him, eyebrows furrowed in confusion and worry. 

"Shouldn't he be panicking?" Kyungsoo asks, shooting side glances at Luhan who's at least attempting to control his emotions. Though he's failing terribly. 

"Are you sure you've lost your camera?" Yixing hums, mock thinking as he taps his chin, "Or maybe you've left it in the car? Because I remember a black camera bag sitting in the backseat..."

Luhan's eyes widen in surprise right before he lets out a sigh of relief, the stiffness and tension leaving his body.  In fact, his knees nearly buckle because of how wobbly his legs are, and he ends up falling back on to the bed in a sitting position because the five minutes or so of grief really took a toll on him.

But, after the wave of relief washes over and away, Luhan’s mind comes back to reality to hear Yixing’s and Kyungsoo’s snickers as they hide their smiles behind their hands.

And all of a sudden, Luhan feels embarrassed. Extremely embarrassed. He can feel the heat radiating off his cheeks as his flush washes all the way up to the tips of his ears and he groans, covering his face in his hands as both Yixing and Kyungsoo begin to full on laugh.

“Stooop.” Luhan groans, glad there’s a pillow on the bed so he can cover his beet red face.

“C-can’t,” Kyungsoo gasps, tears of mirth leaving the corners of his eyes as his frame hunches over, struggling to breathe as he laughs, clutching at his stomach, “I th-thought you were g-getting m-mugged or something!”

“Oh, g-god! Luhan, I can’t believe y-you panicked s-so hard—“ Yixing gasps right after, taking wobbly steps towards the bed before leaping onto Luhan, still laughing as he struggles to wrench away the pillow from Luhan’s face.

“Leave me alone!” Luhan groans again out of sheer embarrassment, though he’s easily able to keep the pillow over his red face over Yixing who’s struggling for breath.

Kyungsoo takes the incentive to also leap onto the pile, and with his combined strength, he and Yixing wrench the white pillow away, and Luhan begins to laugh soon after at the ridiculousness of it all.

He gives a playful punch on both Yixing’s and Kyungsoo’s shoulders in retaliation.

 

“You cheated!” Chanyeol protests after he hops out of the fire truck, shuffling sadly towards Joonmyeon who has a cocky smirk on his lips.

“I’ve told you before, and I’ll tell you now, Chanyeol. I’ve always won. And don’t you dare count your little cheating tactics.”

Chanyeol deflates even further as he narrows his eyes at Joonmyeon, his gaze sparking with competition.

“Just you wait, Kim Joonmyeon, just you wait. I bet you one day you’re going to drop the ball.”

And Chanyeol stalks off to rid himself of his heavy gear, though he’s really not tired since the call was really just a false alarm.

“In your dreams, Park!” Joonmyeon shouts with a smirk, “Like your driver could ever oust me!”

 

“Twenty dollars that Joonmyeon won’t let Chanyeol legitimately win in the next month.”

“What, are you into betting now or something, Sehun?” Jongin questions with a raise of an eyebrow and an upward quirk of his lip. His arms are crossed over his chest as he and Sehun watch Chanyeol and Joonmyeon begin to quarrel again, with the shorter winning the verbal battle with his wit.

Sehun shrugs, an amused smile gracing his features.

“Maybe I’ll just try something new. Who knows. Are you in or are you not?”

Sehun’s grin is a challenge, and Jongin takes it as they spectate the fight with insults flying, but they both know that their fire station is the best around—for their efficiency, teamwork, and friendship. Though it may not always seem to be the case.

“I’m in. Twenty on Chanyeol for a win in the next month. Punishment for the loser?”

And this time it’s Jongin’s challenging grin that causes Sehun to nod.

“We can figure that out later, but for now, let’s pack up and head home,” Sehun chuckles as he steps forward, easily using his authority to break up the conflict and send all their men back to the locker rooms to change before heading home.