Photography and Not-Quite Introductions

Fires, Photography, and Yosemite National Park

“Wow…” Jongin murmurs, gaze glued down to the Nikon camera in his hands.

Chanyeol turns his own gaze away from Sehun, who’s coming back from talking to the manager, and also looks down at the black object in Jongin’s hands.

“Yeah, it looks expensive. I wonder how much that kid had to pay for this.”

“No,” Jongin says, “That’s not what I meant. Just look at these.”

He turns the digital screen of the camera towards Chanyeol, and the giant’s eyes widen.

“…” is all Chanyeol can utter as the pictures of their work from the day before pan across the screen.

“They’re amazing, aren’t they?” Jongin hums, almost proudly just for discovering the golden photos stored in the camera as Chanyeol continues to gape.

“Are you snooping through someone else’s things again, Jongin?” Sehun says as he approaches his friends, who obviously seem to be engrossed in a camera.

“Again?” Jongin gasps, feigning hurt, “What do you take me for? Besides, it’s not snooping, it’s just satisfying my strong sense of curiosity.”

Chanyeol snorts hearing Jongin’s defense and comes out of his daze, tone sarcastic. “Riiight. That’s totally it…”

“That’s beside the point.” Jongin retorts, scrunching his nose before his attention returns back to the camera in his hands, “Look at what I found, Sehun.” He tilts the screen in Sehun’s direction as he did for Chanyeol, but Sehun speaks first, refusing to see the screen.

“I’m not going to look, Jongin. You know how I feel about invasion of privacy. And what would Kyungsoo say-“ Sehun stops short from reprimanding Jongin just as he catches a glimpse of the image on the digital screen, and he suddenly can’t tear his gaze away.

“Do we always look that attractive when we’re working?” Chanyeol chuckles, but Sehun can’t stop looking at the picture. He couldn’t even look away if he wanted it.

It’s perfect, he thinks.

He’d never really seen photographs or art as something really phenomenal or breathtaking, but these remind him to take the breath he’s been holding.

The way the lighting catches their skin, the natural essence of his crew at work, functioning perfectly, and—“Wow…” Sehun finds himself saying as Jongin clicks to the next image.

It’s of himself, Sehun realizes, and so is the next one, and the next one, and the next one.

Chanyeol raises a teasing eyebrow, a smirk played out on his lips.

“Maybe this kid has the hots for you.”

Before Sehun can retort back (because Chanyeol’s always been teasing him about his long list of admirers since high school) Jongin turns, feeling a light tap on his shoulder.

“You have my things?” Luhan asks in a slightly quiet tone (his voice is shaking too since he’s shivering from the cold) still embarrassed about earlier, though it seems as if the firemen have already brushed off and forgotten the incident.

But Luhan wonders why the three all look so startled and surprised, especially Jongin and—oh.

Luhan’s cheeks pink, because his camera is on and in Jongin’s hands, and he can see the shots he took of them before, and oh no, no, no, n-

“You take really great photos!” Chanyeol interrupts the tense silence, hoping to save the rapidly blushing boy from further embarrassment.

“Th-thanks…” Luhan stammers, surprised that the men aren’t freaked out—rather, they’re impressed, but that doesn’t lessen his embarrassment.

“Yeah!” Jongin agrees, “I didn’t even know you were taking picutres of us, but you make everything look amazing!”

As Luhan’s blush deepens and as Jongin and Chanyeol continue to spit out compliments, seemingly unaware of the boy’s embarrassment, Sehun sees how the other male is fidgeting under his friend’s gazes, probably fighting the urge to run off and hide in a corner.

Sehun chuckles to himself before taking the camera from Jongin (who’s still too busy complimenting Luhan) and packs it carefully into the case before coming to push Chanyeol and Jongin away from the boy who seems to keep shrinking under their gazes, slipping the camera bag around the male’s neck.

“Leave him alone, guys. You don’t even know his name,” Sehun scolds as he takes the suitcase that’s sitting by Chanyeol’s feet.

“But we do know his name! It’s Luhan!” Jongin whines before Chanyeol pipes in.

“And he knows ours!”

Sehun rolls his eyes before waving his friends away, guiding Luhan away from the ruckus and back to the hotel manager, who’s speaking on his cellphone.

“Sorry about them,” Sehun apologizes as they near Yixing, Luhan’s suitcase handle in his hand.

He’s surprised to receive a smile as the shorter male shakes his head.

“It’s okay, Sehun,” Luhan says, genuinely liking Jongin and Chanyeol.

Yes, they were weird and crazy, but he found it pleasant. Jongin and Chanyeol are like the two goofballs he could imagine getting along with anyone and brightening the mood in an instant.

“They were…interesting,” Luhan laughs softly, taking the luggage from Sehun’s hand in a cool, calm, and collected manner that did not at all reflect the pandemonium of emotions inside.

“And thank you, Sehun, really.” Luhan says, bowing slightly, a feeling of butterflies in his stomach and the sound of his heartbeat pounding in his ears.

Sehun likes the way the shorter said his name, and he feels more gratification hearing the words ‘thank you’ coming from Luhan’s pretty little pin—o-oh, he means Luhan’s lips, than anyone else’s.

“No problem,” he murmurs just as Yixing comes off the phone, taking his own leave back to his friends.

Luhan watches as Sehun leaves before turning towards Yixing, who takes his suitcase for him.

“Let’s go. I’m assuming you want to take your car, and it’s probably in the parking lot.”

Luhan smiles and nods, the tips of his ears faintly red as the butterflies in his stomach are finally starting to settle.

 

“Possessive, aren’t you?” Jongin smirks when Sehun’s back, and the latter rolls his eyes, his tone sarcastic.

“Right, totally possessive of a complete stranger since I’ve just seen him for the first time in my life. I haven’t even properly met him.”

“But he’s met us,” Chanyeol comments, referring to the pictures on Luhan’s camera from earlier, “Maybe you have a stalker?”

Jongin scrunches his nose playfully before smirking again, “It wouldn’t be the first.”

Sehun snorts, shaking his head as he gives both his friends a playful shove. “It’s time to get back. Load up your crew.”

Jongin pouts, holding his arm where he was pushed as he feigned hurt. “Ouch…you’re no fun…” he grumbles, but both he and Chanyeol oblige, gathering their own teams before loading up and heading back to the station.