The (Embarrassing) Morning of the Job

Fires, Photography, and Yosemite National Park

“Ugh…” Jongdae groans, rolling around in bed. There’s a pounding on his bedroom door, and he scrunches his eyes even tighter before using a pillow to cover his head in an attempt to drown out the noise.

“Mooom,” he whines, “Just five more minutes, please!”

Jongdae hears a laugh, but it’s muffled through both the door and the pillow that’s smothering his face. And the laugh definitely doesn’t sound like his mother’s. But he’s a little too tired to pinpoint where he recognizes the voice from as the knocking persists.

Groaning again, Jongdae can feel a headache coming on, but he breathes a sigh of relief as the knocking finally comes to a stop, and he misses the sound of the door swinging open.

Thinking he’s been lucky enough to be granted a few more minutes, Jongdae sighs into the pillow still on his face as his body relaxes under the covers, prepared to get a little more shut eye.

And suddenly a body is on top of him and Jongdae nearly shrieks, body fumbling and twisting because oh god, he thinks, how did a get into my room?!

“STRANGER DANGER GET OFF ME. I WILL BLOW MY WHISTLE GET OFF—“

And as Jongdae yells and screams, he hears laughter that again, he finds familiar, but can’t exactly pinpoint. He’s still blinded by the pillow that’s somehow managed to stay attached to his face, blocking his vision as the stranger half sitting on his legs.

“WHAT KIND OF SADISTIC MOTHERER ARE YOU I SWEAR IF YOU EVEN—“

And then the pillow falls off to reveal Minseok, who’s laughing so hard he’s barely making any noises anymore, and he’s clutching at his stomach because he seriously can’t breathe.

“M-minseok?” Jongdae stammers once he finds his voice, eyes wide from surprise and shock.

“J-jongdae, o-oh my g-god, y-you…” Minseok attempts to speak, only to break off into another severe fit of laughter, his body now doubled over and curled on Jongdae’s bed.

Once Jongdae finally grasps the situation, like the fact that it was Minseok knocking on the door and not his mom, and that he pretty much just freaked out over the fact that he thought he was getting , but it was really just Minseok attacking him.

“Stop laughing!” Jongdae retorts, trying to refrain from being too embarrassed, but the red flush is already spreading across his cheeks.

“O-okay, okay,” Minseok gasps between breaths, trying to calm himself. But he fails as the giggles rise up in his throat again, his attempts at sitting up failing as he falls back down onto the bedsheets.

No longer amused at all, Jongdae furrows his eyebrows, now indignant.

“Stop laughing, and get off my bed!” He shouts, hands reaching forward to shove his friend off his mattress. Minseok, already lacking oxygen and leverage, has no choice but to get shoved off, his laughs finally fading as he rolls a few times on the floor.

“God! How did you even get in here?” Jongdae asks incredulously, throwing a pillow at Minseok, who is now sitting up on the carpet.

Minseok easily catches the pillow, being wide awake, while Jongdae is still a little bit sluggish from sleep, nailing the other in the head.

“Your mom let me in, duh. Besides we have to be up early to get to the fire station, remember?”

“Fire…station?” Jongdae mutters before his eyes widen, remembering not to be late, “! The fire station! What time is it?”

“LANGUAGE YOUNG MAN” Jongdae hears his mom call, and he winces before calling back.

“YES MOMMY—I MEAN MOTHER. YES MOTHER.”

Minseok raises an eyebrow from his spot on the floor before standing up, stretching slightly.

“Ouch,” he murmurs, rubbing the spot on his shoulder that hit the floor rather harshly, “But really? ‘Mommy’?” he mocks playfully with a chuckle, imitating a child.

“And this is why we always go to your house,” Jongdae mutters under his breath before launching himself out of bed to tackle his friend down to the carpeted floor.

“Are you really still in the position to mock me like that?” Jongdae threatens playfully from his position on top of his friend, effectively trapping the other’s body under his own.

Minseok seems frozen from shock for a moment, just about to nod ‘yes’ before his eyes widen even further, a laugh escaping his throat.

Jongdae’s face twists into confusion, because what could Minseok even be laughing at.

His friend points a finger at him, not at his face, but lower, and when Jongdae looks down, his face reddens instantly like a cherry tomato.

“Shut up!” he screams in embarrassment, immediately hopping off his friend and cocooning himself into his blankets before shoving Minseok out of his room. “Shut up shut up shut up!” He chants over and over again as Minseok fails to stop his laughter, eventually stumbling his way down the stairs and into Jongdae’s mother.

She smiles fondly, because Minseok had always been one of her favorites out of Jongdae’s plethora of friends, being such a good influence, but also because she knows that Minseok holds a special place in her son’s heart, though maybe neither of the two boys have really noticed it.

A string of curses can be heard coming from Jongdae’s bedroom upstairs, and as Minseok laughs, Jongdae’s mother yells up the stairs, “LANGUAGE.”

The curses immediately stop and shift into grumbling, and Minseok finally catches his breath in time to murmur, “Yes mommy,” and Jongdae’s mother smiles fondly, ruffling a hand into her son’s friend’s hair before turning towards the kitchen.

“Come on, I made breakfast. Jongdae will be down soon once the smell of pancakes drifts far enough. And what was so funny?”

“Yes, Mrs. Kim,” Minseok nods obediently, trailing behind as a grin breaks out across his face, “He was wearing a pair of pink heart boxers.”

***

Jongdae’s embarrassed as he shuffles into the kitchen, face still faintly pink as his gaze is directed at the ground.

“Good morning.” He grumbles quietly, scooting into a seat beside Minseok. Though his mood is sour, it quickly lifts as a high stack of blueberry pancakes are stacked in front of him, and he his lips, humming happily.

“If you boys want any more,” Jongdae’s mother says, sliding a third tall plate of pancakes in front of the two before slipping away to give the two some time.

“Thanks!” They respond in unison.

Minseok grins as he takes a bite of food, waiting for just the right moment before speaking, just as Jongdae starts chewing on his first bite.

“So, pink boxers? Really?”

And Jongdae chokes, just like Minseok planned, and he hacks for a few moments before turning towards his friend, a murderous glint in his eye.

“They’re comfy, okay? End of story.”

“Mhm,” Minseok hums dubiously, giving his friend a light nudge, “Hurry up and eat before we’re late.”